1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Why are reports showing only trade chat accepted?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Champelliot, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:36236835
    I'll try to keep this quick.

I understand that it is important to have evidence supporting all reports, with one of the most common forms of evidence being provided being Steam chat. However, in the case of quick switch scams and the like, which normally take place in trade servers, the only evidence available is that of the trade window. More importantly, at the time this thread was made, it is impossible to find someone's Steam ID through the trade window, the only information provided is their name and avatar.

This means that in the case of a scammer attempting a scam in a trade window, the reporter has no idea of the scammer's ID 32 or 64 without using Add a Friend or Player search, and trying to match the names. The problem arises here, that there may be multiple people with the same name, or even the same avatar (I've seen it happen) in this case, the person has no idea which of the people was the scammer. I have seen reports accepted (and am in no way insinuating they are wrong) where the only way of finding a scammer was through searching a name, rather than a URL. Examples can be found here and here.

While I understand that in some points it is impossible to accurately get, it opens up a large possibility for people to be framed. If I, for example, had a disagreement with someone and wanted to frame them for a scam attempt, (and before I go any further, I am not suggesting this, or anything of the sort!) I could change my profile to mimic them perfectly, go on the same server as an active member of SR, attempt a trade window only scam (i.e. quick-switch) and make sure they notice, and quickly change my name. When they try to find my name using Add a Friend (the only interface available) and find there is only one result, (since my name is now different) the innocent person may end up being reported, framed and know nothing about it.

I understand that a lot of scam attempts occur without previous notice, like Paypal scams where you can click "view profile" from the Steam Chat, but you have no way of knowing a person's exact ID through the Trade Window. I understand it would be crippling to not accept reports that do not contain an exact proof of ID, but I can't think of any other way to prevent possible miscarriages of justice and framings.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Is the small chance of an accidental incorrect tag justified by being able to catch a larger amount of scammers?
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    in the trade window, click on the avatar of the other trader.... -> goes to steam window of their profile...
    and
    Joined on a server = logs on that server.

There have been attempts, but with careful review of those we nearly always found them fake. Several attempts where made at Noobi. Others where tried too.
  3. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    I'll actually admit I've clicked everywhere and never found that, thanks for the info.
    Still, how do we assure everyone knows this? It's not exactly the most intuitive method? But thank you for the response, I can see your logic. My only query is the use of "nearly". You said several attempts were made at Noobi, were some of these successful?
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    One case was pretty good, but we found the reporter (a alt) having ulterior motives, which made the evidence questionable and dismissed. That case was dismissed not on grounds of the evidence, but on trustworthy of the reporter. The evidence reported back then (long b4 SR forum came) was minimal. I'm not going to divulge much on it. They had us nearly going, but at least we found out on time, saved us a lot of trouble.

Meh, on "tricks" on steam... loads of ppl aren't really looking anyway.
  5. HAK

HAK New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:29044036
    does not work for me, I actually suggested to steam a simple "view profile" button anywhere in trade window to simplify everything, this button will assist a lot of quick trades.
    SilentReaper(SR) likes this.
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    hmm, you're right. Probably confused it with the old in-game trading. Been checking it out, but there is no way to get to the profile from it.
  7. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    Oh, well in that case SR does have a problem.
  8. HAK

HAK New User

Steam:
  9. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
  10. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    Let's say you used my name and then someone searched you after you switched. This is what would happen if I searched Eoj Nawoh.

Champelliot
    Previous name: Eoj Nawoh
    Played Together for .4 Hours On 7/28/12
  11. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    I understand there is a drop down name history on the user's profile, but does what you have mentioned above only display the direct previous name? If it does, I could simply change my name twice. Furthermore, the person looking for the 'scammer' may simply go for the first name on the list, which in your example, would be yours. After all the name and avatar are the same, while I may have changed both of mine.
  12. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:
    I think it shows the last ten. But either way, it should show if we played together or not.

But I hope that Valve does add the ability to get to profiles again.
  13. HAK

HAK New User

Steam:
    There are currently 2 very discrete methods I would use to quickly obtain someone's SR status WHILE trade window is open IN GAME,

1. console -> status, grab steam32 ID, copy and paste to steamrep

2. Highlight his name, copy, go to Friends -> Add a friend and paste his name for a search, load profile up, copy his Steam Profile URL and paste into Steamrep

If potential scammer adds you personally as friend via Steam client,

Steam settings -> Interface tab -> Display Steam URL address bar when available -> OK

Click on his name in chat, copy his Steam URL from the now unhidden address bar in steam browser, and paste to steamrep immediately.

Yeap, tedious, tiresome, waste of time and downright not easy.

I would love to know if someone else knows a better way to do this, especially for ingame,
    method 1 is the quickest so far but isn't fullproof if the person you are currently trading with decides to leave the current server (many scammers do this once they fish out a possible victim)
    [WP] VenGanZa likes this.
  14. Scooty Puff Jr.

Scooty Puff Jr. New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:34050552
    If they are in the same server, the shift tab overlay has a players tab on the right which shows all players in the server.
  15. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    hmm, a plugin on the server to say for example "!reps" to open a webpage with all names of last 10 minutes on the server and links to their SR page should be good nuff.

now, who likes to make it.
    NinjaNick and Dronefly like this.
  16. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:
    Regarding #1, as you said, they often leave the server.

And #2, you can't really tell for certain which one you're trading.

I find that often times it doesn't show all the players.
  17. Scooty Puff Jr.

Scooty Puff Jr. New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:34050552
  18. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    just checked, and its now all there :).
  19. HAK

HAK New User

Steam:
    Thank you, this my friends, is the sign to some HOPE!

Now, if only the address bar in steam browser is turned ON at all times, even for fresh installs and there's no longer the option to hide it.

You think they willing to do that? For newbies who want to validate their profiles, the key is getting Steam profile URL showing up immediately.

But overall I'm really happy with this major fix!
  20. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    As I read that, the morrowind theme played in my head.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.