1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Trading potentially scammed/stolen items

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Disdngushd iglo, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Disdngushd iglo

Disdngushd iglo New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:30553433
    Hello, first post here so forgive me if this is in the wrong section or all that.

I havent found a clear answer to this, a guy on cslounge put up a trade for a skin worth 32euros and is asking for around 6 euros less in keys. I started wondering if he wants to quick sell because that is a scammed item or whatever.

My question is, if that item is from a scam trade or stolen (which is probably isnt) and i trade with him and get it can I get "in trouble"? I searched his name and didnt find anything suspicious

His inventory is full of keys and nothing but keys.

Thanks for your time
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Not everyone that "quick sells" is a scammer...this fear mongering is getting out of control. If that is what he wants and that is what you want then make the trade. The idea of a trade is to barter for items or haggle and then you make the deal. You've done the work and he isn't tagged here and appears to be dealing with keys so I wouldn't worry about it.
  3. Disdngushd iglo

Disdngushd iglo New User

Steam:
    True but im also asking in general what happens if the skins are indeed stolen( from a hacked profile) , what happens then?
  4. SIVARTZ

SIVARTZ Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:46928737
    Depends on the circumstances of the scam or w/e. They "Steam" could remove the hijacked items from your backpack.
  5. Disdngushd iglo

Disdngushd iglo New User

Steam:
    Alright thanks for answer, but the scammer would keep the items i traded him for that i guess
  6. SIVARTZ

SIVARTZ Retired Staff

Steam:
    That would be up to Steam. I would assume you would lose your items.
  7. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    I assumed that Steam didnt remove items from inventories
  8. SIVARTZ

SIVARTZ Retired Staff

Steam:
    We assume to much. lol. To be honest I do not know.
    Disdngushd iglo likes this.
  9. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    In hijacking situations, when steam support removes items from a hijacker fence/mule account, they will simply either:
    - Remove ALL items of such accounts.
    - Remove ALL items that where TRADED TO such accounts from first occurrence they found suspicious stuff.
    - Remove Hijacked items.
    And off course variants of these and or combinations of these we do not know about. The above is what I've seen happen.

And that is apart from any trade ban / account lock they'd apply. If its a trade related VAC ban, its a simple wipe of everything.
    SIVARTZ likes this.
  10. Disdngushd iglo

Disdngushd iglo New User

Steam:
    Thats a lot of items being removed lol

Thanks for all the answers, would suck if someone bought hijacked items without knowing and then steam removed all his inventory.
  11. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    It has happened to traders too that bought too many times items from such.

A simple rule to live by is: make sure the item was in possession of the trader for say at least 3-4 weeks.

Average Steam Support reaction time is somewhere between 1 and 2 weeks. If the items where hijacked or w/e, the unsafe period is less then 2 weeks ownership.
  12. Disdngushd iglo

Disdngushd iglo New User

Steam:
    Alright thanks for the info, had no idea this was a possibility, since i cant see when a person got the item, ill judge it by far back its on his inventory ( not really scientific but it should be an indicator)
  13. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    There are backpack sites that keep history for a x period. backpack.tf etc keeps it for a year/number of months etc. But not all backpack sites do all games etc. I'm not really aware of which backpack site does what history etc.
  14. Disdngushd iglo

Disdngushd iglo New User

Steam:
    Something like this needs to happen for csgo items, would be great if it was possible to trace back items and stuff like that, which im sure valve can do, maybe just show previous owners and the such
  15. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Valve won't do that. It has been requested a lot, it simply won't happen. All they'd need to do is allow publicize the trade history to any instead owner only. Problem with that would then be again the steam marked purchases etc.

Also, building a site with history on items isn't cheap, that is a very big database....
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  16. Disdngushd iglo

Disdngushd iglo New User

Steam:
    Yeahh valve could easily solve a lot of problems with trading but i dont see that happening anytime soon, they could just say when the user got that item but nope.

No need for another website to do it then but it all comes down to valve making extremely small changes that would drastically improve things
  17. u.v.bunny

u.v.bunny New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:783808
    You can get a rough idea of how long someone has owned an item by looking at it's current id.

I also have a vague recollection of a site that collected data on how item ids corresponded with dates, don't remember where that was though.
  18. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Problem is, these current ID's aren't linear.
  19. Pacquis

Pacquis New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35235363
    to be honest steam trading is in no way flawed, there's no way to exploit it. as you may know steam has stated many times that they only support trading via their system which is the community market, trade offers, etc.
    and on things being fixed they did add the warning that you will recieve said items after you complete the trade.
    cant get any more obvious

and honestly do you think that the average trader will go bother where the item came from ?,even if steam had that feature implemented most people wouldn't use it.or don't know its even there.
    hell people sometimes dont know how to view inventory history and that thing has been implemented for a while.
  20. FlyingMuppet

FlyingMuppet New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:22631587
    I had a situation in which I traded an item of mine for copies of games which later were revealed to be purchased using a stolen card. However after steam revoked these games, a quick ticket with customer support ended in me getting my item back, so if you lose items due to steam removing them, always get in touch with support as they might give you a refund!

Attached Files:

Pacquis likes this.