1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

um... a question.

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Cedar, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Cedar

Cedar New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:30888088
    i went on a trade sevrer, saying what i usealy do about selling everything in my backpack. a guy trades me, asks for some stuff and then the ebenzer. i do not try to hide the fact that it is gifted, and sell it. a couple minutes later, he retrades me asking for a refund or he will report me. i tell him i would not like it back, and he says he will report me., then continues on. is this a legitimate reason for him to report me?

he also says he will get me trade banned afterwords, which he cant do, as valve doesnt trade ban people ( unless mass scammers, or people who recieve vast ammounts of carded or duped stuff in a 1 sided trade i think?)

after i closed the trade he proceded to tell everyone on the trade server to report me.
  2. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

not really, unless he asked it to be clean. Altho the ebenezer isn't really a hat that is gifted normally I guess.
  3. Cedar

Cedar New User

Steam:
    he never asked for it to be clean , he simply asked for the ebenzer i had, and i only had one. the trade took aobut 15 min anways, so i doubt he didn't check.
  4. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Listen stop messing about with semantics, it is patently obvious you were sneaky.

The onus is on YOU to inform the person that it is gifted, no reputable trader will use the excuse "caveat emptor" in this situation, ethically the responsibility falls on the trader to properly disclose such things, no wonder he wanted to trade you back. If you had any sense of fairness you would do so.
  5. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

venganza, responsibility is on both sides, buyer wants something, he should check for it, seller has exception on item but may have overlooked it. Should seller mention it? maybe. tbh I wouldn't require it.

*shrugs*

When I get additions on my backpack, I thoroughly check every item I trade for, for I require it be clean, no craft numbers etc. I miss such sometimes, sure, but that's my problem for not checking, not expressing.
    But knowing trading out there, I wouldn't expect traders to remember every cranny of each item, or even see it.
  6. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    I am with DataStorm... If you are trying to sell your house IRL and a murder occurred in your house, it's a law here in USA you aren't required to mention that. Why hurt your own sale by down talking your own property. They can do their own research... research... research? You mean hovering over the Ebenezer. I think your opinion is a little off, venny. It's not on YOU to inform them. Is it on you to inform them the hat is duped? No it's not. Honestly it doesn't matter if he didn't tell the buyer in this given circumstance.
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

If buyer had asked, then seller had to tell.
  8. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:

I am with you 100%.
  9. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Oh rubbish, if an experienced trader is selling an item for full price, he should presume the buyer is either new or has not noticed a gift tag. Note I am speaking about EXPERIENCED TRADERS here, and to do anything less is deception by omission. irrespective of the fact no penalty may apply on SR. Caveat emptor is no excuse, by this logic one might sell a normal Surgeons Stahlhelm for the price of a Burning Surgeons Stalhhelm, and claim "well the buyer didn't notice, and they are the same hat"

Far too many kiddies in this game appear to have parents who never taught them right from wrong. All the people who are happy to sell some gifted item to some muppet if they can get away it, usually scream blue murder when they get dudded.
  10. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    If the buyer came to you looking for your Ebenezer, he should have checked its status. While, trading back is polite, it's not required.

That's if what you said happened, happened as you said it.
  11. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    Are you dumb? I don't mean to sound rude at all, but... seriously? A gifted 4 key hat vs an unusual worth 20 buds isn't the same at all. It's not even in the same ballpark. What was agreed was an ebenezer. Not an unusual ebenezer. Not a clean ebenezer not a dirty ebenezer... ANY old ebenezer. If someone's offering 20 buds for a stahlhelm it's quite obvious they are talking about the burning one and not the craft hat. Passing off the regular stahlehlm as the burning would be a scam. There wouldn't be a single person on the planet who could put up the argument that they thought the person wanted to buy their 2 refined (or whatever) stahlhelm for 20 earbuds. It would be fraud and I'd hope receive a full scammer tag as obviously it was the burning stahl the two parties agreed on. Even if the user only said "stahlhelm." I really think you're out of your mind if you can compare these two scenarios at all.

If you want to make the comparison you did, it would have to be one user expecting to get a burning stahl and instead getting something like a vivid stahlhelm. Why? Unusual hats = purple... Unique hats = Yellow... Big difference. You'd have to be practically stupid at this point with the 2x trade confirmations to have 20 buds pure and get scammed in such a way that you can't tell the difference between a vivid and a burning.

Given what the OP said. It's not deception at all. Please don't treat it like it is. You may say a lot of smart things Venganza, but honestly, this isn't one of them and I am personally disappointed in how you've attacked this user and treated him like you'd treat a full fledged scammer.
    D2Girls and AcesGamer like this.
  12. Maddux

Maddux New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20658158
    It should be both the seller and the buyers job to check the items. If you don't have the 2 seconds it takes to look at an item to check out what it actually is, you should not be making higher value trades.
  13. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:
    In any event, you shouldn't be marked/banned for it.
  14. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that.

As for ForteSP's little rant, a case of can't see the wood for the trees, and most certainly does not grasp the concept of of relative worth even with with an exaggerated example. The fact remains that any experienced trader knows that in general terms a gifted item is worth as much as 50% less, and to sell for full value without checking the user is aware is asking for trouble, and the OP most certainly did not.

The fact you can get away with it, does not in any way make it right. It does not surprise me people fail to grasp ethics, this game if full of morally bankrupt kiddies.
  15. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

thnx...
  16. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:

I was addressing the OP's question. I understand your argument and I don't necessarily disagree. But I am not aware of all the aspects of the situation, and for all I know, the other trader bought it knowing it was Gifted and then after trying to sell it, found out Gifted items went for less.
  17. Nathan Cash

Nathan Cash New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45077164
    To OP: If someone bought an item from you for full price and its gifted, it is the nice thing to do to trade them back. You don't have to though. Personally, I see both sides of this argument. On one side it is the buyers job to check out the item, on the other lots of traders buy dirty hats cheap and sell them full price to ignorant traders. I think it is deceptive to do this, but it shouldn't be punished by Steamrep IMO.
  18. Bluedemon

Bluedemon Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:31851817
    The ethical thing to do as a buyer is disclose anything about the item you can, I.E. gifted, duped, ETC. There isn't a requirement to do this but in every situation I have ever had involving a duped or gifted item I make it known from the start. As for the returning of the item, it's another moral issue that you would have to make for yourself. I have returned items when asked and I have refused. It all depends on the situation you are faced with.
  19. Cedar

Cedar New User

Steam:
    Well, that's an answer that will work for me, after reading this over.
  20. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    It's the buyer's responsibility to check these things.
    At the same time, why were you selling a gifted item for full price?

I'm just asking..because back then when I was a newbie, I did the same thing with craft hats almost.
    I was saying that I was selling hats for 1 ref. I never said craft or clean, just named the hat. At first I believed they were worth 1 ref, because the buyers themselves seemed to assume they were clean.
    At the time, the dirty versions sold for 0.33 - 0.66.