1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Concerned about the recent integrity of Steamrep

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by AcesGamer, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Penguin The Fluffy

Penguin The Fluffy Articus Birdicus Defenderus Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:10455403

UHC tags are appealable through MCT, but only if they have evidence to prove their innocence, no new evidence means no appeal, especially for people who have appealed before and were denied. Truth be told 99% of the people who have appealed UHC tags so far at MCT have lied about the terms of their ban (as we have information on a large number of old tags from databases preserved during the UHC/UTC transition and the merger for UTC to MCT) or they have flat out admitted to scamming. (we have been auditing a lot of bans and will always continue to do so to make sure any tag handled by MCT is proper)
    Eoj Nawoh and You Are The One like this.
  2. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

3. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:11020111
    is it a thread about Steamrep or another thread trying to shot down GoV people? I'm GoV admin and I dont think starting saying s✿✿✿s about other communities is a good thing. Am I talking shitty about penguin and his tf2shop (that i dont like for many reasons).
    About the SR problem you are talking, Helen answered and I think she answered already about that a dozen times.

Now if you want to start a shitstorm about all admins of all trading communities (include SOP TS), no problem.
    I just keep thinking that SR staff, Helen, and others are doing a great job, are humans and cant be as efficient as robots...
    That's why the appealing section is up, every marked people are free to appeal if they have been marked by mistake...
    Sari likes this.
  4. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

yeap, she did, in a lot of places.
  5. Teeird

Teeird New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:44724269
    How would people who've been marked as a scammer for mic spamming on the UHC server get appealed then?
  6. Fiskie

Fiskie tf2bazaar founder Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26166446
    What does this even mean
  7. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    First Ill start off with the obvious;
    1. Both appeals and reports take way too long to complete. We always have projects in the works to improve these things.
    2. SR is understaffed. Most traders who are left are profit traders, they in general, make horrible admins.
    3. Legacy tags are a pain in the ass, no matter if you agree with them or not.
    4. Intentionally exploiting for profit is theft. You think if you exploit an ATM to give you more cash then you have in your account they wont arrest you? give me a break.
    5. The trading with scammers topic is a horse long dead/buried/rotted away; We indeed are not out to police who people trade with, but if you are knowingly fencing items for scammers (even if the item itself may not be stolen, the profits from the scam are likely to fund that users inventory, including w/e item you are purchasing) you are aiding (direct or indirectly) them in completing the scam, profiting. Allowing it to happen can/does/reaffirm/encourage them to continue scamming as they know that they will always be someone to buy even if they are tagged with little to no recourse. We do have a built in safety net for traders on this topic, see the FAQ for more of an explanation.
    You are aware that Steamrep admins (the people who make policy and such) are made up of almost all community admins from these same communities, I hope.
    Besides invalidating any point you ever made in one statement, we don't need any new "Robs" on our staff.
    Probably wrong, but irrelevant to the topic.

This post may reflect personal opinions and not necessarily the views of SR
  8. Fiskie

Steam:
    I agree wholeheartedly with this ideology.

What you want when looking for an admin is someone who used to trade often. If you hire someone who is actively trading they are more prone to be abusing powers just to give themselves an advantage, plus they'll be spending more time on trading than actual administration work. Also, age 18+ or no-go. However:

Call me when SR gives out THEFT/EXPLOIT tags so we can just ban them from using automated services. Until then, don't give them SCAMMER tags, because it's completely misleading. They are ~two different things~.

TF2WH can accept responsibility for the amount of screwups they've done, why can't everyone else?
  9. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Scamming is a type of theft. I'm not sure how else to explain that to you.
  10. Penguin The Fluffy

Penguin The Fluffy Articus Birdicus Defenderus Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:10455403
    we have the complete sourcebans import so if the only reason listed is micspam their tag either has already been removed or will be once it discovered. We have not had a single appeal where this is the case though. Every appeal we have had is from someone who has legitimately deserved the tag and it is left in place. Most have so far been using the account accountability claim of "Oh it was my brother on here" or "I didnt know I couldnt rename a pistol to Big Kill and try to sell it" ..... Users have to realize even if they were not the one who did the act on the account they are still responsible for the actions on it.

With that said please keep the thread on topic. This is not about how MCT chooses to handle tags that we have taken responsibility for. Rather for the community to voice it's opinion on the current state of SR and receive feedback on said issue.
  11. Fiskie

Steam:
    That settles it, then. Don't tag exploiting as scamming.
  12. Burnt Waflles

Burnt Waflles New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32594014
    Well I dont claim to know the first thing about the inner workings of steamrep, but I can say this: In steamrep's earlier days, people were targeted and threatened by SR, in some cases. I have seen evidence of certain SR members blatantly attacking people for outrageous reasons. Because of this, the community I belong too had a strong disdain for steamrep. However, not too long ago we gave SR another try. We found that SR had a more diplomatic process, and that there were some who were willing to help us. We have been so pleased with the way SR was run, that we worked quite hard to put the past behind us and mend our relationship with SR. I am still very grateful to Helen and Mattie, who I have contacted the most, for all the help.

But there have also been times that have made me question how loyal I wanted to be with SR. Some affiliate communities have been questionable, and recently some (not long departed) SR admins have been rude, threatening, and otherwise discriminatory to members of my group -- all because they wear this tag.

However, I am realistic that it is not easy for one small group to watch over so many. Despite the discouraging actions some take, I still support steamrep because I believe they do more good than bad. Other communities may have flaws, and SR may fall short at times, but is that really any reason to jump ship? There will always be a bad seed here and there, as long as they are not allowed to continue, then I am satisfied. So thank you Diego, Mattie, You Are The One, daemon, Vintage Cobra, BlueDemon, Pretendeer, Thomas Matthias, CanadianInvasion, Noobinator, and all the Moderators at SR. Keep up the good work.
  13. 1. Share these works so we know what you are actively working on, and we can have our say.
    2. I thought that was my point?
    3. Not sure how it invalidates my other points, it's just another topic I brought up, maybe I should have made it clearer.
  14. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

lol, you mean the ASBO / Map thing? Where that scammer admin of GHS was running around GHS with a alt. That reminds me, still no idea why the hell his accounts got untagged, he scammed, and afaik, he never repaid. And GHS let HIM be their spokeperson with a totally lunatic idea on copyright.
    Roudydogg1 and Backseatsman like this.
  15. Backseatsman

Backseatsman New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:31430526

Back when JAG got affiliated with SR I asked Helen about this. She said that all of these tags had been removed and that if any of them were seen to send them to her and that she would remove them. I'm not sure if that is still happening but I don't see anyone with a tag for panning/spamming. Do you have an example?
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  16. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Scamming itself is already a "smaller" term then what we cover. For example a false chargeback is technically not a scam but a fraud. Scamming in itself is the "quick act":
    - taking items or cash without paying in cash or items.
    - quickswitch

While we tag for chargebacks, phishing, impersonation, fake repping, etc, which aren't exactly a scam due time scale or type of action.

So the term "scammer" has a way broader definition here on SR. Defrauding a automated system for a profit, happens to fit the bill. And if tf2wh would report those to us, we will look into it.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  17. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Correct. In early days, any bans on associated comm's where given a "Caution tag". I did fight Diego about that rule for a long time (since start actually) but he stood by it (altho it was more heavily even early on with the caution tags, at start it was for any ban, later on only for bans of 2 weeks or longer, due my arguments with Diego). I didn't like them for they had nothing to do with trading and I knew some admins abused them. Only with the GHS story I could finally convince him to drop that rule. (Me banning all GHS admins from ASBO, and therefore all of them got a caution tag). With this, Diego had to concede..

Helen indeed has done a audit on various comm's to remove all those caution tags. If there still exist such, they can contact us to let it remove. but the condition is that the ban must not be trade related. So if the caution tag is part of a appeal ruling on a scammer tag, it stays. Examples that will get removed:
    - Trolling
    - Spamming
    - dislike of avatar by admin
    - panning
    - etc

As part of that, the caution tags on GHS where also removed.

So changes do happen, altho some take way too long :S.
    Roudydogg1 and Backseatsman like this.
  18. FAIR KILLER !!!

FAIR KILLER !!! New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:43747698
    Ehy guys.
    Uhm, I read everything and I tried to understund all the thread, maybe Aces guy said something right, but...

1) I donnow about abusing" a pricing error in the scrap.tf system, or abput the backpack.tf slaps a scammer tag on a fellow for "abusing" a pricing error in their trading card system. I m a bit outmarket from trading in last weeks and I didnt follow scrap.tf, cards market and not even the new effect/hats unusual.
    So I cant talk about this.

2) I agree about the slow managment of reports and sometimes it takes months. I know everyone here works as much as he can, but maybe there are few persons for this job. In the past I already gave my availability to handle something in SR.

3) Now, the incomprehensible point : "For a lack of better terms, GoV is a f****** shitty community with admins who buy from scammers (proof below), and run by absolute morons (VenGanza, Tony) .." ?_? So, wtf here? Why we should be a "shitty community" and our admins buy from scammers and... Our "owner" is a moron ????
    I will try to be most polite I could be, but I ask to the other admins if this kind of language is something fair here...
    Acers, I ask u proof about your heavy and grave words.
    Second thing, I really didnt understund why my name is in your post ("we have here Oggun and Fair Killer who have a very nice collection of OG duped items") when u didnt post anything about me above. About Oggun, all the link u posted are just outpost posts... I really dont get the point here.
  19. FAIR KILLER !!!

FAIR KILLER !!! New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:43747698
    If the problem is to own duped hats, well mate, maybe you are not so much into unusual trading, if not u perfectly knew that is shitty full of duped hats.
    Almost ALL the higher hats are duped, nowaday, and almost any unusual trader (admins included) got some duped s✿✿✿s in his bp.

Someone really care about "clean" hats and dont want at all duped hats. Personally I dont care at all, especially if I wanna keep the hat for myselg, because the nly problem I can see about duped hats is the probably hard to resell.

Totally different thing is to buy from scammers hacked/scammed hats, knowingly (and this also including alt users with 0,1 hours played).
    I m pretty sure about our community GoV is out from this behave. I could talk for sure about me, but also about Oggun and Tony that you named and accused in your post.

If you got any proof, please go on to report and mark us.
    If the other guys admins here need any help from me, get screenshots history and stuffs, I m open to give u everything u need to defende my integrity.

But if the Aces problem is just a prejudice against GoV, I dont think I could do anything for that..

P.S. Btw your reputation said me that are atually YOU in businness with scammers : http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198000020384
    -_-

Regards
  20. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

the abused item was in reality like a couple cents, but buyprice was set to some like 9 dollar. He "sold" those items, and bought new ones on market, and sold those again to bp.tf for refined, until pb.tf was depleted on refined.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.