1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Can this guy get marked? (based on the situation)

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Derpingson, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derpingson

Derpingson New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:40933447
    So me and my friends were joking around on some server the other day and decided to uncrate. At that point it was just me and a buddy. Of course, we got nothing.

The next day another buddy of mine apparently uncrated an Aces High Dragonborn Helm. But due to his inexperience, he price matched another Unusual Dragonborn Helm thinking prices were based on the hat not the effect (no idea). So he posted on outpost his unusual for 20 Keys. A few minutes later, some guy came in, added him and basically traded the Dragonborn for around ~10 keys or so in Ref, Keys, Hats, etc.

[The Trade](http://i.imgur.com/TCaxuDj.png)
    [The Sharker](http://steamcommunity.com/id/xfticktockman/)
    [Whom Currently Has It](http://steamcommunity.com/id/NekidCheze/)
    [Capt'ns Alt](http://steamcommunity.com/id/CaptLongshot/)

Not sure how much he sold it to Capt'n Longshot for, but it has had some nice offers already.

Longshot's trade here: http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/12389546

- July 4th: Friend Uncrated
    - July 4th: Friend traded to Tick Tock
    - July 5th: Tick Tock traded to Longshot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't think it would ever do anything, but I posted this on Reddit and apparently he may be able to get marked. According to my friend, the guy just put stuff up in the trade window and asked my friend if what he put was okay. Since my friend doesn't really have any trading experience, he went on with it.

It's not exactly sharking as in, giving people wrong prices, but he obviously knew what he was doing. Being that he has a bunch of unusuals.

- Just checked and he set his inventory to private now. Wonder why.
  2. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Well SR doesn't generally speaking touch "sharking" directly, and there are good reasons for this.

Most reputable servers take their own action in such cases, because they choose to protect their users from people they consider untoward. In this case, I can certainly live without such a person :)

Player xF |:. Tick Tock Man
    Steam ID STEAM_0:0:6073670
    Steam Community 76561197972413068
    IP address no IP address present
    Invoked on 07-06-13 21:49
    Banlength Permanent
    Expires on Not applicable.
    Reason shark http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/can-this-guy-get-marked-based-on-the-situation.36281/#post-107217
    Banned by Admin
    Venganza
  3. Panda :3

Panda :3 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42160393
    What Venganza said is true, SteamRep tends to not deal with sharking, but currently we at Harpoon are taking sharking reports. If you would like to go to our website and put your report up there, it will be reviewed. The problem I see with this case though, is that while it was obviously sold pretty far below even the lowest offer he would potentially get, there isn't any chat showing that the shark intentionally misled him. I think that it would still be accepted with the current state of evidence, because while effects on new hats are quite unstable, no new effect on ANY hat would sell for as low a value as this individual payed.
  4. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    I'm pretty sure this can't get him marked. Unless the guy who bought it said "I'll give you 20 keys in items" then gives him about 10. Even then that's only sharking. If the dude just offered his 10 keys in items that's not really a bannable offense. And also I'm pretty sure that unusual has no price because of the newness of it's effect. And therefore you can't really say it's sharking or scamming because of this.
  5. Panda :3

Panda :3 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42160393
    So just because it's a new unusual, paying 10 keys for it isn't sharking? So if you unboxed a Disco Nights Trophy Belt and I bought it off you for 10 keys in items, sold it for 6 buds two hours later, you wouldn't consider yourself as having been sharked? My point is, it may not have an official price on backpack.tf, but that doesn't mean it isn't sharking.
  6. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Steam:
    Well in my opinion it wouldn't be right. But I'm saying it isn't sharking if the sharker (in question) didn't say his items were worth 20 keys. :3 The unusual itself has no price so if the dude is asking for 20 keys as a buyout for it on the TF2OP trade then the dude himself is setting the price and will obviously be offered below 20 keys for his items. It isn't morally right as the more experienced traders should have warned him. But in itself it doesn't count as sharking.
  7. xF |:. Tick Tock Man

xF |:. Tick Tock Man New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:6073670
    Wow - didn't even realize I had been banned.

So first - let's present an accurate version of what happened here:

I did buy an Aces Dragonborn from a kid on the server who advertised it for sale - I traded him and and asked what he wanted for it - he replied he didn't know, so I asked if I could offer. He agreed and I started adding items, which added up to considerably more than 10 keys, and I was still in the process of adding items when he hit the "ready to trade" option. I asked him if he was ok with that amount, he said he was. I at no time tried to tell him what his hat was worth - neither of us knew, Dragonborn helmuts are not typically a high tier hat, and being new I had no frame of reference for the value of the effect, it could just as easily been comparable to N&B. This item had just came out and there was no pricing.

Just to point out something here -this person reporting this (telling the story secondhand I might add, he wasn't there for any of this) indicated his friend based the price he asked on Outpost on what a regular Dragonborn helmet costs - has anyone ever seen a regular dragonborn selling for 20 keys? BTW, I never saw his outpost trade, I just saw him saying in chat on a trade server that he was selling an unusual - the rest followed as described above.

I would appreciate it if someone could review this ban - I admin on Darkly trade servers, I MM quite often and have a sterling reputation - and having this inaccurate nonsense posted about me is quite troublesome. I find it even more troubling that you would accept as suitable evidence a story told secondhand....I mean really, does the "I know a guy who says..." really stack up as a credible source of info for impuning a player's reputation and issuing a ban? I mean I could understand if this was a longtime member of the forum who has established a track record for being dependable - this guy has one post....and is telling a story he heard from a friend - how can this meet any even modest standard for evidence?
  8. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Steam:
    You're not banned on SR only on HG and GoV (from what I can tell from these previous posts) so you would need to go to those communities to appeal any bans.
  9. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    Massive gravedig, please don't post in threads that are months old without any recent posts. In any event, SR does not handle sharking and your SR profile does not show any bans.

While I won't speak for GoV, and speaking purely as a HG admin, he is not banned on HG, and while a former HG admin gave an opinion, we don't ban without looking into the evidence.

Locked.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.