1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

[Suggestion] Amend thread on guidelines about phishing with info on how to shut phishing sites down

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by advicebanana, Feb 2, 2014.

1. advicebanana

advicebanana SteamRep Moderator Friend Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:11522747
    Unfortunately the thread showing that Steamrep does not deal with phishing sites is posted still in a great number of threads.
    It does include information on what to do about a Steam account sending phishing links, but nothing useful on how to get the particular phishing site under control.
    Getting phishing sites shut down is still a game of whack-a-mole, but it would probably be favourable if more people became aware of how to take them down. I hope getting more people at shutting down phishing sites can help driving up costs for criminals and thus make phishing less profitable. Here's what I have replied to threads about phishing a couple of times. Please consider something adding like it:

2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Hmm, we have something like that somewhere in guides I think...
  3. Thomas Matthias

Thomas Matthias Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36213483
    SilentReaper(SR) likes this.
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    touched some up in that guide. Didn't incorporate above yet.....
  5. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    Well, anyone have experience with those users who visit a phishing site without logging in any still get hijacked soon after.
    Happened to someone who I knew. He was saying how a friend(Let's call him A) of his got hijacked, and his friend(A) who was a bot at the time, sent him(Let's call him B) a phishing link.
    He(B) never logged in and closed the page ASAP. After like 15 min, He(B) got hijacked.
    He(B) though was smart enough to put anything valuable he had on an alt so he(B) was safe.

Part of the guide should suggest on what you can do if you accidentally logged in or you're really scared.
    If you have an alt account, transfer what you can to the alt. With the new Trade Offers feature, you only need one computer.
    If you have no alt... uh any ideas? A trusting friend would work but if they're not 100% trusting they could screw you.
  6. advicebanana

Steam:
    That's good. If I did not know how yet, that guide would not tell me how to find out a provider's abuse contact info. If I read the thread and got no assistance on that, I might be put off taking down phishing sites already. Also, I would've never found that thread or dreamed of looking for it.
    Could you link it in its current form in each of your replies? Should I keep adding my copypasta?
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    there way too many free hosting sites to go specifically tell how to contact abuse reports. its told in broad lines how to look for them. The section already says "Guides", where else to look? under reports???
  8. advicebanana

Steam:
    As a reply to reports would be quite nice. Best would be in the thread on how to report a profile to Steam. That is not even half the battle.
    You mentioned free hosting sites. Lately phishing sites that are used to clean out people's inventories are mostly actual .com domains where the approach detailed in the thread does not work and really requires a whois lookup.
    If you take the time to link to the guide on how to report a profile on Steam when closing invalid reports, why not just include the extra information about how to deal with a phishing site in the boilerplate response?
  9. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    or users could not be lazy and look it up themselves.