1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Want to try the SteamRep Web API Beta?

Discussion in 'SteamRep API Discussion' started by Mattie!, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InsaneMosquito

InsaneMosquito New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:17398398
    I'm at admin at Team-Vipers and am interested in using this API to help monitor and 1.) Our members 2.) Our small trading subforum and 3.) Passers-by that drop in to participate in said subforum.

Thank you.
  2. gamemaster1494

gamemaster1494 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41189174
    • I plan to use this API to check the users that use my bot trading system. Currently I only have scrapbankers, but soon will have a bot that accepts all items as part of payment... Don't want a scammer dumping items there.
    • The API will be triggered when a user that has not been saved, asks to trade. I may have it check users if the cache is a day or so old.
    • I have an Officaial group for this system as well. Found at: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gamemtradeservice
  3. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Did you contact valve about using bots? for tf2wh, scrap.tf, Hexide and TF2Shop ran into trouble using those.
  4. gamemaster1494

gamemaster1494 New User

Steam:
    Really? What trouble and why...? Who should i contact?
  5. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    Don't think it's DataStorms please to give advice on something that Valve issues. Best to ask them. Also, I doubt he will divulge private operational workings of other site for privacy reasons. I am pretty sure that Datastorm made it quite clear who to contact in his post as well. And for more information best to ask the people who run tthe sites that have such bots. Their contact information is readily available on their site. Should really read the post before responding with more questions.
  6. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

TF2WH: Bots banned till things where cleared up and had complied to Valve's demands. I personally talked with TF2WH owners in giving advice and settle preventive measures on their side.
    Hexide, TF2Shop, scrap.tf: bots banned, I don't know in what status they are currently, Valve made their demands to them, and they will have to comply, or not have access to the bot accounts backpacks anymore to trade.

I helped with TF2WH because so many traders had credits on their site, and I wanted to help them to come to a good solution and rule-set. So they came out better and way stronger, and the community could use them again without much problems. I spend literally a total of 8+ hours chatting with Triddin. Dronefly is correct that I don't divulge on the contents of those, altho the result of my discussions with Triddin is that they now have a pretty strong rule-set ( http://forum.tf2wh.com/pages/terms/ ), and a bunch of integration with SR. This was Juli 2012, they didn't run in problems with Valve again.

I'm not involved with those of Hexide, tf2shop and scrap.tf, for those are more individual, and for individual trading there is enough "advice" and guides out there to keep them in the clear. The playfield is very different as well. There is no vested interest by the community (no big group of traders has "credits" at them, etc) which I would want to protect, and my time is valuable to me.
  7. gamemaster1494

gamemaster1494 New User

Steam:
    When he said valve in general I didn't know if he knew of a certain person it would be best to talk to.

I also was wondering if he knew of the actual reasons as he knew they got into trouble with valve...

Thanks DataStorm. I'll look into it.
  8. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Hijacked/stolen/carded goods got into them, Valve gets notified, and they are pretty hardcore on that.
  9. Six-Barrel Samurai

Six-Barrel Samurai New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:17671254
    • I plan to use the Web API at http://tf2mart.net for screening users who want to use our service.
    • The check will be triggered when user login to our site via Steam Login.
  10. Tootis

Tootis New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:40864711
    Talked with Helen, In the works for building a new community.
    Currently hosted here, http://web01.site.nfoservers.com/forums/index.php
    Domain name isn't permanent, We'll be buying servers on April 2nd.

Going to use this for our trade servers and for out forums once we get situated.
  11. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

For the game servers there is the SR Plugin. The web API is there for the websites, like on forums in your case.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  12. Six-Barrel Samurai

Steam:
    Can please someone point me to the documentation on how to implement/use Web API?
  13. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

If you are granted access, you get access to a subforum with that information.
  14. The Pickle Man

The Pickle Man New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20237028
    I'm starting a tf2 bot trading site, and I'd like to use the API in order to keep marked scammers from being able to use the site.
  15. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

As near every single instance of such was shut down at some point by Valve, and only allowed to get them back after complying with their conditions, I'll also advice that you contact Valve for this and ask for their conditions.

Also, could you be a bit more verbose about the nature of the site?
  16. InsaneMosquito

InsaneMosquito New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:17398398
    Hi DataStorm. I was curious if you needed more information from me. You've responded to others but didn't mention my request.

I can provide more information based on feedback you've asked from others though:
    We have a small trading sub-forum that our members use to post trade requests. It is a simple phpbb board, nothing nearly as fancy as outpost or bazaar. I'd like to integrate with SteamRep to keep known scammers (be it my members or passers-by) from accessing this section of the board.

I don't know if that is verbose enough for you, but if not, I'd be glad to answer more questions.
  17. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

I understand, but I had nothing to add/ask on you. As you may see above, I respond when I see some that may pose a problem for them, and get them pointed in the right direction. Your use is for a forum, which is fine, and has no other concerns or things that need to be known.

Mattie decides on the access, but as he's not responding much here, I try to get ppl to get along and for the smoothest way to get up and running with SR and/or external problems that may arise due their nature of site they intend.
  18. gamemaster1494

gamemaster1494 New User

Steam:
    Okay after looking around and asking questions, my bots are fine. I just need a way to stop scammers from trading them, which is why I am here again =)
  19. gamemaster1494

gamemaster1494 New User

Steam:
    Wow can I really not edit? Huh. Anyways, an update to my application:

• I plan to use this API to check the users that use my bot trading system. Currently I have 2 scrapbankers, 1 hatbanker, and 1 bot that sells any item in its inventory for 1 scrap. Soon I will have a bot that accepts all items as part of payment, and a keybanking bot... Don't want a scammer dumping items there.
    • The API will be triggered when a user that has not been saved, asks to trade. I may have it check users if the cache is a day or so old.
    • I have an Official group for this system as well. Found at: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gamemtradeservice
  20. Six-Barrel Samurai

Steam:
    Well, I asked for access to the WebAPI on March 21st. So far I got no response. Can please someone clarify what is the status of my request?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.