1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Why is there no official method to report SteamRep Partners / Friends?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by BigMac187, Apr 10, 2015.

1. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32620293
    No I am saying there should be an official method to report Partner Community issues within SteamRep so no there isn't already an official method.

But like i said, this is all highlight my issue of conflict of interest, as it's not ideal for partners to have an official means of highlighting issues against themselves in SteamRep and it's evident here that your trying to detour from that discussion. Bringing my previous analogy back if Target had customer complaints and it was then sent to Fair Trading for feedback then Target employees and friends of Target shouldn't have any input in these discussion in the SteamRep model they do.... this is a big conflict of interest.
  2. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    Everyone has a right to defend themselves. If you wanted to discuss FoG for instance, and you posted it in the general discussions, not only would SR admins see it, but so would I, and as a FoG admin I'd be able to address your concerns with FoG and try and come to an understanding, through a conversation, not only that but an SR admin would see it, alongside other communities, and would be able to take action. Plus a lot of the threads in a section about reporting SR partner comms would be people complaining about bans that they got.

Also if they ever did implement a section for this, because of the way SR functions, the reports would most likely be open for the public to view and comment on just like the scammer reports and appeals.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  3. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    I understand that with FoG having a civil and reasonable discussion where you look at my concerns could be possible, but in the case of SOP with a ban there is no method of communication, I honestly don't know why my Rep has been deleted.... and with Butane he is not known to be the type to discuss things civilly, he is known to troll and abuse people.

There's admins here saying openly we can ban for what ever reasons we like, what if one of those reasons was for race, gender or color? Not that I have seen that but if it was to occur I will think that it makes sense for me to be able to report this issue to SteamRep as to show what the partners who are using their name are doing and for them to decide if they want to continue their partnership.

I don't see why there's should be a concern with these cases being open and viewable to the public, the whole point of it is to remain transparent where now it's not.
  4. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Go tell any other SR partner community that SR decides what they can and cannot put on their site and post back the results of what those community owners say. Also explain to them how SR overrules their sites ToS that you, the user, specifically agreed to by using the site to begin with.
    Roudydogg1 and WarNev3rChanges like this.
  5. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Scam reports are supposed to be evidence only. No discussion, no arguing, no "+rep definitely a scammer", no "I hope he gets marked", no passing judgement. When people post off-topic like that, it tends to drag the report out for several pages, making the report take substantially longer for the admin to review it. As such, sometimes moderators or admins delete posts that contain no evidence, to save time for the tagging admin. They also sometimes issue warnings for such posts.

SteamRep doesn't have rep threads. We have scam reports, and we don't delete those.

SourceOP is not SteamRep, even if some of their admins are also SteamRep admins. Different communities have different rules, and Butane has followed SteamRep's rules to the letter as they pertain to reports and appeals, while also following and upholding SourceOP's rules (and practices) on SourceOP's forums and servers, which are notoriously more strict than SteamRep's. He was also a SteamRep admin, and kept in line with SteamRep's policies. Tags and SourceOP moderation/bans are completely unrelated, and I don't understand why you consider this a conflict of interest.

If you have evidence of SourceOP admins involved in scamming or fraud, please read our investigative policy and fill out a report like you would anyone else; I guarantee someone will take notice. If it's a SteamRep admin, send a private message to Mattie or a different SteamRep admin who you aren't accusing.

SteamRep does not micromanage how our partner communities are run, we only dictate what is or isn't acceptable to issue scammer/caution tags for. If the community wishes to ban you for renaming your weapon to something from My Little Pony, or randomly pick 3 reputation threads to remove each day, it is their servers and it's well within their right to do so. Similarly, if they decide not to uphold content (including a reputation thread) submitted by you, it's their right to remove/close it. If you don't like SourceOP, nobody is forcing you to use it. Find another partner community to host your reputation thread.
  6. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    Your words pretty much say it al, SteamRep isn't working as intended and instead has created an elitist boys club so to speak.

SteamRep was once and should be looking at the way partners conduct their business and they should be listening to the concerns of the community and looking to come to a resolution to get things sorted, and if you don't agree and are acting against the community then they should remove their partnership, their name should be attached to communities they feel are working in the best interest of the community. If not for this then what is the benefit for the community to have SteamRep partner up with these communities.

Instead in the current climax it's the opposite, SteamRep has representation from these communities so in turn instead of SteamRep acting as a watchdog for the community it has turned into a boys club where these communities decide on how everything is governed, ... if you don't like me for what ever reason you can ban me and then forward your ban onto OutPost and who ever else is a part of your allegiance.
  7. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  8. You Are The One

Steam:
    If its not scam related, they dont care you are butthurt about a community that banned you, nor should they.
  9. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    A lot of the stuff in that corrupt SR reddit thread was a load of BS. Mattie was talking to Bob about not giving a user with a caution tag the position of head admin, when that community was on the cusp of joining the Friends of SR scheme. Also the stuff about evidence being deleted, according to Mattie (from what I remember I read it ages ago) it didn't hold much relevance to the report.

But yeah, if you have any issues with a partner comm, you can just make a thread in general discussions, that way an admin will definitely see it. Although it depends on the issue as anything that doesn't affect SR would be pointless to make a thread about, so generally only make threads if an admin is committing acts of fraud or you have issues with how certain partner comms are issuing tags.
  10. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    That's not my issue, my issue is that the community can't report issues that may or may not be scam related. I'm not going to get unbanned and in all honesty belieb it or not being SourceOP banned hasn't affected me at all, have a look at the year before you banned me and see how many posts I had made on your site and see how many people I had asked to rep me... also have a look at how many trades I had made, I've pretty much cut back on my trading in the last year and for good reason where before that I had from memory 5k+ on SOP.

As an example Mattie voiced his concerns and rightfully so that he doesn't feel like D0 should be a PPM head admin and with good reasoning, I feel that the community should be able to voice their concerns, some might be incorrect, some might be correct but having an official means to report issues allows the community to highlight their issues to SteamRep which SteamRep (ideally minus the partners) can then look into.

Another example was when SourceOP requested everyone change their password, I'm not sure what the reasoning was for this and I'm not saying that it was a case of you trying to steam passwords... but the community had concerns about this and threads were popping up everywhere, now if the the community had concerns and you weren't responding to these concerns then having an official process where their concerns could be voiced on the watchdog website could be ideal.
  11. You Are The One

Steam:
    Good thing your ban at SOP was not scam related then and you dont have to post on SR crying about it.

First, can you clarify what you mean/meant by "trying to steam passwords" ?
    Next, not a single post/thread/email was ever sent/posted on SOP regarding reasons for any password change.
    You are really reaching in the bottom of the barrel now.
  12. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    Screenshot of deleted post attached, for reference. No evidence removed, just off-topic ranting that had no place in a scam report. See my above post about evidence-only in reports.
    This is still open? I did all of the work for everyone for this investigation, was given no credit for it on his page and not even given a simple acknowledgement from SR of any kind? http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198060561462 Do the current SR staff do anything other than hinder reports by throwing around their elitism now? I acknowledge that this post will be deleted because SR's controlled by facist people nowadays, but surely one of you must be somewhat aware that, for example, when Eoj interferred in this thread and stopped [F2P] Lone Knight's swear-posts (filled with promises of being unaware), he actually completely hindered this report after I had manipulated the accused into an emotional state where he was more divulging than he would've otherwise been. Quite frankly, that was a stupid decision by an SR moderator to halt the conversation purely for the sake of letting everyone know that he's got SR moderator power.
    This is what you feel SteamRep's role should be. As an admin, I disagree, and I suspect many other admins will as well. For the record, I am not affiliated with any of SteamRep's partner communities in any capacity, only SteamRep itself.
    1. We are protecting the community from fraud, not policing how other communities run their own servers. Our scope ends there. You don't like how SourceOP is run? Don't use it.
    2. This is not abuse. It's their site, their server, and their community. We don't tell people who they can or can't ban, or why. If they decide they don't want someone around, then they don't have to put up with it. Unless they're marking you as a scammer in our database, they don't have to get our permission to remove you.
    3. If they had admins with scammer/caution tags, that would be another matter (see below), but being a bunch of meanie-pants has nothing to do with our endorsement. Especially if that someone broke their rules.
    4. In my personal opinion, partner communities are what make SteamRep what it is. They are the communities which choose to trust us, and our track record. They should absolutely have a voice in how we run things, that's how a partnership works. I'm only disappointed more partner community admins aren't active in the private discussion forums we have set up for them, but we're fortunate to have admins and moderators who also volunteer with partner trading communities. Although many of them do not get along with eachother, it's inspirational to me they still manage to stand in unison with us.
    Conversation attached for reference. As I said above, SteamRep is concerned about protecting the community from fraud, not from mean admins. Bobsplosion appointed a head admin with a track record of fraud (hence the CAUTION tag), which contrary to your banning sob story, is something we are concerned about, and something we received a lot of private messages about from concerned members of the community. PPM was up for consideration for friend and eventually partner status on SteamRep, meaning they'd not only be trusted and endorsed by us, but also have the ability to issue scammer tags. Mattie expressed his concerns to Bobsplosion, who ultimately retracted his offer of head admin. As for how PPM chooses to run their community, we will not intervene; if they want to ban you from their servers and delete your forum posts because you don't like kittens, that's their choice.

Attached Files:

SilentReaper(SR) likes this.
  13. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    Obviously it was a typo and I meant to say steal, but when SourceOP had requested it's users to change their password without giving reasoning into why then people had concerns. Many because they didn't trust you, just have a read through the Reddit threads about you and your website and you'll see there's a lot of community concerns.

This was an old thread that got locked... where Scorpion who was a close alliance of yours had messaged AsianSwag saying he knew he was an alt due to similarities in passwords, obviously this is very suspect and is something that SteamRep should know about but with they way things are setup it was locked and shutdown pretty quickly. http://forums.sourceop.com/threads/86442-nvm

I can't say I saved any of the password reset concerns but they were around, your name and trust isn't really a thing people believe go together, just look at the reddit posts so people naturally questioned it when you were requesting them to change their password, like i said there could be nothing in it, but cases like this are the ones that will benefit from having a process where you can outline partner concerns.

But yeah discredit what you want but I really don't need to try and justify there should be a way to report concerns with partners, it simply should be there.
  14. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    Websites make you change passwords all the time. Sometimes because of password expiration policies. Sometimes because the website's software was upgraded. Sometimes because the database was compromised (usually comes with an announcement). Most modern and properly run websites will have your password hashed and salted, so even server owners can't look up someone's password, but that doesn't stop them from running scripts that check for unsafe things like setting a password to your username, overly common username, or multiple users with the same password set. And you shouldn't be using the same password on their site as you use for Steam anyway. So... why are you concerned about having to change your password on SourceOP's forums?

Butane has the reputation of a flaming a✿✿✿✿✿✿, but that doesn't make him a dishonest or stealing a✿✿✿✿✿✿. In my experience, and in the experience of other admins here who have been around a lot longer than me, he has the honesty and integrity of a SteamRep admin, which is pretty hard to find.
  15. You Are The One

Steam:
    Originally posted Nov 22, 2011, 06:20 AM
    And no, Scorp was never in any capacity in "close alliance" with me or anything that could be considered similar. In addition, SOP itself is NOT mentioned whatsoever, no context to what he was talking about or is referring to is provided, that is you dipping into the bottom of the barrel again.
  16. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    Then why did you have it locked? If he was not talking about SourceOP then who was he talking about? You obviously don't know but there's a lot of smoke in that thread which you just shut down.

But yeah this is getting besides the point, my issue is that for the good of the community there should be a centralized place where people could outline concerns with the SteamRep partners:

For SourceOP a concern is that your deleting reputation, with no reason given... yes your in your right to do so but it is still a community concern and I think the community should be aware of this and that SteamRep should question keeping partners that feel like they have the right to delete reputation.
  17. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    Lava, you speak like everyone is smart and no one can be taken advantage of, my concern is that not everyone is smart and not everyone uses different passwords so there's room for exploitation here.

You mention how much you trust Butane and how he has show to admins that he is legit, yet you ignore the end users who say that he has mistreated them, before he deletes it have a look at his steamrep profile and see how he calls someone a f✿✿✿✿✿✿ scammer after that person asked if he retired, an innocent question with a heated response, now have a look at the persons SteamRep and that person has no tags. I'm not going to take your word for it and I'm going to look at his actions which come across as hot headed. He bans and then doesn't factor in that he could have been wrong and doesn't seem to employ an appeals process, if so I can find it and can't post since i'm banned.

Exploitations are everywhere, so you need to be cautious... people always report being highjacked and not clicking links.

Mattie has a famous case of posting a Reddit method of being 100 percent say from highjackers and then got highjacked in retaliation. Rob who I'm not sure if you know but Butaine would know was hailed as the most trusty person in the community, he was on a level above all in regards to how much he was trusted but temptation got to him. So I'm saying you should be cautious and not be blinded and feel like everyone especially those with power are free from flaws.
  18. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    safe*
  19. You Are The One

Steam:
    Its a completely unfounded accusation without a single tingling of supporting evidence, therefor, it had no place on SOP. Did you even consider he was staff at another community but not at SOP?
    Yes, I know.
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/...-steamrep-partners-friends.97426/#post-268585
    They are fully informed.
    /implying I am free from flaws. /implying I am another Rob.

edit: correction: I actually dont know if Scorp was an admin at anyother comm.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  20. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    He was a well connected trader with fingers in many pots, he was a trusted seller on your controversial list,... so was beefntators who at the time didn't even come close to qualifying for your main criteria which was a 50 sellers rep, I remember me and many others in the community brought this us and ignored us, we had concerns that you were putting people in a power of trust who had not earned the community trust, this is just some extra evidence of this "Boys Club" you've always had. These are things I've forgotten but the more you talk the more worms that spill.

Looking at your rules I seen and remember another one... -Added 02/07/2012 and effective immediately, Must not have poor behavior on the forums.

That was added because of me, when I going to get the amount of vouches required to be an admin but I had spoken out against an "Trusted Seller" who was trying to sell earbuds for $50, when they were at $25, that admin was later removed due to community backlash.

So to say that I'm only being vocal because I am "butthurt" because of my circumstances is very incorrect, read through my 5k posts on SOP and you'll see I've always been pro community and even when I am in a good rep place I've risked it by speaking out against the hierarchy and speaking out.