1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Clarification on trades involving keys

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by CCsnip, Jun 3, 2014.

1. CCsnip

CCsnip New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:9923984
    So I read about how there's no way to verify keys and etc., but what about a case where the scammer promised a key in exchange for a Steam gift but then never provided the key?
  2. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
  3. CCsnip

CCsnip New User

Steam:
    Wow that was fast :), thanks, I guess I can't even hurt this scammer's rep then.
  4. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:43668349
    Not entirely true, you can still report them on their Steam profiles by going to "More", then "Report Violation" and Valve might take action on them.
  5. Test

Test New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36052170
    Speaking of which, in such a case someone told me a while ago in the past that steam reports don't require screenshot evidence as they are able to check every single chat/trade history.
    Is this correct?
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Steam support can review everything on every account, even if its set private. The chats however between you and another user is however not stored on valve servers but on your local client. The only exception is the pm's send to somebody when offline, those stay on valve till delivery. Does valve have the possibility to log them? Yes. Would we know ? nope.
    Valve never has confirmed or denied this. question is: is there any gain for them, and I don't think there is much. Steam support really does not have the time to go read everything everywhere. They take less then 60 seconds to gauge a steam support ticket and kick a "standard" (copy/paste) reply to it.
    Test and Sjru like this.
  7. Test

Test New User

Steam:
    That's very well explained and i appreciate your answer.In this case screenshots of chat are necessary in phishing links or much like the one case that happened to the op as without them probably there wouldn't be any action.

The chances for them to review the ticket and look over the evidence might not be 100% and as you said we might not know for sure, i usually provide evidence either way and in some cases i've looked over to the respective profile a few days/weeks in the future and he had his privileges blocked and action has been made which made me believe that the evidence was helpful and report was processed.
  8. CCsnip

CCsnip New User

Steam:
    I filed the report with Valve, and though I do have screenshots of the chat I didn't think to include it.
  9. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    The above was on Steam support tickets, not really on the profile reports (what Clive said above). Those are not read normally. Its part of Valve's automation of processes. If say 10 ppl on same day report it for phishing, the account will get locked or something like that. We do not know how these work, or its metrics, and what actions it will exactly do vs what type of reports etc.

We simply do not know the specifics behind it, other then that its for 99% automated, and the remaining 1 % is discussed about if steam support can or not access it and change stuff that it did. The only comment we ever saw from Valve on that is that we should use those instead of Steam Support tickets to report Phishers and Scammers. As for its functioning, what I personally saw on SPUF once was a Valve employee we should use those, for Valve uses them, for "statistics reasons", whatever that may mean.

And to "test" all that to know what happens, no thnx. I do not feel the need to "gimmick" Valve's system of handling stuff. Any post in that regards or its results, info on the system will be deleted. We're not here to bully ppl, or to enable them.
  10. Test

Test New User

Steam:
    Absolutely, and without certain and official information on the subject it's best to keep it this way.I was just curious on the topic, won't go anyway deeper into it.
    I respect Valve's system of handling reports and their judgement, providing required content on a report was my only concern.
  11. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    That's not to say not to report him. While it has a chance of being rejected, it is possible given certain circumstances it could be reviewed. I know there's been a few I've personally seen marked.

But even if it is invalidated or archived, it will be in the public record and can be used as a warning to someone else who might see it.
    SilentReaper(SR) likes this.
  12. CCsnip

CCsnip New User

Steam:
    Well I did the report profile link on their profile. Should I also do the support ticket?
  13. Thomas Matthias

Thomas Matthias Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36213483
    No.

You can report CD Keys/Game code scams to our partner communities if they accept them.