1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Would this counts as a scam?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Legit, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Legit

Legit New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41180613
    Hello, I'm here to ask about what counts as a scam, I was talking to a friend about things that have happened to us that seem odd,

Note I do NOT take part in scamming, I feel very bad even just closing a trade with somebody who offers less then what I want in a trade.

Now i'm not a master at tf2 prices nor do I know how the eco works, however these are some situations that have happened to me and I'm not sure if Said people could report me for it later on.

1. Early on in tf2 I didn't know the values all to well I still get lied to and told things are worth more/less and I tend to go off that. Once I offered a crate worth 1 rec I think for a craft hat, the user accepted and traded for it (I'm fairly sure he was new too). Now I could see how that could be easally minipulated into me saying the crates worth the hat, Even though some crates are worth much much more (Talking about you salvaged crates). Im just wondering if that could be reported, if later on he figured out he lost out and screencapped the trade history and reported me?

2. Free items. This is rare but happens, people trade and just give items for free. One in specific was a friend who noticed Ide never unboxed a crate, He wanted me to unbox one so he traded me a keys worth in items and told me to sell it and turn it into a key then unbox a crate. Say he gets angry at me and removes me, Could that be reported? I Don't have proof of the chat logs and could easally look like a scam if he screenshots the trade history.

Somebody told me on a trade server that people get banned for reasons like these just because people get mad or just want to see somebody get banned, One person said his friend was banned because some random guy traded him a bunch of items and then when he asked for them back his friend denied and then he got reported.

Thats is my situations, Feel free if anybody has some of their own I would be interested in reading.
  2. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    1. At most that would be sharking and SR don't tag people for that. Also you didn't know th price either so you can't get blamed.
    2. SR wouldn't ban you for receiving free items. This is because you weren't trading for them. SteamRep categorise a scam as breaking a trade agreement (I can't be hothered to quote it exactly) and your friend also wouldn't have logs of the chat where you discussed those items so SteamRep would deny that report anyways for lack of evidence

P.S. SteamRep need more than just the inventory history they need chat logs as well.
  3. Legit

Legit New User

Steam:
    Ah, I see. I was told of different information that is all. Thanks for the information very very much appreciated!
  4. Legit

Legit New User

Steam:
    Now what about this, Say somebody trades you a really expensive item to try it out, Him thinking you will give it back but the person doesnt. Ive seen people do that plenty of times.
  5. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:43668349
    If he lets you borrow an item and asks for it back and you do not comply you are breaking the agreement between the two of you, so yes that is considered scamming.
  6. Legit

Legit New User

Steam:
    Ah I would have assumed so, But that seems slightly exploitable, what if before he trades he doesnt say anything about giving it back? (Again im not DOING this its just for the future, I hear this all day on trade servers)
  7. NCPereira

NCPereira New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35293815
    Then you can keep it, since no agreement was made.
  8. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    2. So you're friend gave you items so that you'll unbox a crate?
    Unless if you said "ok, I'll unbox if you give me those items" then you're friend just assumed.

I don't know why you let a friend borrow an item. Unless if they're really scared about receiving a scammer tag, they won't care that much about getting the tag in the first place.
  9. Legit

Legit New User

Steam:

I was not the one to let people barrow items, again these are just situations I hear happening on trade servers constantly. I just want to know what is a scam so I can tell thoes people saying "I'm going to report you" to random people That it was not a scam.

The crate thing, my friend buys keys and unboxes for the fun of it constantly. He felt bad that I couldn't afford to unbox so he gave me some junk hes gotten from crates and told me to go sell it for a key and unbox. He just randomly traded me gave me junk and said "Is this enough for a key"
  10. ReignBro

ReignBro New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:44693178
    I wouldn't worry about it friend.