1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Why is there no official method to report SteamRep Partners / Friends?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by BigMac187, Apr 10, 2015.

1. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32620293
    Hi,

SteamRep has always said that a big part of partnering up with the big communities was to ensure that these communities are doing the right thing but when I ask a SteamRep admin (charlie) via chat how can I report partners for mistreatment I get told that I can't and that I need to speak to Mattie, this is not really suitable as.

A. Mattie has removed me from his friends list for what ever reason so I can't speak to him
    B. Any time I've spoken to Mattie I've always felt he's never really trying to help and is a PR mode so to speak
    C. This is not a transparent method, these issues should be made aware to everyone and not just Mattie

To my issue...

I've had a issue where SourceOP has deleted my 13+ pages of Rep for no viable reason, there are many others with these concerns. I feel like I should be able to report this to SteamRep as they are a partner community but I can't, If SteamRep is going to play the part of the community protectors I should be able to report the partners easier then I could report a individual but that is not the case.

These are just a couple of threads I found on reddit, i'm sure there's more as there's more pages and over my time of trading i've seem many high tier traders have their rep deleted for no given reason. If there was a method of reporting these issues there will no doubt be a long list of this issue and more importantly other community concerns.

http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/1vn9th/some_more_drama_surrounding_the_sourceop_admins/
    https://pay.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/1sxo63/anyone_else_having_problems_with_sourceop_admins/
    http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2trade/comments/1czcwo/q_banned_from_sourceop_for_buying_from_obvious/
    http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2trade/comments/1d1a8s/q_sourceop_ban_follow_up_butane_wont_unban_me_so/
    http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2trade/comments/1ianbs/q_should_i_attempt_to_fight_a_sourceop_ban_and_if/

From what I understand Butane was a previous SteamRep admin and many partners sites have SteamRep a representation, this to me is a massive conflict of interest as once a community has a partner status and is working with SteamRep it's in the best interest of SteamRep for them no to have issues out in the open, which is why I feel could be a reason there is no official process.

TLDR - SteamRep doesn't have an official process to report this partner sites - If your mistreated by one of these communities there's nothing you can do - There is a big conflict of interest with having community partners working with steamrep.
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Communities are allowed to ban, block or disregard whomever they wish on their own property at any time. The only thing we can't do is abuse the system that ties into SR in anyway such as having tags applied without proper evidence and so on. So if you are banned on SOP then ohh well...live with it and go some where else. I've banned users from my community just because I didn't care for their attitude and would do it again in a New York minute.

Reference also:
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-76561198025506314-tf2-team-fortress-2-items.89082/
  3. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    Yes I agree with that they can ban who they want when they want but when it comes to partner status and acting in the best interest of the community then SteamRep can't say that they are partnering up for the good of the community in once voice and then not question their partners practices such as deleting rep threads in another voice.

And this concern is not just ban related there are other possible issues, as an example if a partner had a trade bot and then decided to start short changing customers then there still is no official way to report this.
  4. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Communities can ban their users for whatever they see fit, If we had a rule that anyone who posts "YOLO" gets banned, then so be it. SR does NOT dictate how partner comms manage their communities outside of SR policy. If a user is banned from SOP, their rep on our site is now none/zero/nada. You should read said rules/terms of such sites before you decide to use them. This includes, but is not limited to:
    and
    edit: and what Dick said.

tldr; butthurtane

edit edit: you should actually read those threads before thinking they somehow help your argument, they dont.
  5. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    The two replies so far highlights my conflict of interest points, where you have partner admins (one retired) responding to questions about why there's is no official process to report these communities.
  6. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    I didn't intend to highlight anything... I just told you how it is with regards to supposed conflict you have with SOP or any other partner community NOT SR.
  7. You Are The One

Steam:
    What is it then you would like to report?
  8. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    My issue is that there is no official outlet for the community to report mispractices of SteamRep partners to SteamRep being wrong full bans or others issues and I get responses from two community partners saying we can ban who we want, that is not my issue... my issue is that there is no official place for me to make a complaint about this issue or other issues with current or future abuse by SteamRep partners.... do you think there should be an official place for me to be able to make a complaint or not?
  9. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    That there is no official place for me to report my concerns with partner communities.
  10. You Are The One

Steam:
    You are talking/posting to SR staff right now in the general section, is that not sufficient?
  11. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    I mainly think Horse was saying that comms can ban whomever they want on their own servers personally. SR doesn't care about bans made by comms unless it results in bans on SR. Tbh if you have problems with a partner community that is giving people scammer tags or caution tags without reason, or has a ton of admins that are doing alot of bad things that you think SR would take action against, you can just make a thread in the general discussions. (unless I'm wrong about that in which case feel free to correct me)
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  12. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    agreed.... post whatever issue you have here. We've not removed or deleted the thread cause, well its pretty official so speak your peace.
  13. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    No, if multiple people had issues with your community over a spam of time then you replying to this isn't going to highlight your ongoing issues.
  14. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    Comments have been deleted, i'm not sure who has the power to do so but it's happened. I had to create a thread in the general board and others with say a similar issue as myself or other similar issues don't have the option to look at the partner profile and see current issues as they would if it was an official process.
  15. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    Having scattered issues in the general board isn't the same as having an official dedicated to report things.
  16. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    I've not seen anything deleted...closed maybe and then moved to archive. Do you have a legit reason to say a Partner Community is doing something against SR policy as in how it utilizes tags and appeals or is this just something against how a community has cut you off from its services?
  17. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    I've had comments deleted on my SR Report, it was a friend just posting well wishes... nothing in it and it didn't aid or takeaway from the report but it got deleted and if that got deleted then it shows that it's possible for other posts to be deleted... which has also been reported by other users, there was a reddit thread about a case I can look to dig up.

I have my issue with the deletion of my rep thread, I understand that communities can keep and delete who they want but I feel that when SteamRep is partnering up with a group and the said group is deleting rep thread and not being transparent into why they are deleted then this has a big effect on the community. If SteamRep is partnering up with groups to protect the community then issues like this should be reportable and then discussed between SteamRep and the Partners.

My issue has more highlighted to me the flaws within SteamRep and the partners and a big issue i see is that there's no means for a community member to report mistreatment being a ban or otherwise.
  18. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    So you are having an issue with SOP deleting your rep thread. Remember what YATO said about the SourceOP policy?
    A rep thread over there or anywhere has nothing to do with what SteamRep is all about. SteamRep has nothing to do with the "rep" that others acquire on 3rd party sites or partner sites.

As I said in my first reply.. a community be it a partner of SR or not can ban you, remove you, delete you, remove anything to do with you, created by you or touched by you at any time without any reason as they/WE own those services and SR has no say so over that and will never get involved with how a community runs its shop. It would be no different than Walmart trying to tell Target how to run its store and secure its Credit Card system....wait. :D
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  19. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    As i said I understand that they can delete who they want, my issue is that it's not reportable in an official method.

Wallmart doesn't act as a watchdog so to speak for Target so that analogy doesn't make sense in this scenario.

But to put forward an analogy that does make sense in this scenario, Target in Australia is partnered up with Fair Trading who is a watchdog so to speak which is what SteamRep is acting as. Now if you had an issue with Target you can then report it Fair Trading, Fair Trading will then look over it in an official manner, If need be then get in contact with with Target and ask them what's the go here and look to work out a resolution.

Now SteamRep is acting as a Watchdog but they have no official channels for the community to highlight issues.

My issue being relevant or not (I feel a partner deleting rep threads should be relevant though) doesn't take away from the previous statement.

Like a simple yes or no question for you, do you think there should be an official process where users should be able to highlight concerns with SteamRep Partners?
  20. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    First part... deleting a rep thread on SOP or any other community is NOT relevant to SR.
    Second part... already is a official method - you take it up with that Partner Community you have a problem with, not bring it here.