1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

I am brokering a hat; guy goes and scams

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by PIXELATED, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Allow me to give some context (all facts). It all started with me finding this trade. I was browsing outpost at the time seeing how my old hats had passed through hands. He was asking for a broker, so I offered my service and we added each other. After agreeing terms (I have control over the hat; but must ask for consent when selling) I began brokering. This is my brokering trade: http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/12493996 Showing I started this 2 weeks ago.

As time goes on, I sell the brown bomber. I added my own Moon Phantom for a Miami KE. With his consent. This was a week ago: http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/12933665. WorldBoss was happy as long as he received ~30 by the end of this.

Now to real time; I wake up with a good friend saying he was scammed by WorldBoss. I was confused at first etc. And looked at the report threads given to me: http://forums.steamrep.com/search/1710483/?q=76561198079340961&o=date

So here's my dilemma: I own around 30 buds worth of his stuff. I don't have the original hat to return to him, so do I continue trading until I repay him? Or give the stuff to his victims? (although Vijm I think got banned for that) Or what?

Now for my speculation, I think he's been hacked. I can say this from knowing he is not a confident trader; hence why I'm brokering. He has never traded cash before, and I asked him if he could add cash to the Miami KE as a upgrade, he responded with I have none. From his trades: http://www.tf2outpost.com/user/266578
    It also seems strange, but that could be cause he scammed. But these are my idea's and should not be used, I have hope he was hijacked but also hope he wasn't so I can help the victims. Getting off topic; so I'll finish.

- Pixelated
  2. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

keep it separate for a while, don't do any with it, if you get good offers, tell them to wait/hold.

The mess needs to be sorted b4 we can decide on it.

3. The problem with waiting for the mess to sort out, is I have basically invested 10 buds into the hat. And knowing how long Paypal scams can take to be resolved (hijacked or not) seems like I will also be missing out, and if it turns out he was a scammer. Why can I not give his hat back out to the victims in fair shares? (Not saying I am)
  4. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Because currently all is up in the air, and no way to discern whats best. Valve will have to sort things out, and only after that we will find out who is missing out on what.
  5. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    I've seen many reputable traders suddenly start to scam people, this may be no different.

If he is hijacked, he's going to have a very ban time with steam support I imagine.

6. He's far from reputable, but I understand your logic.
  7. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    You fear that the hat will go down in price?
    If that's the case, will it cause anyone harm if you turned the hat into buds so you don't lose profit..or is there another reason why?

8. Well just generally not being able to trade it is a large waste of time, but the guy has now shown he is a scammer and not hijacked (traded the unusuals and continuing)
  9. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

If you want to trade it into promo's/keys etc then thats fine. But we do like to know what exactly happens with it.

10. If you, or anyone else, wants to add me I'll be fine with that. I'm sure you've heard, but Worldboss (who's changed his name, and put a "thief" remark in his steam desc) has sold the hats for a Moon Jefe and is selling that now, so it seems he is a scammer. I'll likely just keep the trade up, it's not a hat that can be flipped fast. I'll keep you posted.