1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Why Steamrep has ruined trading in general for me.

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by milkman024, Mar 28, 2014.

1. milkman024

milkman024 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:53700989
    -I'm sorry in advance if this offends anyone its just that I feel this is a problem that should be addressed.

I doubt anyone really wants to hear the entire background story to this so I'm going to try and make it short. Pretty close to a year ago my steam account was hijacked (i think it was a phishing but I'm not sure) and when i finally got it back from Steam support i had a scammer rep on Steamrep. Since i was a really big fan of trading at the time having a scammer rep ruined everything in my trading career, being banned from this site and this site and blocked off of certain areas on bp.tf just because some website says that I'm not trust worthy sucks especially when most of you're trading is supported by these type of sites. Since i mostly played TF2 because i liked trading so much that once i was marked as scammer i slowly stopped playing the game. Recently i also got into a little bit of CS:GO and i would love to trade in that game as well but NO I can't sign onto any trading sites without being banned. So after i figured that i could get the tag removed i made an appeal doing just what the rules said to do at the time. After i had finished and posted the appeal i waited and waited and waited and finally two months later i got a response from one of the Steamrep admins. The admin basically asked me to do some things like upload the trade history and my support ticket (which i had already did the ticket). After i responded to what he asked me to do I waited even longer... like 6 months longer and still to this day no response.

So whats the point to this story of mine you may ask? well it is that I personally feel that for how quickly I was marked as a scammer I feel people who genuinely have had a similar problem as me should get responded to at some point in there lives. Maybe i just got unlucky or something and no one liked the picture of the cat I have. The only thing to that is there are a lot of people in the appeal section who it seems like they are ignored and never seem to even be looked at. Although i don't entirely blame the admins that are supposed to moderate the appeal section because of some of the idiots that try to get appealed they should at least try not to ignore people who are doing what they are supposed to do or are being patient waiting for some form of answer.

-Wow this turned out longer than expected but thanks for reading and i hope you understand the point I'm trying to get out.
    -milkman024​
  2. [G²] Scatman

[G²] Scatman New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45015208
    unfortunately SteamRep has a massive backlog of reports and appeals, and there's only a couple admins that can handle appeals. SR does try to prioritize hijacked account appeals, but there is only so much they can do.

It's just an unfortunate way the system is run :/
  3. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    This part of the system should have a priority system.
    Falsely accused should be moved to the front of the appeal system for fairness.

A falsely accused needs to be made aware that you must be ready and active(set up a schedule) to prove you're falsely accused with a good chunk of evidence.
    Failure to be ready and you're report gets pushed back to the end of the line

Sound fair, admins?
  4. Knucklejoe

Knucklejoe New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46918739
    Something from the expanded FAQs that is relevant here.

Notice that they try to prioritize hijacked appeals. A few still slip through the cracks and there isn't enough man power to cover them all in a short time. Pretty sure the admins know that they are short handed and I think there are probably a few solutions being talked about behind the scenes. Can't say anything for sure, though.

Hope your appeal is taken care of soon.
  5. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    Your general point is right but your example sucks. Everyone thinks they're falsely accused/innocent. Case types might warrant priority (hijackings ect) but it should never be based on peoples feelings, no matter how strong.

As for the whole thread- The OP is right and the SR staff are completely aware of if and how devastating it is to everyone. The right to appeal is the most important aspect of any tag. Appeals are difficult at best, there's no such thing as an easy appeal since such a high proportion of banned users are prone to lying, the honestly mistaken cases (like the one you describe) suffer. The only words I'll offer in defence of SR is that they are al volunteers and all time given is out of the kindness of their hearts and will to help. I'm not sure but I imagine even the owner is losing chunks of money and resources keeping this site alive (factoring in their manpower too, then I am sure!).

SR has taken great strides in the right direction lately but it'll take some time before that ripples down to areas it can be seen in the reports/appeals backlog.
  6. The Washout

The Washout New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19658297
    I'm sure the sincere apology will soften the blow that he was marked without any real reason and given no sensible chance for a workable appeal. Pulling the volunteer card doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering you folks volunteered to mark him in the first place.
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    hmm, no, for there is a huge backlog on both appeals and reports. it simply means we got to these report(s) but not his appeal yet.
    Clive likes this.
  8. The Washout

The Washout New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19658297
    There was a time when SteamRep's structure made sense... before peak time was 1 Million ~ players a day for the top 3 games that have a large trading component. You can no longer handle the volume. At what point do you step back and look at the reality of a situation. I'm sure you'll have some dismissive or "clever" thing to say in response, but training faster horses won't allow you to compete in a world of automobiles.

I doubt you believe me but I do actually hold that SteamRep is a force for good, but if it cannot adapt all the intention in the world won't mean anything.