1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Why is a Marked Phisher allowed to trade?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by *F.B.I.* THeavyGuy, Nov 14, 2013.

1. *F.B.I.* THeavyGuy

*F.B.I.* THeavyGuy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:39697073
    I have been getting countless phishing attempts lately. I have been reporting to valve through the new system under the more button on the scammer steam profile. Actually I was surprised today to find out how fast Steamrep has him marked as a scammer now. However the fool is still allowed to trade, his trade ban status : None.
    I ask what good does it do if he's still allowed to trade. I know popping up a big warning helps when you hit his Steamrep but what about all the unsuspecting noobers or lazy peeps that don't check his steamrep and whats worse this fool can still go around pulling his phishing attempts and then raping peeps and selling the goods.
    Does this mean it will take time on steams/valves side of things before he is trade banned?
    I'm new so go easy on me if I don't no all these answers
    Thank you for your time and reading this through
  2. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    Steamrep can't trade ban. Only valve can.
  3. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    ^ just realised that doesnt help ;D. It stops him being able to use certain sites and go on to many trade servers that use the SR plugin.
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    And all the while trade banning doesn't do much against phishers anyway, they don't want to trade, they just spam hijacking links.

The action on our side is to mark them, and the trade sites/servers can ban with this information to prevent hijacking spam and other unwanted stuff on their site.
  5. rebelholic

rebelholic New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:30751131
    For OP if you have suggestion for valve about prevent the phishers please post on reddit: www.reddit.com/r/steam and valve will hear you.
  6. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Sending someone to a site that isn't really controlled by Valve is kinda counter productive and IMO a waste of time going anywhere near reddit. You are better off sending in a support ticket since it does go directly to them in this case.
    SilentReaper(SR) likes this.
  7. rebelholic

rebelholic New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:30751131
    sometimes steam support cannot help some people on the most cases like this link. I think we must find another way to get solve problem with quick
  8. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    If you read that link which again is pointless, it shows that the user did in fact get a response from Valve. Just because they didn't get the response they wanted doesn't mean it didn't work. But as I said before sending people to reddit is count productive and a waste of time, nothing more than a soap box for people to vent frustration and to try to build ego with that upvote crap. Posting this or anything else for that matter on that site or those like it will not get you any results beyond the limit in which Valve will give with direct contact be it you like what they say or not.