1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

To All Those Who Are Eager To Help! (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by HelenAngel, Aug 30, 2012.

1. HelenAngel

HelenAngel Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8627755
    First, THANK YOU so much for being such an active and helpful part of the community! :) If you haven't noticed, we are getting more and more reports. While this is a fantastic thing because it means the word about SteamRep is spreading, we are growing pretty rapidly and your help is definitely appreciated!

I definitely don't want to put a damper on the cooperative spirit, but if you could please follow these guidelines when helping on threads, I would really appreciate it! :)

• Always be polite & friendly. For many people, this is their first time here and we want them to feel welcome- especially given the unfortunate circumstances surrounding scam reports.
    • Don't just tell someone their report is not in the proper format. DO tell them politely what they need to add to their thread specifically and link them to guides here.
    • Don't make judgement calls on cases- leave that to the moderators & admins. :) All SR admins & moderators are trained extensively on what type of evidence is needed for each case and the like. In addition, I've seen some people say, 'SteamRep doesn't mark for this' etc. Depending on what it is, we can make exceptions. So it's better to just let the admins handle it.
    • Feel free to PM me if you think something should be brought to my attention, such as threads that have gotten out of control, hijackings, or other emergencies. I am on this forum constantly so you can be assured that I'll get your PM sometimes even faster than I will get a message on Steam.
    • If you see an offensive post, click the Report link at the bottom of the post rather than try to take matters into your own hands. Don't feed the trolls. ;)
    • Add to a post but try not to be repetitive. :) We don't want to confuse the OP (original poster) OR the admin/moderator who handles it later. Read the comments first and just add anything that needs to be added.
    • Don't criticize, just assist. We get scam reports from all over, from all sorts of different people. Just be helpful and productive.
    • Don't mix up your own case into another case. Make your own report.
    • Don't make judgment calls on what cases we do and don't handle. Mann Co Trading handles all of our sharking reports but for all other types of reports, please let a moderator or admin inform the reporter regarding what types of reports we do and do not handle.
    • If you don't know DotA 2 items, please don't try to comment on DotA 2 scams. DotA 2 has some unique items with unique properties that TF2 does not have. Some DotA 2 scams have been misunderstood as sharking when they are, indeed, scams. If you do not have a strong familiarity with DotA and its items, please don't comment on these scams. :)
    • Reports are NOT discussion threads. If your post is NOT adding evidence or information to the report in either way proving or disproving the report, then you SHOULD NOT POST.
    As I said before, I think it is fantastic that we have such a helpful and active community here. Just follow those guidelines and things will go great! Thanks so much and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to either post them on this thread or PM me.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  2. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    Lots of emphasis on the "Don't make judgement calls on cases- leave that to the moderators & admins."
  3. Melkor

Melkor New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:45978671
    Roger that.
    We appreciate your hard work. Thanks for everything Helen!
  4. [SC]Y2K95

[SC]Y2K95 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26458885
    Not a problem.
    Thank you for making the TF2 Trading Community better.
  5. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    IMO this help thread is missing something which is to stop the Vigilante posting. There is really no reason for others from other groups to be posting in say the comm application threads...it really isn't their place to argue how that other group is running their ship - leave that between SR and that Group so a restriction of only those with that group and SR Admins should be allowed to post in them if you ask me. Aside from that its just too many here that are IMO "trying to hard to butter up/butt kiss" to get buddy buddy by posting around in various threads they do not belong which only trashes up a thread regardless if what is posted above is followed.

I grit my teeth for every one I see which till now didn't really have guidelines to follow so I really think this should be added in some form or another and certainly policed.
  6. QuackerTheDucky Butt

QuackerTheDucky Butt New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:52252653
    Very useful :D Thanks Helen!
  7. SMOKABLES

SMOKABLES New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:45215202
    Thanks for everything you've done to make the trading community a better place!
  8. Nero Chinki

Nero Chinki New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:30535511
    Will keep this information in mind, as i usually post the proper format for them asking for anything to speed up the process such as screenshots / Inventory or Paypal history depending on the scam. As all, i remain neutral until a SR Admin makes the call over a report.
  9. Mk.Ultra Mullet LagLord

Mk.Ultra Mullet LagLord New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:24178281
    When we post a report are we allowed to add further evidence/testimonies to the original report through the comments? ( currently there's a scammer who keeps on trying to do the same quick swap scam on outpost and about 9 people have confirmed that he attempted to scam them and 2 of the victims have screen caps)
  10. Nero Chinki

Nero Chinki New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:30535511
    Any information or screencaps that would add to the report are allways welcome as far as i see, so it shouldnt be that big of an issue.
  11. DragonPC

DragonPC New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:12796785
    Thanks alot ! This Website - Forum is the Best Choice for us :)
  12. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Correct, any forgotten info, or info coming in later can be added to reply posts on the report thread, unless the report is handled to a final state. If this new info is crucial and the report already locked, one can make a new report, and link to the old one with the new info.
  13. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

added:

Don't mix up your own case into another case. Make your own report.
  14. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    I welcome people who want to help out, as long as it doesn't interfere with anything.
  15. AGENTrader™

AGENTrader™ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:56847340
  16. Duskfall -a^DF

Duskfall -a^DF New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41806566
    Of course, but make sure you actually have something to contribute when you post.
  17. InteL|FearSC on Duxter

InteL|FearSC on Duxter New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:18825703
    I contact all friends of scammer and warn them that the concerned is scammer, and not to provide any personal information or to trade with same.They are greatfull cos they told me i've saved their accounts. This happend couple of min ago.
    [​IMG]
    Siji and Nøstalgia like this.
  18. TF2-Pro

TF2-Pro New User

Roger All that hard work done
    :)
  19. DonGoni187

DonGoni187 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:55780745
    OMG this page is the greatest. REALLY dident know that ADMINS go around and help people if they get scammed just untill today. WOW im gonna live in this side. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS <3
  20. HelenAngel

HelenAngel Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8627755
    Updated to include 2 new guidelines:

• Don't make judgment calls on what cases we do and don't handle. Mann Co Trading handles all of our sharking reports but for all other types of reports, please let a moderator or admin inform the reporter regarding what types of reports we do and do not handle.
    • If you don't know DotA 2 items, please don't try to comment on DotA 2 scams. DotA 2 has some unique items with unique properties that TF2 does not have. Some DotA 2 scams have been misunderstood as sharking when they are, indeed, scams. If you do not have a strong familiarity with DotA and its items, please don't comment on these scams. :)