1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

"when the monetary value is relatively low."

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by gukingofheart, Oct 8, 2014.

1. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    "SteamRep's policy is to be understanding when an innocent trader makes a mistake or when the monetary value is relatively low. "

Back then SR kept using a Bill's hat as an example which was 8 keys. Now the Bill's are 5, and could easily go 4 or lower.
    I think it might be best to insert an actual price value MIN limit.
    Relative low can really very between traders.

Here's an example of what the rule could be changed to.

"SteamRep's policy is to be understanding when an innocent trader makes a mistake or when the value of the item is at least 8 keys(We're using BP.tf as a reference). It does not matter if you buy it for less! "
  2. AZIMAGE

AZIMAGE New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:47798695
    If the price is mutual then it is fine, correct?

So it really would only have to be if one deceived another on purpose.
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Prices vary, and we're not going to promote use of a single value indication site as being used by us to establish the value.

Bill's hat got unfortunately discoupled from earbuds in price (2 bills was 1 buds), by the wiggle room that painted bills had. Setting the value to a # of keys would mean that we would exclude the bills hat, which we aren't. The pointing to that item was intended to keep promo items (bills, buds and max's) and any unusual within our scope.

Also, the rule has a exception if it was a money trade. Any money trade will get looked into.
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    This is about trading with scammers. not about being scammed.
  5. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    BINGO! You can't use any type of site to reference values. Everyone should know by now not to go with these types of guides and to barter or haggle for items you want vs what the other person wants. I've traded for items that some were to say was very high value but they had something else I wanted which to him was nothing so he may have gotten a hell of a deal. There is nothing wrong with getting "a hell of a deal" if both parties agree upon the trade.

Valve gave you TWO lets count them TWO ways to agree upon a trade...once that is done then that is it as long as that was the agreed upon deal and they know this so they gave TWO ways to agree upon the trade.

If it was up to me I'd do away with all those value/price guides online but it isn't so people just need to use their heads!
  6. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    Why is this not in the FAQS then?
  7. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    It's meant as a broad statement that one can use common sense to determine a stance. You can't add everything under the sun to the FAQ so at some point you gotta use that common sense vs ignore it.
    Hitman Sparky likes this.
  8. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    I just don't see how a cheap promo is common sense here. Also, no clue if there's a cheaper promo then a Bill's hat.
    Going to get the public opinion on this one because I'm completely confused now on what SR common sense means other then asking for every many questions.
  9. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    I think you missed the point I was getting at. Either way SR won't use any site that posts values or estimates of what something could be valued at or worth since none of them are the be all end all for TF2 or other Steam game related items.
    SR is much more known now than it was just 1 year ago, the excuses of players of not knowing are getting old IMO. I've seen many do a trade to get the so called "Awesome Deal" then come here post an appeal to save face or try to use that one time "get out of jail free card" to avoid a tag. Hell, these excuses are getting as bad as the "It was my brother" excuses. :rolleyes:
  10. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Where do you see confusion?

The rule is:
    Our LOWER limit is a Bills hat in TOTAL value in items trading (may be in multiple trades or items), and including any unusual, and any paypal trade. If below that: we are not bothering for the "do not trade with scammers" rule.

So: someone trading for items with items with a scammer, and its low value, like a key for 6 craft hats or w/e, we won't even bother. This lower limit is intended to prevent trolling by scammers etc. (yes, that did happen, and dozens of ppl reported ppl for trading a weapon or w/e with a listed scammer).

Why would a value to the items be of any concern when we want to make sure that certain items are included, and one of their values being used for the lower limit.

What value is really set in stone? none are.
    - Keys or ref? vary from 1.66 ref 4 years ago, to now some 8 ref. Vary also in price in dollars, between 1.50 and 2.30 dollar with traders etc.
    - Unusuals? there are unusuals worth less then a bills. But we wanted to include those anyways.
    - Buds? too high price, and value is volatile, and excluding bills.
    - Max? way too high.

Sure, there are other promo's. But most are either worth a lot more, or just a key and often less. Promo's are promotional items, that are given when prepurchasing games. Some where given retrospective. Buds where given to ppl before trading came out for running TF2 on a Apple computer. There is also the Tux, near worthless as it cannot be traded, and has been harvested like pro's by a LOT of people, near everyone has one. Bills hat was one of the more valued Promo's and the lowest priced one at the time of being 1/2 a bud.

In all the years we have this rule, we never saw any need to change it, as its pretty clear what was intended, and there was not much debate why we had these limits. Back in 2011 this was settled with the then heads of communities of note (SOP, UHC, TF2-T, RAWR, ASBO) by one of our admins.

Sure, our rules are up for debate, this one got settled by asking around with owners/admins of partners and SR admins to limit investment in such reports.

The challenge:
    Come up with a sensible lower limit above which SR would handle reports for trading with scammers.
    - Includes all unusuals
    - Includes all paypal trades.
    - Includes Bills,Buds and max's
    - Settles a lower value that would be a good deterrent for trolltrades/reports.

oh, wait... I see........

a bills.
    Tio José das Vacas likes this.
  11. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    It's a good rule, but not listed in the Faqs. That's all I'm asking. Is at the very least give an example(s) of what you mean by a lower limit.
  12. SIVARTZ

SIVARTZ Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:46928737
    Im sure that SilentReaper will take time to appease you. Most people figure this out on their own. But im sure he can fix it so you understand the trading limits. I mean WTF common sense tells you what limits are if you are a normal trader. I haven't played tf2 in a year and I know that 8.8 ref is equal to a key. 79.2 scrap per key.475 scrap per bills which is the lower limit that we are talking about. Bottom line is that we(SR) refer to a bills as the lower limit no matter the price differential that occurs during your trading experiences. When and if that differential changes Im sure that we will let you know on the main site. www.steamrep.com.
  13. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin: