1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Yesterday I was victim for the cursevoice scam, what do I do now?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Bank of America, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Bank of America

Bank of America New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:5611559
    Yesterday was a shitty day for me, since I was scammed for more than 2k eur. I fell for a scam after a guy asked me to download cursevoice from a link that he sent through skype. I was talking with him and his friend, and they both had a british accent, so I really didn't think that they were going to scam me. This is the scam I'm talking about: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-76561198150218321-other-other-game-items.95609/

After A couple of minutes I saw that my wallet had gone from 200 eur to 20 eur, and I knew something was up. I immediately closed skype and steam, changed password for my steam acc and my email, did a full system deep scan with avast antivirus. deleted Steam, redownloaded, logged in, and then he started once again selling the rest of my items, including dragon lore, howl and 4 asiimovs. He then bought his own p90 leather 7 times for between 60-180 eur. He has taken more than 2k from my inventory and bought his own p90's on the steam market. What am I supposed to do? I wrote steam support and told them everything, but I am wondering what kind of reply I can expect from them. I read online that sometimes they do refund items from hijacked accounts, but only ONCE. Is this something that I can expect to happen? I really hope so.

My other question is, how can I open my steam account without having to worry about him logging in again? I tried finding info online, but I really dont know what I am supposed to do, since AVAST was not able to remove the trojan that he was using.
  2. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    You should probably do a full system wipe/reinstall. Also, you can view your most recent steamguard email and click the link in it to lock your account.
  3. Bank of America

Bank of America New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:5611559

thank you for the fast reponse. I haven't received a steamguard email, so I'm afraid that it has not been activated. Do you know what response I can expect from steam, and what they will do about it? I have used steam for more than 10 years, spent thousands of euros on games, and have never had any issues with scammers.

Full system wipe, really? Do I have to do this? I haven't got my windows install cd any longer, so It'll be pretty expensive for me since I will probably have to buy a new one, or can I get a copy online, put it on a usb and still use the same serial like the one on the sticker on my pc?
  4. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Depending on the version of windows you can mearly download the ISO of the version you are installing just make sure its a legit ISO verify hash. Then all you need to do is use the product key on the sticker on the system. I suggest doing a google search on how to install whatever OS and follow instructions step by step as its very easy to do. As for if you really need to wipe it...well if you aren't very good at making sure the system is clean on your own then yeah go ahead just back up needed data files, pictures etc... and wipe it, start from scratch. If its an older system you may wish to go ahead and download system drivers prior to the wipe too and have them ready to go on a flash drive. Windows Vista and up has a bunch of native drivers that will get you going at least for most systems.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Often on pre-installed computers of various brands there is a boot-up system restore option, to restore it to the state the factory delivered it. Depends on the brand / make / model how exactly to access this.

In the case of Dell, they offer a 5 dollar-ish package with the DVD's/CD's with the OS and drivers etc when you buy a computer from them. You would need that for a dell PC. Don't know if that can ordered later for one's computer.
    Most other brands have either a F8 menu item during boot, or some keypress combination to restore one's computer.

If you bought a Custom PC, with parts you specified, it depends on what license you bought. The cheapest one is without OS DVD. The only option is then to buy the media for your OS, or being able to download a official iso to download, as HorseD says above, and indeed verify if its original.

As for drivers... check the spec's of your computer, download the drivers from the brands themselves.
  6. Inu

Inu TF2Bazaar Owner Retired Staff Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:62120987
    Do it the safe way and DBAN your drive.
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    If he has windows 7 or later, and his Mobo has UEFI boot enabled, that won't be needed.

and @OP: get on a clean computer, and create a steam support ticket regarding this hijack.