1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Question about attempting to scam.

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Flawlessh, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Flawlessh

Flawlessh New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:26017285
    Quick question about being able to report some1 for attempting to scam.

Recently some1 tried to buy an unusual, stating i had to go first and he would not use a middleman because the middleman will scam him and take his cash. Is this reportable?

Another time some1 wanted to buy an unusual, and agreed to use a middleman. He then tried to fake proof of paying me and said me and the middleman will go to jail for scamming him, and he was threatening us the entire time. Also during the chat, he added some1 else to try to buy an unusual and they tried to use the same middleman. Is this reportable?

Just trying to figure out what attempted scam means, and what isn't enough and what is enough to determine that.
  2. Knucklejoe

Knucklejoe New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46918739
    The middleman shouldn't even see the cash in the first place, assuming they are doing their job right. It doesn't look to be reportable just yet, but I wouldn't go through with this if I were you.
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    The normal MM goes basically like this:

Definition:
    Seller: person with steam items wanting to sell for money
    Buyer: person with money wanting to buy items
    1. Seller and buyer establish a MM to be legit and satisfactory to both.
    2. Seller opens the trade request to the MM, and trades the items to MM.
    3. MM confirms to Buyer he/she received the items.
    4. Buyer transfers money to seller.
    5. Seller checks the money-systems SITE for the transaction (never email), and confirms receiving the money to the MM.
    6. MM opens trade request to the buyer and trades the items to the buyer.
    The MM never touches the money, no matter what. Hence: the MM cannot run with the money of the buyer... the MM never gets that. The MM holds the items till the situation has been resolved. That means, if there is a dispute and difficulties arise, he may sort it out himself, or ask other admins to help determine what is truth or not.

Faking payments with screenshots is a ban-able offence for us. For that is definitely a attempted scam.
    Its however more difficult for the case where he refuses the MM, some ppl are just that ✿✿✿✿✿✿ed sometimes. It there really depends on the flow of the chat etc.

Both cases you can report. Please include screenshots of the trade conversations on steam.
  4. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    I remember being a newbie, and not really trusting anyone, even a middleman.
    So, if someone offered one back then, I would of got scared and declined.
    Middleman's are so hidden. There's so few videos about how middleman works.
    When I was a newbie, and added one, I got a jerk one who said he was in the middle of masterb**ing and not to bother him.
    Not surprised some traders reject these guys.
  5. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    I really wish there was a longer edit time for non-reporting sections.
    Also, wanted to say...even a SR middleman can become a scammer.
    So not much safety to it at all.

(0:30 +)
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Well, seems he was there still a good MM, being honest and all.. :) I can think of 1 or 2 who would be like that.

That is just plain wrong. PeteyM3 had honorary MM status, and he was inactive for a long while before this even happened. Did you even read the comments Thorax/Mattie! wrote on the Reddit?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Dota2Trade/comments/1s2oez/psa_steamrep_adminmiddleman_scammer/cdth1er
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561198000174003-Ξm-pkmn-y-fc-sr-middleman.49954/
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/h-1000keys-w-victims-of-tf2-dota2-scam.50129/

One of the reasons why we are left with a shortage of SR Admins is that the great majority of ppl just won't go all the links and read all there is about a subject, to form a balanced opinion and be able to actually fairly judge by that. Those generally aren't the ones that are yelling and screaming that PeteyM3 was going rogue.

PeteyM3 has been a admin on UHC from early on, and on SourceOP from long before trading even came out. He has been involved early on in SR as a collaborator, but became inactive. Also, if you had read all this, you'd know SR had no qualms in acting upon this, and it has been a very rare issue to SR trustees to deal with, for 99.999% of the time its just impersonators.