1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Thought of an even worse way to frame someone innocent

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Sari, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sari

Sari Helpful Member

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:50710336
    After reading this, I started thinking of ways that scammers could frame others, and I think I thought of one that might actually work. Unlike the one previously mentioned, this method would only involve two people (no need for alts/fake chats): the person trying to frame the individual (I'll just use myself as an example) and the innocent person (I'll just call him Bob).

So let's just say that-for some strange reason-I really hate Bob (though he has no idea who I am) and it would make my day to see him get tagged. He's also currently buying TF2 items for PP money and also has a lot of rep compared to me which means I'll have to go first. I would send him an invite and since he has more rep, I would trade him my TF2 items first. As soon as I finished trading him my items, I would say something like: "alright are you gonna send the money?" and as soon as I say that, I quickly remove him from my friends-list and take screenshots of the chat. The screenshots of the chat would make it look like he removed me instead of the other way around (most people would think, "why would I want to lose my items?").

The chat would pretty much be something like this:

Me: Hey
    Bob: Hey
    Me: So your buying items for money?
    Bob: Yep
    Me: Ok
    [You have accepted the trade message, we don't say anything and then the trade finishes]
    Me: Ok there you go
    Me: So are you gonna send the money? [I then remove Bob as soon as I say this]
    Bob is now offline
    Me: Hey are you there?
    [I would then screenshot this and use it as my evidence]

Would this method work, and if so, would there be a way to tell who's innocent and who's not?
  2. Duskfall -a^DF

Duskfall -a^DF New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41806566
    Why would you want to lose items/money just to get someone marked?
  3. Sari

Sari Helpful Member

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:50710336
    Because [in my story], I really hate Bob and would do anything to get him tagged (I would never actually do this though, it's just a scenario).
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Normal staging such a trade is that first all information is exchanged, including the paypal email. When the trade commences, and you remove "bob", "bob" can pay just fine on paypal.

"bob" can defend easily showing his transaction history then, which will be close to the date and time the conversation happened.

It would ultimately result in the reporter to be marked scammer, for falsifying a report.
    ForteSP likes this.
  5. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    To counter this, just make a video showing you trying to readd the guy, and then refund his money.
    No scammer would return the money after removing someone.

Also, you can now get the guy mark for trying to attack your rep.
  6. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    We do have somewhere in rules that we can mark ppl that falsify reports. Most times its not intentionally (impersonations that they haven't figured out). Its not impersonation really in this case. I'm just glad that such almost doesn't happen. I've not looked at your report, but such really depends on what/who/how things happen.
  8. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182

well looking at it isn't important. It's just an old report that was accepted where a user made 2 accounts and copied my name and went around saying incredibly offensive things and attacking other users in such a way that I would never do in order to harm my reputation
  9. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868

Honestly, there's no fool proof way to "frame" someone. Because no matter what you do, you're going to have to falsify or modify the evidence and they can easily prove you wrong, resulting in a tag for the attempted "framing".
  10. D2Girls

D2Girls New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:17721741
    Would never work... unless the person you are dealing with is an absolute moron.
  11. Gamma032

Gamma032 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42303924
    Are users notified if they're about to be marked? All of these things you guys are suggesting would only work if the person involved actually saw the report in the first place. Even then they've gotta wait 3 months + for their appeal to be seen if they find out too late.
  12. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:

SR staff launch investigations and speak with the necessary parties. Especially if there appears to be doctored evidence.
  13. HissTheHeavy

HissTheHeavy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:56480850
    *thinks of way to frame someone*
    *posts it on a well known site many wannabe scammers or framers can access*
    In all seriousness, let's say this metaphorical Sari has a fake PayPal, or has made up a PayPal e-mail that definitely doesn't exist. There would be an error in sending that way. And you hide personal details.
    I guess there are ways it could work, which are quickly countered by proving it actually wouldn't work.
  14. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:
    This thread has more than served its purpose and doesn't need to be dug up.

Locked.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.