1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Timeframe of cached chats?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Salmon, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    Does anyone know how long Valve keeps chats cached in Steam? Or how long they stay cached for web chat?
  2. SIVARTZ

SIVARTZ Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:46928737
  3. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
  4. Salmon

Steam:
    That's two and a half years ago. I can't seem to find any info about how long the cache persists. I've seen chats up to two weeks old still be saved but haven't specifically checked anything longer than that.
    Rosalina likes this.
  5. ♥Little shanie♥~

♥Little shanie♥~ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:30747019
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I had a fair look around my friends list and looked at about 60+ chats, i found these three which were the longest saved chat logs, they saved on the app and the web chat app (https://steamcommunity.com/chat/)

Hope this helps a little, also if it means anything i have never seen a chat log which is older than 10 days.
  6. ♥Little shanie♥~

♥Little shanie♥~ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:30747019
    Sorry i just found this,
    [​IMG]

i'm quite confused now, i don't mean to be off topic but i have messaged people and got messages from them on the 11th and i'm unable to see the chat logs from , yet i have one here from the 8th...
  7. Salmon

Steam:
    I've also noticed that I could have had a conversation a few days ago, then a short convo this morning and it will only save the convo from this morning.

The furthest back chat I can find right now is from the 6th of August.