1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Warning: Something's Not Right Here!

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Roudydogg1, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    Is this some kind of new issue that people have been having?

70282581f13d478ade3498b82d0637ad.png
  2. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    I have not got such a notice using the latest IE or FF. My guess a false positive but ill pass it along anyhow.
  3. Knucklejoe

Knucklejoe New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46918739
    No, that's an issue with your malware detector. I use WebRoot and it tells me that SteamRep is not a trusted site as well. You can shut that off by adding SteamRep to your white list. How you do that changes depending on what program you are using.

The only thing you have to worry about here is when someone posts a phishing link in a report and leaves it active. Just don't click on anything that you don't trust.
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Hmm, your browser encountered something on the page of:

http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561197996548232-use-marshazzle-sr-scammer.1231/

And found apparently links on the page with "socialsearch" (I'm not give the full link here to prevent such) in them. I checked everything shown on that page, each and every post, but none contained these links.

That makes me wonder where it came from....
    Possibilities in my mind:
    - Your browser is hijacked, and inserts code/snippets to intercept information from you / the sites you use.
    - If using a proxy, the proxy may insert stuff into your received html code from a site, not every proxy/vpn is set up for your privacy, but for the owners to sandbox/or do other things.
    - Your computer is hacked, and various may occur.
    - It may be on our Steamrep forum site, but its not really related to the topic, but something else, maybe a PM or Alert you recieved?
    - Greasemonkey script/or other plugin in your browser?
    - Too many possible "vectors" such may occur.

I do use Firefox, and such popups sometimes come up on me too on some sites, but I've always been able to find where such links came from by checking the page itself (got some tricks for seeing it without causing harm to my pc). Not knowing means for us that we can't cross those external factors out.

As far as I know, we do not run ads, or anything external, to prevent exactly this.
  5. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    Fantastic, now I can only hope it's a WebRoot issue as I use the same program.

Fantastic, now I can only hope this is a WebRoot issue. Why it's never occurred before...well...here's hoping it's just coincidence.

As do I wonder the same. However, for the sake of less worrisome feelings I am going to hope for something less serious :^)
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    its just a list of things that I tho may be the issue. the given linked scripts in the screenshot do not appear to be linked here on this site. I'd need more information on where/what caused the detection of such on our site to be able to inform Mattie of a problem, so he can fix that if needed, or I adjust a post or w/e.

We're pretty adamant against any malware, so we take such notifications serious. But we need a bit more specific information in this case it seems.
  7. Thomas Matthias

Thomas Matthias Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36213483
    As for Webroot, I do believe that they use BrightCloud in order to provide web reputation feature BUT it does not look like a Webroot pop-up/message.
  8. Knucklejoe

Knucklejoe New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46918739
    No, that message looks like the one that Chrome has. Maybe it's an issue with Chrome?
  9. DARKLY | Jakk

DARKLY | Jakk New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:44479885
    Annihilate your browser, for I am currently on the latest version of Chrome, but have had zero issues with any SteamRep site.

Nofalse.png

I am not certain what Webroot is being used for but I only use three Extensions.

Nofalse2.png

No malware around these parts.