1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

"Unknown Profile"

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by zachjd, Jan 10, 2015.

1. zachjd

zachjd New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:43325722
    Hi, new here. I just wanted to scan my friend list for vac banned users. I noticed a lot of profiles so Unknown Profile until I click them then it updates. Is there a more efficient way? Also is it safe to share my steam rep profile? Thanks
  2. Gamma032

Gamma032 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42303924
    If you're talking about this kind of thing: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198044873576
    It's completely safe to share.

I don't work for SR, but I would imagine that they have avoided scanning all profiles that exist because of the limitations of their databases, and because they can't possibly know about every steam user. There's plenty of people on Steam who don't need to be scanned, so I suppose you'll just have to manually go through them on your list.
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    There are 200 million steam accounts, give or take. We only keep records of those that get looked up. Those that get looked up are those that people trade with. We will not auto-update all those "friends" on a friendslist of someone on steam for there is no interest. To have it as Unknown, it means NOBODY ever looked at their profile on SteamRep, and that includes admins, other ppl, etc. As its a requirement to view a profile prior to edit that profile, etc. Apparently nobody found that account interesting enough to look it up, and are not a problem.

So again: we will not implement that when viewing a profile to get all the friend profiles too. Way too many STEAM API calls to do that.

Inherently, when you view the friendslist, the status you see is as old as the last person viewing THEIR profile... that can be months ago, or even years. Which means that if those got VAC banned more recently, you wont see it on SR.

SteamRep is not intended for this. Its intended to have an overview of the friendslist, and see if those friends are marked. If they are banned or not, they will always be showing their current status in regards to SteamRep. Valve status is of secondary interest. The GST profiles are profiles of people who never have set up their Steam Profile. You even cannot review their profile there.

I suggest to instead of misusing our site, to use the Friendslist to review their profiles on Steam for their VAC bans. Valve will keep that updated at all times. I believe there is some other site that does allow you to check your friends list for current VAC bans, but I've forgot which that was.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  4. zachjd

zachjd New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:43325722
    Hello, appreciate the information. As you probably read, I did say I was new here.

I never asked for anything to be implemented. But thank you for clarifying everything.

I understand this site is more orientated towards the reputation of trading and not vac bans.

I will be looking elsewhere, thanks!