1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Just Sad

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Sublime, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Sublime

Sublime New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:9493992
    Today was my nephew's 12th Birthday, so i gave him an unusual Orbiting Fire Hat and an hour later hes crying on hes room. asked what happened and he told me he lend he's unusual to hes "friend" and pretty much deleted him after lending the item. He barely had it worn for an hour and this happens. I mean i even told my nephew not to trade it to anyone it, just sucks when this guy took advantage of him.

Not even sure if this is even reportable since its pretty much my 12y/o's Nephew's fault pretty much.
  2. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    Yes. If you can get chat logs proving that it was indeed "loaned" and not given for free you can most likely get the user scammer tagged.

On another note, I wouldn't blame your nephew, but I'd actually personally put the blame on you. TF2 is an M rated game and so is trading. You need to be mature enough to understand not to give people stuff like hats and expect to receive them back. The fact that your nephew did just that, an hour later, proves he isn't mature enough to be playing TF2. This something you should have realized. While there are a lot of young kids on TF2 (despite the games M rating) some are mature enough to handle it... It appears your nephew wasn't.
  3. Nero Chinki

Nero Chinki New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:30535511
    Exactly this, if chatlogs are visible for us to see we can at least tag him if the evidence is sufficient (chatlogs and inventory history being the main pieces, an info tab of the scammer would be good for starters but its better to post such a thread in the Report a Scam area like shown here - http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/...-look-at-acceptable-format-before-posting.51/ ). A situation like this shows that even if you (or in this case your nephew) trust someone they can allways turn the complete other way, blinded by greed and wealth, when you least expect them to do so.

You can also try to send a ticket to Steam Support, chances are small they'll return the hat but it doesnt hurt to try.
  4. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Create a report with:
    - Trade history screenshots
    - Give SR ID blocks of your nephew and the scammer.
    - What community server this happened on (if it was on a server, check history, and question your nephew on how it exactly happened)
    - What time and timezone (time is visible in trade history, timezone is handy for the logs etc....).

And give a link to the report here. If the server is any bit reputable I'll be able to get the owner to get their logs if there is any.

As for regaining the unusual, make a steam support ticket, state exactly what happened. And then put up the steam support ticket ID in the SR report. No guarantees tho, thats entirely up to Steam support and SR has no influence on that.
  5. Scooty Puff Jr.

Scooty Puff Jr. New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:34050552
    While I know you just want to help and this situation is a depressing one, Steam Support won't do anything with this situation because the nephew agreed to a trade (twice to click accept) and it is his responsibility to manage the hat appropriately.
  6. Nero Chinki

Nero Chinki New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:30535511
    This i know, hence why i said the chances are small that they'll actually return the hat in question.
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

While the chances are small to get the hat back, steam support DOES make notes on scamming accounts and action on them if enough happens.

So any such report DOES help. Please stop trying prevent victims to make a steam support ticket on issues, or at least DO FULLY inform them when you give a estimate of what will happen, and why it still helps to make the support ticket. I'm pretty annoyed to see such still by admins/mods nowadays.
  8. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Sublime, add me on Steam and give me the profile info on this bastard who stole the hat (from profile, inventory, trading history), I will try to have a "little talk" with this cretin.
  9. Sublime

Sublime New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:9493992
    Alright appreciate all info guys, ill see if my nephew took screenshots and report this guy. Yea prolly my fault as well but ill be buying another unusual for him today, he just get so excited and happy when he see other people wearing unusual's and this isn't gonna stop me for giving him another one. I'm more upset to the fact that my nephew got screwed by hes friend than losing the hat, not really worried about getting back the hat. Knowing i can report this guy and tagged him as a scammer is quite a relief ( If my nephew took sufficient screenshot that is ).

And Added VenGanZa!
  10. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182

This is just my personal opinion, but what lesson does your nephew learn if you buy him another unusual?