1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Suggestion - Regarding Tf2-outpost's Phishers, Let's get rid of them.

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Armored Squirrel, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Armored Squirrel

Armored Squirrel New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:66426393
    I've got a suggestion regarding Tf2-outpost's phishers.
    I'm aware of the suggestion box but i wants peoples opinions and thoughts about this.
    We all are aware of Phishers. Several people each day are clicking these links.
    They are getting hijacked and Moderators in different internet pages are getting work to do, Etc. [+] SteamRep, Tf2-outpost. It's kinda sad that Moderators and admins needs to take care of phishers. So i've got a suggestion that will make it easier. It won't make them leave complete, but i guess it will make it less.

Suggestion For Tf2-outpost: Get a new conditions before you can post.
    - You need to have made at least 25 trades in Tf2-outpost before you can post in other peoples trade.
    - Account needs to be activate in Tf2-outpost for 48 hours before you can post on other peoples trades.

You can only post on your own trade before you complete these two conditions. These two conditions are working the same. But you can make 5 trades each hours. So if these phishers wanna make the 25 trades so they can post on others trades. It will take them 5 hours before they can post on other peoples trade. Then the second condition will be for safely if they use the 5 hours. Then they still need to wait 48 hours. 48 hours is changeable. Feel free to vote it up or down. I'm fine whatever you guys thinks.

That's all for me. Thank you for reading. I do appreciate if you can leave your opinion and thoughts. I never judge. While i'm still here, sorry if i'm posting in the wrong thread. I'm sorry for not using the suggestion box in Tf2-outpost. I've used it and respects it but like i said. Opinions & Thoughts.
  2. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

often its existing users that all of sudden go spam phishing links... so the 48 hours membership / 25 trades won't deter that much. I don't think they should block new users to post on other's trades, for often those won't have any to go with anyway. so having 25 trades as a requirement would kill off any new users, which is a unwanted situation.
  3. KamiKatze

KamiKatze New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:11626248
    Users shouldn't be allowed to do anything in TF2Outpost if their Steam Account is brand new, got no community page or a hidden profile/backpack. So if an account isn't even 30 days old, it shouldn't be able to link with tf2outpost. and even if the account is older than 30 days, if it's profile/backpack is hidden or it's community page doesn't even exist, then it should never be allowed on outpost. not even if it is 9 years old.

btw. today some user from tfportal.de warned us in a thread about these phishing comment/link beeing posted on many trades @ tf2outpost:
    [​IMG]
  4. Armored Squirrel

Steam:
    [​IMG][/quote]

Lol SteamCONRmunity. Phisher level -9001
  5. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Sneeza and his army of little minions do a good job, and it would be better still if people used the REPORT feature to alert them to phishers.

I highly doubt Sneeza is going to implement any kind of feature which will lessen traffic to his site, it is pretty easy to report any infringements and from experience I find OP Mods act on rule breakers pretty damn quickly.
  6. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    Shouldn't this be on TF2 OP's forums, in their "Suggestions" board?
  7. Armored Squirrel

Steam:

Oh. It maybe should. Didn't notice that the steam group was a forum for them. Thanks
  8. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Maybe, but it is fine here too.

Remember a LOT of OP Mods read threads here :)
  9. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    Just make it so people with F2P accounts or newly setup profiles with 0 items can't post anything.
  10. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    Doesn't stop hijacked accounts from posting.
  11. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    Ban everyone with unusuals.
  12. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:

BAN EVERYONE.
  13. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Ban everyone with *aos in name, work for me :)
  14. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    I still don't know why Outpost allows non-approved links.
  15. McCreW

McCreW New User

Yeah I think that I would put that there not here.
  16. Armored Squirrel

Steam:

Is that a sentence? I didn't understand a word. Anyway, I wants it to be here because people from different communities are activate. But thanks for the thoughts and opinions. I like "AcesGamer" suggestion. Sure hijacked accounts can still post. But it will be at least less phishers. That's fact.
  17. McCreW

McCreW New User

How my god I just realized I completely typed that wrong, thanks for letting me know.
  18. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:

I understand but it's something you're suggesting OP to do. While this area is good for discussion, your post is more about a suggestion to a problem specific to OP.
  19. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

The whitelisting is about making links of approved sites, still doesn't prevent users to make non-clickable links. to parse all text to check if these are links or not etc is way too much work, and would only lead with ingenuity issues that the dumb just will correct....

an example :
    Code:
    http://fakestea msite.com/profile/46132451324 
    they will just remove the space from it, and they will gimmick the system to get it not detected etc.

You can solve a problem, but you cannot solve stupidity. Go watch the movie "Idiocracy"
  20. Dr. Vakito

Dr. Vakito New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:42808948
    First off, sorry for my really bad typing, I'm doing this really late at night and my brain wants to rest but here are 2 more things outpost could do to stop phishing accounts from using the site :3
    1. You must have a premium TF2 account to sue the site (this will not affect 99.9999% of people since it is a trading site and trading is only for premium players and since all those fake phishing steam accounts are just 'disposable' accounts that does not matter if they get banned because they can just create another whereas if you make it so only premium accounts can sue the site then the phishers would have to pay for premium TF2 which will deter a lot of them as it is like throwing money down the drain!
    2. You will have to fill in a reCAPTCHA every 5 posts or so. Pretty self explanatory, it takes an awful lot of coding to get bots to even get the barest grasp of what that jumbled up word says, this will also deter a lot of phishers.
    Anyways, thanks for reading :D