1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Concerned about the recent integrity of Steamrep

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by AcesGamer, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    This is by far the most ignorant comment I have ever read, congratulations. As an outsider, you have no idea of what you're even rambling about.

You of all people should know how easy it is for someone inside the SR circle to get their reports processed. If they can receive and make judgement calls that are to the exact norms of SR, what is stopping them from helping out?

That's not the point either. SR should not be policing the community and deciding who bears the right to trade.
  2. Awesome McCoolName [MCT]

Awesome McCoolName [MCT] Unconfirmed Reports

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:17647895
    Never knew that, and i'm sure i'm not alone.

I'd guess most people don't know about that. Plus, its a hassle/something easy to forget to do. Why not just have any threads that that search would pull up be presented under the "additional information" banner (with a note saying these threads don't necessarily belong to this person--depending on how accurate the search function is).
  3. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Search forum will find any thread where that account pops up, either where they report a scammer or where they where reported as a scammer. The only ones you wont find are in the subforums you don't have access to.

For that reason and to promote usage of the Communities to report to, we keep those way closer up-to-date. Unfortunately, the communities aren't much used to report to, while its a way faster route then report to SR.
    D2Girls likes this.
  4. Awesome McCoolName [MCT]

Awesome McCoolName [MCT] Unconfirmed Reports

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:17647895
    Ok, well make a search that will only search reports and appeals, that way, any links that are brought up will pertain to the users validity as a reputable trader.
  5. Randinie Grey Beard

Randinie Grey Beard New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8100589
    So I take it you approve stealing, exploiting the weak, hurting others so you can profit? Funny, I thought your post was a new level ignorance but I choose not toss insults. Fact is a Fact, they stole from people, exploited them for self profit, this is immoral and wrong, good people do not do that. Helping a scammer sale his stolen good is also just plain wrong, every society in the world has viewed buying stolen goods as wrong. I cant decide if I am more shocked you have to be told this, again, or that you are defending it.
    Roudydogg1, D2Girls and Sari like this.
  6. I have done similar posts to this:
    http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/1715-steamrep
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/opinion-on-steamrep-at-this-current-time.34771/

I guess I should add my two pence. From the perspective of a new user, I have only been trading for about 8 months, and not even a year in steam.I have been scammed, sharked, insulted; met friends and foes; traded in paypal and games and marketplace and etc. etc.

I discovered Steamrep in my early days, and it was seen as the bible to me and many others.

Awesome & Teeird (Who I admire both very much, Awesome guiding me through paypal & Teeird for helping in my times of need) Although I agree with the idea of a third part group should not rule on who you can/cannot trade with, SteamRep is only stopping you from playing in the agreeing community, like a exclusive club that has rules. If you get marked on SteamRep you are still free to trade, play and well... do anything you could before; you are simply exiled from the groups and community's that agreed to the SteamRep law. So that is not a problem as I see.

Marking however is, and under staffing as well. With this being a community over the "master power". You should be less worried about securing perfect staff and lower the standards, with more errors from the new staff you should be able to cope with the errors better with more staff (win-win). The marking process is far too long, even a day should be too long. A scammer will get out quick, so at this time (from my experience), reporting someone is useless unless you have a admin at side. A friend recently got scammed in a paypal incident, almost exact to mine: 3 victims, involved cash, the guy might have been hijacked. My friend was lucky enough to have Pretender added and the report was handled, and the guy marked in under 12 hours (even the report began tagged as 'not enough info') My report you ask? Still untouched my admins for upcoming 4 months.
    The direction the mark people seems skewed, picking out reports in any order and choosing who to/who not to. This is brought up in my Backpack.tf post, where Helen does reply kindly saying they are prioritized, yet then why is mine so late behind? I went to add any of the Steamrep admins, and it was not easy. It took 45 minutes to be accepted by either Cobra's "fast service" (Which I would like to thank the effort they have put it, mainly Vintage Cobra who has helped me) It's all a mess.

The reason why "was" is to say it's a brilliant concept from a young, tenacious person (me) but has problems clearly cut from my and others view. Although I could keep writing, I believe some of my other points are already spoken by the other users. So to summarize, I would like to think Steamrep will change but to change to the degree I would like, it's unlikely and am disappointed at this.
    OhGAWD and D2Girls like this.
  7. Supreme Pootis™

Supreme Pootis™ Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:37618161
    Do you think everyone that wears a scammer tag deserves it? Some people just had some misunderstandings, etc.
  8. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Time and time again things like that are popped up, and when those are asked to link a couple, we find way more evidence that they really scammed or where doing other very bad things. Really, scammers say that, and their alts that aren't yet marked, to blur away their tags, and nobody that is listening to them even hits the search button to check up on it. Give example or hold your silence, for you really don't know what you talk bout.
    Roudydogg1 and D2Girls like this.
  9. Supreme Pootis™

Supreme Pootis™ Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:37618161
    Well you wanted some examples.
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/fake-rep.37932/
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561198043177191-the-letter-h-sr-scammer.37951/#post-

http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561198001260431-↕↕↕↕↕↕-sr-scammer.21779/112441

http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561198045579335-jafarus-sr-scammer.37935/#post-112409
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/steam_0-1-19765808-sybarite-sr-scammer.37933/#post-112398
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561198001260431-↕↕↕↕↕↕-sr-scammer.21779/

Not everyone tagged is an actual scammer, that's why the appeal system was implemented.
    OhGAWD and Sari like this.
  10. Sari

Sari Helpful Member

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:50710336
    Kind of adding onto what Pootis said, I also feel handing out bans for "fake rep" is kind of ridiculous (unless if it was from obvious alts or no trade took place). Examples include all of the appeals Pootis linked.

I know I'm gonna get a shitstorm for saying this
  11. Jubei

Jubei New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:14055031
    Regarding the ability of members being able to post in report or appeal threads:

A lot of forum software will let you set a particular subforum to restrict posts to the OP and mods/admin and still make it viewable to the public. If somebody has something to say, they can make a new thread (like so-and-so also scammed me) or contact the OP or the mod team directly. So somebody can post a topic, reply to their own topic and view the whole board, just not reply to a thread created by somebody else. Of course mods and admins would have no such restriction.

If those areas were set up like that, it would reduce the clutter and help prevent misdirection and the occasional flame war that breaks out. I think it would be a reasonable compromise.
  12. D2Girls

D2Girls New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:17721741
    Couple of things wrong, not every system can be perfect. The evidence you've listed here hardly even puts a dent in the good name of Steamrep. To claim that the entire integrity of Steamrep is at risk because of these inaccuracies you've listed, well, sorry I just don't agree. Arent you well known for being on the wrong end with most of the Steamrep staff as well, Aces?
    Roudydogg1, Hitman Sparky and Sari like this.
  13. Teeird

Teeird New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:44724269
    I would also like to add a thing or two about your "UHC" tags, or better known as legacy tags. These tags aren't removable... why again? Back when SR was growing, the most popular place to trade was UHC. At the time, SR hadn't fully polished what merits a scammer, and they would mark people for the most ridiculous reasons, such as mic spamming in a server, or demo panning in a server. Yes this happened, I witnessed it. Ask Diego. There were a lot of goof ups on marking people back then. A lot of inexperience, which is understandable, SR went (and still is) through a lot of trial and error. At one point they even started marking people without evidence (if you've seen the UHC tags, none of them have additional information on why they were tagged). So needless to say there has been many people who have been wrongfully marked for ill reasoning, and they cannot remove marks for what reason? If I recall correctly, the reason was that the info that held all the data went under (UHC). I think it's unfair to determine this small minority of UHC tagged people as un-appealable. I know the classic argument of "we gave people 3 months to appeal", yet Steamrep wasn't widely used then, and a lot of people who have been marked at the time didn't know their mark existed. It's impossible to ask someone to appeal for something they might not been aware of all this time.

Why don't you make the UHC tags appeal-able again? If someone is passionate about getting back into the trading game, why not let them back in? Sure you could say they want in to scam again, but that was three long years ago when they first got the tag, a lot has changed since then. You could even give them a temporary caution tag in replace of the scammer tag. I know it's a tough decision to make.

I'm saying this to Steamrep/MCT, whoever is capable of making the change.
  14. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    Not at all. And either way, that's irrelevant.
  15. D2Girls

D2Girls New User

Steam:
    Well thats just plain rude. You expect people to take you seriously when you've got this kind of terrible attitude?

I don't see the problem here. OG has been duping s✿✿✿ for so long a couple of his duped vintages are bound to wind up on the market. It's what happened with the vintage buds, and max heads dropping down in price. I can safely say any duped stuff that the wanted.gov admins were acquired through legitimate means.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  16. Sari

Sari Helpful Member

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:50710336
    I feel that some of this is my fault: if I never made that stupid mistake Ace mentioned in his first post, I doubt this argument of "idiots shouldn't be allowed to comment on threads" would have been here. Yes, I know I screwed up on an appeal, and yes, I now know people like me shouldn't comment on them at all. Referring to what Jubei said about not letting random people comment on threads, I feel this would be a great idea, but only for appeals. Although you think by now they're cancer, these "steamrep vigilantes" can actually be useful by asking the victim on scam reports to provide info (and before you ask, I'm not talking about myself) which saves times for mods/admins. Appeals are only meant for the OP and SR admins, so there should be no reason why anyone else should comment on them, unless if told by the OP or SR admin to provide proof.

TL;DR, I think Jubei's idea would only be good in the appeals section.
  17. D2Girls

D2Girls New User

Steam:
    Forgot to add this... but don't you have a Youtube video how to shark? Why are you singling out Tony defending sharkers when you actually have encouraged people to commit sharking?
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  18. Fiskie

Fiskie tf2bazaar founder Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26166446
    If I had my way, I'd implement something like this into Bazaar - an entirely new service dedicated to logging scammer reports rather than use of the existing ticket system we have:
    • Each account would have its own scam report "board" - a list of reports and report comments linked to a Steam ID.
    • When reporting scams, users would have to input the following to a form:
      • The scammer's Steam ID. This would be it's own form element designed to parse SteamID32/CustomURLs as well to convert them to ID64 for system readability.
      • A list of other victims if applicable (who will be notified about the scam report and linked to it once it is submitted)
      • A category (Phishing, Item Scam, etc)
      • A description of the case.
      • Image uploads, which will be supported since we'll want to archive these.
    • When a scam report is submitted, the scammer will be notified on-site in case they want to make a defence. They can then try to debunk the evidence if they are actually innocent.
    • Each scam report for a user will be a thread in itself - they will have individual posts which can be used by defending scammers and users submitting additional information if their original report sucked.
    • A senior admin will be able to look over the report and make a verdict if enough evidence has been submitted, and tag the user as a scammer if applicable. If the report is lacking information, they can tag the report as incomplete until the user appends to it.
    • Additional scam evidence can still be submitted for a scammer even if they are already tagged for archival reasons.
    • All scammer reports will be publicly viewable from a user's profile in an easily browsable list.
    • Reports which are labeled as Needs More Info for too long (let's say a week) will be closed automatically.

From the frontend, we can automatically gather SteamID information from the Steam API instead of expecting users to paste all that crap in because somehow people still find that too difficult. All we need is an ID64 and all sibling reports will be neatly bundled together and we can generate links for SteamID stuff for scammers and victims in the report itself.

All in all, this would result in the following:
    • More-or-less automatic handling of scam reports which could immediately ban the user and tag them.
    • No need for templates for users to follow, since an AJAX-ready form will guide them.
    • No need to paste blocks of Steam ID information from SR when trying to submit anything.
    • Clean, readable reports, since the system will make sure everything is prettied up.
    • Account-based archival of scam reports.
    • No need to use XenForo.

I'm sure you understand why I haven't been able to add something like this in for several months, though.
  19. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

it already shows ALL reports where the searched party is in, either as victim, reporter or accused scammer. there is no way to discern between that.
  20. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

fiskie, while such would be very handy, it doesn't always cover everything on a case unfortunately.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.