1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Answers from DerrickG Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by HelenAngel, Jul 26, 2013.

1. HelenAngel

HelenAngel Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8627755
    This thread is for discussion relating to DerrickG's Answer Thread

Let's please keep discussion on topic! Discussion should be constructive, focused on the answers provided, and insightful.

Please be aware that trolling, insults, "crap"posting, etc. will cause your comment to be moderated. Thank you! :)
  2. Hitman Sparky

Hitman Sparky User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:13772726
    Now, with the Q&A thread already posted up (Thanks Derrick!), I've, myself, have been wondering. "How does one get to the Steam Support team?" Although there might be responses which laugh at my silly question, think of this. From what I've seen, there are many people on the support team. Sure, some (or all) may be working for Valve itself, but how does one go through the process of branching into Steam Support? And what does the control panel (all the options they have) look like? Now THIS, is what I'm wondering.
    Sari likes this.
  3. fluffball13

fluffball13 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:49430834
    Ya, i'm wondering this too...
    But supposedly, i quess if your on the Support team, your not considered a Developer, but as a Valve Employee.
    As for "branching into Steam Support" you probably just apply for it, or just go to Valve, ask for Positions, and apply to Support. (If you want :p)
    And the control panel is probably able to do many things that the 1971 version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The factory its self looks silly. :)
    Also, google is your friend in this case, as this is what i'am presuming and possibly not 100% sure on.
  4. Fish-E

Fish-E New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20383843

All support employees work for Valve.
  5. orzguy

orzguy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:18889975
    I wonder how Steam support handles the following scenario.

Assuming A bought keys using stolen credit card.
    A traded keys with B for an item.

When the credit card chargeback occurs, will B lose his keys?
  6. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:11020111
    thanks derrick for the answers, just want to get back on one :
    Q: How many times have you been wrong about a trade ban? How much proof is necessary for getting someone banned?
    A: Most scamming cases are very clear cut. It's a very rare occurence for a trade ban to be given and it be incorrect. We take appropriate steps necessary to make sure our decision is correct and fair.
    That being said, if contacted regarding a false ban we do our best to review the case and take appropriate action.

I can Clearly Confirm that, i have been trade banned once (for 15 days), asked why etc, investigated and gave proofs of my innocence, and 2 days later i was unbanned, they couldn't tell me why i have been and answered that they were sorry for the inconvenience.
    Thanks to the support though.
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

They cannot pass on what somebody tells them to someone else for liability. But they will work it out. Its just unhandy if you have no idea what the problem is. that is my only problem with it, they cannot tell you what exactly the problem is, and if you have no clue you have to work it out by doing a complete list of all specifics on all your tradings of the 3-4 weeks before they locked/banned your account.

Never ran in any problems whatsoever for I do only item trading, no money trading.
  8. Evanescence

Evanescence New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19459148
    Question to him in case he want to answer:

Do you plan to expand the support team in order to reflect more the past of the support, where all the answers were relatively fast. Now you have to wait a few days, for example, a message i sended July 14th and still got any answer. The system seems now slower with more pre-etablished messages than before.

Another question: Do you plan to choose chat support someday?

Been once community banned per mistake for 2 months, they unbanned me after 2 days with apologies without further explanations.
  9. HelenAngel

HelenAngel Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8627755
    I could be wrong, but I don't think he can answer questions regarding employment, guys. :( He's in Support, not Human Resources.
  10. MrPeepers S> 30+ UNUSUALS

MrPeepers S> 30+ UNUSUALS New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:162059
    Lucky you, i was wrongly trade banned(and now in the
    probation stage
    ) and proved my innocence and was given "we cant help you further on this issue" No info, no proof(there wouldnt be any) no nothing, your just f✿✿✿ed and enjoy.

http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561197960589847.35034/

Thanks for answering the questions given, but it seems steam support is all, depends on the mood of given admin of that day.
  11. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    Ahh, your not the first to be banned for trading with a Hijacked Person. There was even a thread made about this back then.

When I do paypal trades, I try to be very careful who I trade with and usually I don't trade with the person right away.
  12. SheeEttin

SheeEttin New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:13857865
    ...is he actually going to read this?

Derrick, quite frequently we see users posting about how inconsistent Steam support is in execution of policy. For the same infraction, some users get banned, some get warned, and some get nothing at all. Is there something you can do on your end to coordinate your representatives to be more consistent?

Additionally, you said that frequently, representatives will reverse a decision without comment. While I understand your need to protect the privacy of other users, is is possible to be more transparent in your decisions, to help users understand what they did wrong and how to not repeat their errors?