1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Can we get more information regarding some markings?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by BigMac187, Apr 21, 2015.

1. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32620293
    I've recently highlighted various issues and I feel due to the fact that I highlighted many issues that specific concerns were not answered, I thought rather than post many issues in one thread I'll highlight them in different threads.

Question for SteamRep, Is it possible to give us more details about specific bans? I've noticed some people have cautions and ban without giving specific reasons, Is it possible to make these reasoning public for transparency?
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    If information is lacking on a account, you can ask about the specific account here. But don't be surprised if you then get linked to something that was easily findable.

Also, alts won't get notes, they got marked for being a alt of a offending account.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  3. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    Thanks for the reply, I was told previously I wasn't entitled to that information and that I should get a partner to dig it up for me but if I can request it here and get a reply from SR I'm happy with that.
  4. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    I see that you have some doubts about some FoG tags. I'm open to share any public information about the ban with you. Just remember that we have our private notes and do a lot of research before actually tag, just like SR.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  5. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    What information is available depends on the case. Sometimes we use private tools to find alt accounts, which we don't discuss in public because it would help scammers avoid detection of their alt accounts. Sometimes evidence is hidden because it contains private information (e.g. bank screenshots), and such things stay hidden for good reason. As for getting information from partners, that's absolutely the way to go if it's a partner tag. Our partners can make mistakes, but they're trusted for a reason, so you should absolutely start with them to give them a fair chance to address the decision. If there's a clear case of abuse, with tags, then the discussion board will work just fine for "reporting" them.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  6. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    Thanks, I appreciate that.

My concerns with F-O-Gs was more of a process issue then an issue with 1 individual case... I seen that there was a good amount of high tier traders being marked on SteamRep as scammers from F-O-G where they did not scam but they had traded with a marked scammer many of which was a first time offense. SteamRep had 1 set of rules where there was a caution though F-O-G seemed to have been bypassing that.

I think F-O-G was looking at these cases and were looking to see if the person in question had known that the person that they traded with was marked person, if it was deemed that they did know then they would receive a scammer tag but only if the trade was to be at a certain value, I had seem one case where there was a trade and the F-O-G admin wasn't able to get in contact with the accused and tagged them because they couldn't get in contact with them, what if the person was away and was innocent? I don't think it's fair that that person would have to wait for an appeals process. I just think it's all pretty clouded, what value is the value where it's deemed that this person could be listed as a scammer? does what they paid have any baring on this? I also personally don't think it's fair to label people as scammers who aren't scammers but that's another topic.
  7. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    SR does not label users scammers and has long since moved away from that as its not always reflective of the actual offense, they label them as banned if they commit a bannable offense as per SR policy.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  8. Tio José das Vacas

SteamRep Admin:
    We do our research, by order:
    -See what items where presented in the report and what is the value of them;
    -Conclude if the user traded knowingly or not knowingly with a marked scammer- if it was an obvious alt of scammer we see why did he ignored such signs;
    -Check if he already got a warning from a partner community or SR;
    -Have a chat with the accused , if necessary;
    -Provide a verdict.
    (of course he have to be sure he traded with a scammer)
    This is a bit simple, sometimes we do more re search of course. This reports take a lot of time and believe me we don't want to lose more in appeals.
    We mainly tag people that traded knowingly with a scammer/scammer alt(obvious), people that don't care if he was marked or not- just want to make profit, people that already got warned about a specific alt or to not trade with marked scammer , people that traded via paypal/webmoney/etc with a scammer, people that committed a enormous value trade with a scammer,etc...

This are the main ones that we tag for and our basic procedures. If I overlooked any procedure please add them @n0:name , @Ninja Otter With A Taco , @[FoG] Downie
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  9. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    That makes more sense, sadly though people who have traded with a scammer (First time offense as per these F-O-G cases) are getting the same punishment as a person who has committed say a chargeback.
  10. Tio José das Vacas

SteamRep Admin:
    Feel free to create a thread on FoG giving examples and I will do my best to answer.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  11. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    Thanks, I think this issue is more of a SteamRep issue as their rules state that you can get a caution for a 1st time ban and nothing in the rules say that you can receive a full tag yet people are getting full tags on their website. I think SteamRep either needs to update the rules or let FoG know that they shouldn't be giving full tags for 1st time issues.
  12. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    These are the SteamRep rules, according to this FoG really shouldn't be giving full tags regardless of what the person is question has said or admitted.

-------------

What are the penalties for trading or buying from BANNED scammers or obvious scammer alts?

If you knowingly trade with banned profiles or obvious scammer alt accounts (with extremely low hours), you are putting your reputation at risk. SteamRep's policy is to be understanding when an innocent trader makes a mistake or when the monetary value is relatively low. Yet, we cannot encourage scammers to profit from their theft.
    • New traders: New traders who are unaware of SteamRep will not receive penalties to their reputations, but will receive a one-time warning.
    • First offense:
      • Item/Game trades: You will receive a one-time warning for any high-value item or game trade with a BANNED account or an obvious scammer alternate account. (This warning will be a temporary CAUTION tag that will be removed when you contact SteamRep admins.)
      • Cash trades: You will receive a CAUTION reputation tag for cash exchanges for high-value items with a banned scammer or obvious alternate scammer acount. Helping scammers profit is not something we can encourage.
  13. You Are The One

Steam:
    FoG Policy is NOT SR policy. Partner comms are given leeway when it comes to their own taggings and things they tag for. Some things SR simply does not mark for is completely acceptable for comms to mark for (vice versa as well) this goes for both reports and appeals. Please dont try to pass off SR policy as FoG policy. Also, in some cases, going right to a banned tag is completely justified.

edit: not affiliated/dont even have a FoG account.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  14. Tio José das Vacas

SteamRep Admin:
    You're forgetting one thing. If the user trades knowingly with a scammer, doesn't mind profiting with a scammer and gives him profit, it's a strait up Tag. I also think you should read alI wrote and the SR policy again. Feel free to add me or to make a thread about it on FoG using cases and concrete arguments.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  15. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    So if the same case was reported to SteamRep the it would have receive a caution but if it was reported to F-O-G then it could be full tag? It seems a bit messy / inconsistent. Where based on where something was reported someone could be banned or not banned on backpack.tf yet they did the same thing.
  16. Tio José das Vacas

SteamRep Admin:
    Again I need to see actual cases to talk about it.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  17. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    I posted Mattie a bunch I'll try to find them:

but as an example.

If a user trades for lets say a Burning Team Captain and the person who owns the Team Captain is marked.

You then add the user and say "Hey did you know he was marked" the user says yes.

It was that persons first offense.

Will you put through a full mark for that person?
  18. Tio José das Vacas

SteamRep Admin:
    Usually trading on that Value you know a thing or two about SR. If the user knew he was marked and made the trade, The accused would receive a Full Tag, since he knew he was marked and it was a huge value trade.

Read SR policy again, you will see what happens if you trade knowingly with a marked scammer.

PS: Keep in mind that I'm talking for FoG. In SR I'm a moderator I only gather evidence.
  19. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    According to SR policy you receive a caution and not a full ban, this is my question.. why isn't the policy updated to reflect that you can receive a full ban on your first offense. I'm sure it's not that hard to update the HTML in the FAQs, but yeah this is more of a question for SteamRep i guess.
  20. You Are The One

Steam:
    It does say, you cant read, that's all.
    Source http://forums.steamrep.com/pages/faq/
    Roudydogg1 and Lava like this.