1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Does any work actually ever get done here?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by ForteSP, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    One of you actually contributed, the other did not. ;)
  2. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
  3. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    This is what Steamrep needs to be a functional site and a respected site.

1. A Ticket Tracker.
    This section is to just file reports for the sake of filing a report.
    -If the suspect is trade banned or trade probation, then it should be reviewed by a steamrep admin.
    -If there's multiple reports against this user, it should be reviewed by a steamrep admin.
    -If a mod feels the report is good where the evidence against the scammer is so obvious, they can pass these onto an admin as well.
    -If the evidence is really bad, it should just be removed from the Ticket Tracker so not to hurt anyone's rep.

2. Under Investigation
    -Anytime a report is passed onto an admin, there should be a "Under Investigation" mark.

3. Put unclear scams back into the Ticket Tracker
    -If someone is reported of scamming but the evidence isn't strong enough for the Admin to make an accurate decision of the scammer actually scamming, just put it back in the Ticket Tracker for a future public record.
    -If for some reason the evidence is really poor, then the mod needs to be questioned on why this was even passed to an Admin in the first place, and the report should be removed.

The point of this system is to keep the work simple an easy. Scammers who go on a scamming spree will be dealt with swiftly. While minor 1 time scammers will at the very least have a Ticket against them for the public to see. And the same time you could encourage victums to report to steam support more so you could easily mark these scammers at a later date.

(There are reports on your Forum where they were trade banned, but due to backlog no one even looked at the report)
    ----------------------------------

You say you're short staff, the question is why? Did the public loose so much respect for you that the majority doesn't want to be apart of this site OR being a SR mod is so pointless that all they do is pass the report to an admin for more backlog.
  4. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Excuse me? How is WA a joke (not talking for the others)? WA or what used to be another group till I changed the names have been here since nearly the start and I've had to fight tooth and nail to get recognition with SR with all s✿✿✿ Diego put us thru cause he couldn't understand plain english. It is not my fault or anyone elses with WA that we never were approached in doing reports or appeals outside of our own community and our own tags (tags which I have to still post on these forums to get applied and removed rather than do it myself). So I have no idea why you feel you have the right to call my community a joke in any regards to SR or anything else going on here...hell I try to stay out of the spotlight to avoid drama not to mention I just have hardly no time to do much lately from real life things.

If you wish to continue to discuss WA or me feel free to add me, I will talk about it in adult fashion rather than sit here and argue about it on these forums. You as well as many others here know I'll tell anyone exactly what is on my mind no matter how rude it may be cause I really just don't care and I've developed enough trust with many people since I don't ass kiss and don't care ...I get the job done and say my thoughts no matter what they are.

That is pretty much all I have to say about this subject...only felt I should respond to this one comment since it was directed towards WA.
    SilentReaper(SR) likes this.
  5. The Washout

The Washout New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19658297
    I'm beginning to get the feeling that SteamRep admins are a fiercely insular group. I see consistent claims that there is not enough staff, but no good candidates. Somehow the associated communities seem to find plenty. Is it truly such that standards must be kept so high that almost nobody is accepted? What then is the greater problem? The rare trusted admin becoming a scammer, or a total loss of faith in SteamRep as an accurate and up to date database? Would anybody like to make an assumption about which of these problems will actually result in a higher percentage of scamming instances? Considering the past, a few bad apples will more than likely slip through even if the current model maintains it's obviously rigorous standards.
  6. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    I don't think Aces could ever adjust to your attitude. As much as I dislike you as a person, I know you do your bit and handle reports/appeals well enough and that's all anyone should care about. Either that or he's judging it on the amount of cash trades you play host to. Either way it's irrelevant
  7. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45707254
    I completely agree with Chaos. I think that you and others highlighted the flaws which will always stay with steam rep, it has now become I think an police force with no official authority. Steam rep rather than being looked at as a powerful organisation should be looked at as a public service, and as any other public service would it should be looked at with intense scrutiny. So therefore if steamrep is considered a legitimate public service then it must function sufficiently; no more XenForo, more admins, training programmes etc. steamrep should not be bias in any way either, and should not be considered a place of authority over steam, it should be considered as a guide to help the public. None the less there is a place and a part to play of steam rep that is greatly needed in the community, it does help and I like any other person want to see it flourish and succeed

P.S. If you say that steamrep aren't policing then please watch this video which shows acesgamer discussing his takedown of a scammer group, he describes things such as 'busts' and even had code names for operations... Not police at all eh?
    (This video was made a while ago and some mods and admins that where there when this happened are not there now.)
  8. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    ????

This is not relevant at all. Stop posting.
    Mr. Valentine likes this.
  9. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    It's incredible relevant? You say that steam rep dont have any authority, but then again you act like an undercover cop in this video. At the same time you did do a service though which was to expose the group and help people to not get scammed so that is a good thing.
  10. You Are The One

Steam:
    I'm going to side with Ace on that one TemioMAN, that had nothing to do with SR.
  11. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    He's in a Teamspeak with Steamrep admins, whom which helped him crack down on a team of scammers and get them marked on Steamrep.
  12. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    I was simple commenting on a point that has occurred many times in this discussion.
  13. You Are The One

Steam:
    A lot of comm admins hang out in voip rooms. That does not mean SR endorsed any actions that they took. What they do/did on their own time I dont care about, but dont say SR was behind it, It was not an SR "operation" that's all.
  14. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    That's true, steam rep where not behind it all,however some staff at the time where.
  15. You Are The One

Steam:
    Ty for correcting your statement.
  16. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    Firstly, people have raised issue about tickets in that they want transparency.

As far as the staff issue, I agree we need more staff, I don't believe that the "public loose [sic] so much respect for" us that they aren't willing to help. And quite honestly, the issue is that applicant pool isn't exactly as large as some say (addressed later).

Alright, the issue I see with this is that we're assuming hypotheticals. Yes, we do have a shortage of available good candidates, and while there are many Associated community admins who may have the knowledge, not all of them have the time and interest in being part of the SR staff. It has been suggested before that CAs (community admins) assist with reports and we've always recommended reporting to associate/affiliate communities. But don't mistake eligible candidates with willing candidates. Adding another 15 admins who are all too busy with communities to do reports will not help the situation.

I tried for quite some time to come up with a response to your post but I literally don't get what you're trying to say. I'm guessing you're saying SR is a police force that people don't want and it's therefore going to be powerless, to which I respond, while there may be issues and there is a LOT to work on, I don't believe SR is useless/powerless. It is still a powerful tool and resource for the trading community.

Also, we're not the CIA. I also recommend further proof reading your messages/content before posting. This isn't meant as an insult, it's just difficult to understand.
  17. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    Then I probable haven't put it clear enough. Basically steam rep is perceived and seems like a point of authority like a police force, which it should not be it should be a public service. I did say that I think that there is definitely a place for steam rep. Sorry if I rambled. With regards to the aces video there was two points to that, to back up the point that some steam rep staff I'm the past have acted as (metaphoric) police force. It was also there to show that aces was being hypocritical.
  18. Zemnmez

Zemnmez Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:22818883
    Before we continue: Temioman can you stop double and triple posting and quoting huge amounts of what other people are saying? It's making a mess.
    Backseatsman and n0:name like this.
  19. The Washout

The Washout New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19658297
    @ Eoj

Perhaps then it would be wise to institute some sort of commitment requirement wherein affiliated communities must volunteer to assist with some % of the incoming reports per week. They get the benefit of a centralized database to track and ban the people who would harm their communities, you get the benefit of assistance in the upkeep of that database. Perhaps 2 elected admins from each community? This doesn't seem to me to be an unreasonable solution to the staffing issue.
  20. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    Just to make sure everyone knows:
    Affiliated Communities = Banner
    Associated Communities = Banner/Shield/Tags

In theory, that could work. My personal opinion as a community owner, I think it may be difficult to do and at times all of the admins on my staff are pretty busy to begin with.

The other problem is how it is carried out. There's issues on who gives them direction/instruction (their community or SR) but also on the quality of work put in. Some communities have admins that are better trained with reports than others. There's at least a few Affiliated communities I know of that don't really have the manpower or the qualified personnel free to assist with SR.

As far as Associated communities go, that's something that has been brought up previously, and to my knowledge, there's always been problems with working it out. Not to say it isn't worth another shot.

In my personal opinion, I don't believe the largest problem is the amount of admins, I believe it boils down more to finding better ways to structure the current staff, to fully utilize the current staff and to motivate the current staff. I believe if that was done, you'd see a large increase in the amount of reports done. (And I mean fully finished, reviewed, investigated and tagged, if appropriate). And once that is finished, then I believe more staff should be added.

Also, if you use the @ tag and type their name and wait, it will actually tag them, if you want to do so.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.