1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Want to try the SteamRep Web API Beta?

Discussion in 'SteamRep API Discussion' started by Mattie!, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Edit: This API is now public. You can find it here: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/steamrep-web-api-beta4-legacy-public.114688/

Hello,

We're introducing a new Web API (kind of like the Steam Community API) for querying SteamRep from a website or service. The response is returned via XML or JSON.

Please respond on this thread if you're interested in helping us test the beta.

Requirements:
    • Explain what you intend to do with it!
    • The API is intended to be used on-demand inside of a web application and not for "background" automated purposes.
      • Never use the API in a way that spams SteamRep (e.g. never trigger it on every pageview of your site)
      • Cache results when possible, ideally never repeating a query for someone more than once a half hour.
      • Do not scan through many profiles at once via the API
    Encouraged uses might include:
    • Check it once and cache it upon login of a Steam user
    • Check it and cache it when a user profile page is viewed
    • Check it when a major action is initiated by a user (e.g. trade request, "check reputation")
    • Any other gentle uses.
    Never screenscrape SteamRep.com. If you do, your IPs will be banned because this hammers our site as well as the SteamCommunity websites. :( You should cease doing that and request access to the Web API. :)

Thanks for your interest!
    -Mattie
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  2. [W] IndieRoyale

[W] IndieRoyale New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:46606288
    I have many question about this as we are currently working on something.
    I'll add you on Steam and hope the best.
  3. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    Other people may have the same questions. It might be helpful to ask them here. :)
  4. Deadfly

Deadfly New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19673745
    I'd like to use the SteamRep API beta. I am interested in making a trading website that queries your DB for VAC status, trade ban status, and reputation status. Please add me so we can discuss any questions you may have for me. http://steamcommunity.com/id/DeadflyProductions/
  5. Brad Pitt

Brad Pitt Backpack.tf founder

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42768607
    FYI VAC, Trade Ban and Community are available through the Steam Web API, they're not part of the SteamRep API.
    Mattie! likes this.
  6. Secret T☆co [MCA]

Secret T☆co [MCA] New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:24641334
    We have a little secret project going on and would like to use the SR API :)
    I'll contact you via steam with more details so you know a bit more otherwise cant wait to try it out :)
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Indeed, SR only queries those statuses from STEAM itself, we do record it in history profiles (afaik, don't shoot me), but the API isn't showing those indeed.
    Also, the API doesn't propagate green/blue tags (SR and or CA admins and donators).
  8. jameless

jameless Guru Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19765576
    Close, the old API didn't show SR or CA admins etc. The new version does indeed show this information. We hope to add more information in the future, but as people have already noted, we do not intend to open up anything on the API, that you can just query Valve for yourself. This will cut down on our number of queries to Valve which helps greatly increase the speed of responses.
    Roudydogg1 and SilentReaper(SR) like this.
  9. lockNload147

lockNload147 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45954940
    I'm interested in testing out the beta API.
  10. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    If you explain your intent a bit, it will help us understand if it fits our recommended use cases:
    Thanks for clarifying,
    -Mattie
  11. lockNload147

lockNload147 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45954940
    Oh sorry my bad. I'm planning on making a mobile app for the steam community and saw this beta API so I was interested in testing it out.
  12. 94m3k1n9

94m3k1n9 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35861668
    Requirements:
      I'm doing a SteamRep check for everyone who joins a group chat my Steam Bot is in. It will warn in the group chat if someone marked with scammer / caution tag joins the chat.
    • The API is intended to be used on-demand inside of a web application and not for "background" automated purposes.
      • Never use the API in a way that spams SteamRep (e.g. never trigger it on every pageview of your site)
        My SR function is triggered on every join or execution of the !rep command.
      • Cache results when possible, ideally never repeating a query for someone more than once a half hour.
        I'm caching for exactly 30 minutes, might just cause more requests when the bot restarts because that will clear its cache.
        It's only checking single profiles on demand.
  13. Chippy

Chippy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:25304632
    Howdy,

I'd find a use out of the SteamRep webapi: I've slowly been writing a tool that currently resides at http://steamchecker.com/. It seems to average about 5 people online at any given moment, so is fairly low traffic. Previously, it screenscraped SteamRep, and the resulting infobox was a popular feature. After the tool got decent traffic (i.e. not just me), I disabled the screen scrape, and now the tool is looking a bit folorn without a SteamRep box. Currently, the tool will request data from its various sources every time someone looks up a profile -- it's low traffic enough for me to get away with that -- although I'm working on a decent caching system that I'll deploy soonish (hopefully...).

Thanks.
  14. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    - In assistance in creating a SR-like Database that deals with Sharking and individuals of less than savory taste.
      - Duly Noted.
  15. BrainInBlack|RAWR

BrainInBlack|RAWR New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19191623
      Low impact Mini-Version of steamRep, for ingame use. Just displaying the important stuff.
    Profiles will be cached for at least 30 minutes, depending on the request rate (higher rate = lower cache-time)
  16. Wheel of Cheese

Wheel of Cheese New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:14354185
    I've been developing a scrapbanking bot and would like to make use of the API upon an incoming trade request to reject trades from marked users. This would be low-volume usage, and I would be happy to implement a caching layer.
  17. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    I've added permissions to the Web API forum for the latest batch of requests. :) Sorry for the delays.
  18. Cyrax

Cyrax New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:22611865
    Hey,

I'd love to give this a shot. I admin over at the fairly well known "Traders Guild" steam group. I'd love to be able to check a new users status automatically when they join the group. Something like this would be much easier to control scammers that are re-entering the group or new people who plan on doing something fishy.

Thanks,
    Cyrax.
  19. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Ehm, I don't think you can use it for that. Not that we wont allow it, but more on how it works. The API is a challenge/response system where a ID link is parsed to SR (challenge), and you recieve a answer with some information about their tags (response). This still has to be read out, and been applied in a way useful for one's site. You cannot edit / adjust / add a plugin afaik on steamgroups, and therefore not use a plugin to use our API to clean out your steam group.

Usages seen are:
    - Keeping game server(s) clean
    - 3rd party forum plugins to show tags, or create links to the SR page etc.
    - Custom website projects checking their users, like TF2WH, TF2R, Backpack.tf are showing such info on the website etc.

As I doubt you can create a plugin for a steam group on steam, I dont think you can have your intended use. Unless you see this differently, but then please explain and we'll review.

Ofcourse, Mattie can spank me anytime for being a uninformed noob :)
  20. Cyrax

Cyrax New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:22611865
    There are bots for groups already, that can scan such things and even keep an eye on the chat room. So with those in play, this api would be very useful.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.