1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Trade Callback Suggestion

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Feeder, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Feeder

Feeder New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:34083470
    Traded items should be locked for 30 min, allowing traders to call back the trade if they were scammed. So in other words... The items won't be available for use or trading in that time frame to allow the trader to verify the trade.
    This will reduce the scam reports and save you a lot of time.
  2. Sari

Sari Helpful Member

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:50710336
    1.) This would be incredibly annoying. If I buy a Frontier Justice, I'll want to use it immediately in-game but thanks to this I'll have to wait.

2.) This could be used to scam real world money. I could trade someone one of my hats, then tell them to send the money, then reverse the trade: giving me IRL money and my hat back.
  3. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    We can't add features ourselves, so I suspect you meant this as a suggestion for Valve?

What you describe is exactly the role that trusted middlemen serve in the community-- only transferring the item once both parties have confirmed the transaction is done.
    -Mattie
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Also, please do not multipost same "suggestion" on multiple places on same forum.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Mattie! likes this.
  5. Feeder

Feeder New User

Steam:
    The most annoying thing is getting scammed and not being able to claim your items back. It feels like scams are promoted. In most games violating rules results in a perma ban. Here it just gives the scammer a temporary title and nothing happens to him. Scamming is theft. Theft is a crime. And yes, I am butthurt!
  6. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    Scammers get trade banned by valve. So yes something happens. Also if you have proof they scammed you and you report it to steamrep and your report is accepted they get banned from tf2op a bunch of other websites and a bunch of tf2 servers. Also the scammer tags given are generally permanent which are only removed if they do certain things like give back the scammed items.
    Sari likes this.
  7. Feeder

Feeder New User

Steam:
    Miss communication scams always get away with hands soaked in blood. My report was just archived. I know for a fact that the person's intention was to steal. He traded me and then instantly removed me as friend and changed his name.
  8. Thomas Matthias

Thomas Matthias Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36213483
    You can always suggest such feature. However, you should be aware of the fact that it is not as easy as you think.
    This suggest that someone should verify if any kind of scam occurred. Who?
    Quote from Steam Trading Policy - https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9958-MJDG-3003
  9. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    I rather have a different option.

A "dispute" button. which then "locks" the items so neither party can do any with the items, till valve via a steam support ticket sorts it out... but that would undermine that last part of Thomas's post, so it wont come.

A "undo" trade will never be implemented, for valve's stance is that they do not support out of steam trading.
  10. Feeder

Feeder New User

Steam:
    @TM: Who? Traders are both parties who took part in the trade.

I haven't traded couriers yet. If the couriers doesn't state what effects it has, then how should I know it has none?
    If a person is not a scammer, then he would own up to his mistake and give back the items.
    If I didn't have a conscience, then I would just have scammed someone else to make up for my loss. But here I am looking for a solution.

I have learned that you can't trust anybody and will withdraw myself from all trades. Till trading isn't made more secure.
    I will continue to try and get my items back, because it was about the only items I had.
  11. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Feeder Trading IS secure, if you do item vs item trades only. If you trade for money, you use a good MM, the only small risk is chargeback, which you then check against the other's # of trades lately... a chargebacker will not be long on the market already, max 1,5 month-3 months on rare cases.
  12. Feeder

Feeder New User

Steam:
    We get exposed to scammers. I look at this guy's profile every day and see some new rare set added to his inventory each time. His name also changes regularly. The saddest part is when I see my items there and I can't do anything to get it back.
  13. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    Valve does not, and will never support item to external online money transfer services (PayPal, webmoney, etc.). All these trades are done at your own risk, which includes facing the consequences if you were scammed.
  14. Thomas Matthias

Steam:
    I asked you who would review 'undo' request.

Basically it looks like you do not want people to be able to 'undo' the trade if they were scammed but you want them to be able to 'undo' the trade anytime. You cannot expect fair judgment from people who have been involved in the trade.

It means that unless there is e.g. Steam Support reviewing 'undo' request, people will 'undo' trades because:
    - they were scammed
    - they are scammers
    - they are trading trolls
    - the price of items went up/down 15 minutes after the trade was done
    - etc.

If Steam Support get involved in reviewing 'undo' requests, they will end up with loads of unnecessary work because of:
    - trading trolls
    - people who changed their mind
    - changes of price
    - etc.

If you think that description of some items should be changed in order to prevent people from being scammed, it may be a good idea to suggest it to Valve/Steam.
    SilentReaper(SR) likes this.
  15. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Thomas: both parties should then have trade lock till resolved, that will take the trolls off, and severely lower on "other" reasons.

but it will never happen... for valve sees all such trades as "FINAL".
  16. Thomas Matthias

Steam:
    I think that trolls do not care. They can create alt accounts to troll. I think they will be even more satisfied with ability to trade lock other people.
  17. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    Interesting concept.
  18. NCPereira

NCPereira New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35293815
    This is a terrible idea. Seriously, it doesn't even make sense.
  19. Mrs TS

Mrs TS New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:29411941
    While the initial suggestion is seriously flawed, what WOULD be nice is after an item is traded, THAT item cant be traded for 'X" amount of days. Its locked in that persons backpack and if Valve deemed it was gotten illegally, it would still be in 1 place, instead of bouncing thru a dozen backpacks to launder it.