1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Two suggestions for the site

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Salmon, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this, seems about as close as I could find.

1) When doing a search with a non-permanent steamid, the URL returned should be with a permanent id. This allows for the internet history of a browser to actually find a profile even if they change their "soft" id. For example, searching "williemy", my soft id, gives a URL of http://steamrep.com/search?q=williemy, when I think it should give http://steamrep.com/search?q=76561198002272483 instead. Ideally, this would not affect linking using soft id.

2) Mark people with a note/caution for changing their soft id recently or often. There's pretty much zero reason for a legit player to change their softid too often. However, scammers change their id constantly. Of course, this would likely only be able to track players every time they get searched (too resource intensive to scan entire player database), but would still be useful.

I love how far this site has come though! I remember when it was first founded.
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    1. That requires a reload of the page, which initiates another API call to Valve. We're already hitting Valve pretty hard with those, doubling it would probably go beyond the general 100K limit they have set per day per "site".

2. Changing nicknames is not a concern in our opinion, its only inconvenient. If you want persistence, give those you talk/trade with all a nickname in steam. Lack of such a nickname then would mean to you that you didn't check that one out yet.... Also, people often use the same nickname but change small details like "Vintage Cobra B>Keys" to "Vintage Cobra S> Gambit" etc. Usability becomes a point with this. Legit ppl change their nick also often. Some just not in that magnitude etc.
  3. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    I see nothing wrong with people changing their ID.
  4. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    How often does a person need a new custom URL?
    Also, changing your custom URL can be dangerous as at some point, it might match a scammer's past customurl which might lead to confusion for impersonation.

For example, if I gave up my KingOfHeart custom URL, and then someone claims it later, they could easily convince fans of mine, that they are the real gukingofheart.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    lol, vanity url is never some you should use to link ppl with.

PS: @gukingofheart why are you using Avira :S its the crappiest AV out there....

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**