1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Ways of being Hijacked+Combats against them(2.0) By TemioMAN

Discussion in 'SteamRep Guides' started by TemioMAN, Nov 26, 2012.

1. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45707254
    Hello fellow members of the steam community, after my last guide I got some feedback that would have really helped to make it better.
    So now I am Going to strip the guide down just to Hijacking and how to combat being Hijacked Hope you enjoy and like reading this one
    ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
    Hijacking: In this Guide I am going to help you improve your Internet Security and Overall your steam security. Steam Security is incredible important for a number of reasons. Firstly you don't want to loose all of your games and Items. Secondly you do not want the hassle of getting it back(through steam support and such) and also your steam password may be the same as your email password allowing the Hijacker to access other accounts of yours. But Possible the worst of all is that if you have ever bought a game on steam, it sometimes saves some of your credit card/debit card information so you can easily purchase some steam wallet money again. ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
    Ways of being Hijacked and how to combat it
    This is the part where i will explain how you can be Hijacked and ways of preventing Hijacking
    Phishing-So Basically a phishing website is when you click on a certain link that contains a worm or key logger that installs a cookie onto your machine. This cookie is a bad cookie so to speak and can access personal information that you have typed into the computer. Its quite hard to explain without having to go in-depth about it, but you get the point this is bad! Combat-So basically the best way to combat yourself from this is get some type of internet security system that makes sure you get a warning before going onto a site that may have some type of Phishing on it. I recommend Bit fender,Kaspersky Or AVG anti virus security systems but for some more info on which you should buy visit this link: http://internet-security-suite-review.toptenreviews.com/<< This website has got some indepth reviews on Anti-Virus security software and i recommend looking at it before you make a purchase. Downloads-So This is quite a simple one and you can still protect yourself from this. Read above I suggest antivirus again but even if you download something fishy and your antivirus says you should not, you normally still can download this. Well you may be thinking, well their are hardly any addons that i would want for TF2 so why are you telling me this? Well you may be wrong, infact one of the most common ways of being hijacked is installing a fake HUD onto your TF2. When your HUD does not work when you get into game you normally just assume you have installed the HUD wrong. But possible the link you got was a virus. So then the person who has made this virus so you can install this on the PC is able to access your steam account and password and possible in rare cases your entire computer. Combat-Their is an easy way to combat this USE COMMON SENSE, It doesnt take a genius to tell if something is not right or that it looks fishy and if your antivirus says that it contains something, and you do not know alot about the product or download, Trust your antivirus more than your instinct! ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ I hope you enjoyed this guide and i would love your feedback i hope this one is better than the last one. See ya later steam and thanks for reading
  2. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    you can go and edit the original guide post in the guides section. There is no need to create a new thread. Just a little tip right off the bat.

To make it easier, I have taken the liberty to reformat it for you below in a nicer format that makes it easier to read.

Personal Notes:
    Hello fellow members of the steam community, after my last guide I got some feedback that would have really helped to make it better.
    So now I am Going to strip the guide down just to Hijacking and how to combat being Hijacked Hope you enjoy and like reading this one.

Hijacking:
    In this Guide I am going to help you improve your Internet Security and Overall your Steam security. Steam Security is incredibly important for a number of reasons. Firstly, you don't want to lose all of your games and items. Secondly, you do not want the hassle of getting it back (through steam support and such) and also your steam password may be the same as your email password allowing the hijacker to access your other accounts. But, Possibly the worst part of all, is that if you have ever bought a game on steam, it sometimes saves some of your credit card / debit card information so you can easily purchase some steam wallet money again and this information can now be compromised.

Waits of being Hijacked and how to combat it:
    This is the part where i will explain how you can be Hijacked and ways of preventing Hijacking
    Phishing - So Basically a phishing website is when you click on a certain link that contains a worm or key logger that installs a cookie on your machine. This cookie is a bad cookie (so to speak) and can access personal information that you have typed into the computer. Its quite hard to explain without having to go in-depth about it, but you get the point this is bad!
    Ways to Combat Phishing - So basically the best way to protect yourself from this is to get some type of internet security system that makes sure you get a warning before going on a site that may have some type of Phishing on it. I recommend Bit defender, Kaspersky Or AVG anti virus security systems but for some more info on which you should buy visit this link: http://internet-security-suite-review.toptenreviews.com/ << This website has got some in-depth reviews on Anti-Virus security software and I recommend looking at it before you make a purchase.
    Downloads - So This is quite a simple one and you can still protect yourself from this. Read above where I suggest antivirus software, but even if you download something "phishy" and your antivirus says you should not, you are still able to download this (so be careful!). Well you may be thinking, there are hardly any add-ons that i would want for TF2 so why are you telling me this? But in fact one of the most common ways of being hijacked is installing a fake HUD onto your TF2. If your HUD does not work when you get into the game, you just assume you have installed the HUD wrong. What really happened is the link you got was probably a virus. The person made this virus so you can install this on the PC which will allow them access to your steam account and password and possible in rare cases your entire computer.
    Ways to Combat Downloads - There is an easy way to combat this: USE COMMON SENSE. It doesn't take a genius to tell if something is not right or if it looks fishy. If your antivirus says that it contains something, and you do not know a lot about the product or download, trust your antivirus more than your instinct!

Conclusion:
    I hope you enjoyed this guide and i would love your feedback i hope this one is better than the last one. See ya later steam and thanks for reading.
  3. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    Ty Dronefly i will put that into format straight away
  4. Duskfall -a^DF

Duskfall -a^DF New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41806566
    I have some quarrels with your ways of avoiding phishing.

You don't just click on any random link some random person sends you. This applies both on steam and outside of steam. Even if a friend sends you a link, don't trust it right away. Many phishing attempts try to impersonate a friend, or uses a hijacked account belonging to a friend in order to gain your trust more easily. Impersonation on Steam is fairly easy. Impersonation can happen via email as well using a method called spoofing. In a nutshell, spoofing allow phishing to appear as someone else. Spoofing can occur on phone with Caller ID, email, and GPS (although if you are a victim of GPS spoofing, there's something more going on than someone trying to quick a quick illegal buck). I've gotten an email once from "my middle school history teacher", who is quite old and fat, trying to get my to try out the "latest male enhancement product". I'm 12 and what is this.

Take time to actually read the links anyone gives you. Many phishing links may have multiple domain extensions(".com", ".net", ".org" etc); in my experience, these are always phishing sites.Another thing to note when you read the link is the spelling of the site. Many phishing and fake sites impersonating other sites make hard-to-notice spelling errors in the name. For example, a link going to the SourceOP forums would be (http://forums.sourceop.com/forum/). A well known fake SourceOP site uses this name (http://forums[dot]soureop[dot]com/forum/ (broke the link so that no one actually clicks it) ). Notice the missing "c" in source. If anyone gives you a link to a well known site, make sure that the name is spelled correct. If it is not, it is a phishing link.

Sometimes a phishing/fake site may not be easily identifiable. This is when script blockers come in handy. Script blockers will effectively prevent any malicious script from running any unwanted downloads onto your computer. To avoid cookies from being installed onto your computer, simply go into your browser options and disable cookies. If you have any cookies you are suspicious of, you can manually remove cookies from your browser options as well. I'm not too savvy on the procedure for each browser, but you can easily search on Google on how to disable and/or remove cookies from your browser.

Lastly, as Temiomann has said, use your common sense! Don't get greed or curiosity get the better of you.
  5. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    If you read the text I do say that if you click on a certain link, a link can be anything and a phishing website may not have phishing on the homepage, but maybe on another link inside the website
  6. Nero Chinki

Nero Chinki New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:30535511
    Again, you seem to make a few mistakes but the part that really bugs me is the "Hijack by fake HUD" discussion. I personally have never seen such a Phish / Hijack happen (as you have to download a rar file or 7z file wich usually contains a Resources, Scripts and txt file in order to install a HUD) and the more common one is usually offering free games while providing a fake Steam URL with various mistakes in the spelling or trying to impersonate Support Techies. Like i said on your previous guide, do indepth research and talk to people who have experienced being hijacked / phished before as this gives a better view on how to prevent it.

On a different note, you do not mention what to do if you would actually fall for this scam (such as what kind of evidence needs to be provided in order to regain control of your account). You do mention it briefly but a more indepth explination would be good for the people who (as much as it amazes me) still fall for this thinking they got a good thing going on receiving a free game.

Your working points again are;

- Layout, make it look more inviting and not like a mashing of text with random symbols
    - Research what you are discussing, without this you can just say about anything and believe its true until corrected
    - Spelling, the overuse of (,) made most of the sentences carry out a bit too long in my opinion
    Backseatsman, Dronefly and DataStorm like this.
  7. DJ_Machine

DJ_Machine New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:40896779
    nero there is a very popular bait and switch were people are redirecting people to a driveby attack through fake huds this scam is common amongst french scammers.

This guide is about 10% complete however its more like a primer for how to scam and not be caught. then how to not be scammed.

tl;dr
    You are going to be hacked if you maintain a large profile on tf2 mitigating attack vectors is all you can do to slow the onslaught.