1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Can we get more information regarding some markings?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by BigMac187, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    How would you prevent a case of where we give a list of required evidence, such as: For PayPal cases, we must have A, B, C and D. Then of one of those many individuals, or one of their friends they mention it to, starts PayPal scamming, making sure to prevent screenshots or situations of A, B, C and D? So, they know we must have A, so they instead find a way to communicate it through Skype or a different method. The largest problem with giving a clear checklist to people we don't trust, is that it can be abused very easily. What would be your solution to that?
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  2. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    Honestly, on a slightly different note, I don't think there is a solution to this whole thing. People choose to use SteamRep, if they are unhappy with wait times... So be it, they chose to post here, no one is forcing them at all; go to a partner community instead.

Doing what you said above by giving that sort of access to people is just plain dumb, it defeats the whole purpose of this website. I honestly can't be bothered going into why as it should be a given, let me know if I need to...
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  3. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    Im sorry, I know I promised myself I'd leave and not ingage the troll anymore, but looking back I found something that just irked me in all the wrong ways 100x over, and I felt I had no other option for my personal satisfaction but to correct the below quote with another one of factual orign.

And the people who claim such quite simply seem to be overestimating the simplicity of people working on reports. Adding this "Jr admin" (it would be a JR Mod, if anything...) suggestion -in my research based opinion - just doesn't logically work with what work goes into doing stuff.
    Again, I quote an admin who said it right"

/thread (for me, anyway)
  4. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:
    I will agree with @SilentReaper(SR), I've been working since 8 AM (now nearly 5 PM) on a few of these reports, some of them with 8+ alts.
    Hitman Sparky and Roudydogg1 like this.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    lol, that comment was 5 months ago, we have now:

26000 reports (7000 more in 5 months, which is 7000/(5x30)= 47 per day on average)
    889 Appeals (89 more or so in five months)

Recalculating:
    26000x1 + 890x3=28670 hours / 40 = 717 working weeks / 52= 13.78 years of work now for 1 person to go thru.

I don't have numbers of how many reports where handled. I quicly checked how many appeals have been archived in that time... 400 appeals have been archived, majority of them was misfiled (dupe, not banned, not banned here etc).
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  6. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32620293
    I don't understand how they can prevent screenshots, and I'm sure if someone really wanted to know what screenshots are required for a PayPal scenario they will just look into previous cases and look for the requested screenshots. I also don't see how it's so hard to trust people who have good reputation with such information as for a PayPal chargeback case to more forward we need these certain screenshots.

I have provided what I feel is a solution to cut down many cases and save the mods a lot of time but it just sounds like your trying to divert the topic somewhere else. What I mentioned was how you can add a LVL 1 to quickly clean up these cases with no evidence, it's a simple and clean process but it then gets diverted into another discussion.....alt check and checking for lies is beyond the point of what I had mentioned. You say your open for discussion but it doesn't seem like you are.

And that's your problem SR, you have just highlighted how many hours of work there is for a single person to go through... get more people involved and then you can cut down the avg hours.
  7. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:
    People already try to use Steam Voice to avoid evidence, there's plenty of other methods, people can try. And while it may be possible to ascertain a general rule, having access to a clear cut list is certainly possible to abuse.

Firstly, it's hard to trust people because they frequently show they can abuse their powers. I'd put forward that the entirety of the current SR staff has an extremely high amount of reputation, but you and others have said that we're a part of a corrupt organization, if you're calling our judgement as possible corruption, why isn't it permissible that we have concerns with those you may not have as much reputation?

I'm pointing out issues with your suggestion, that's discussion. To assert your suggestion is prefect would be false. I can see its merits, but suggestions aren't just born and implemented, they go through discussion and break down. And it's not a simple or clean process, nothing is when it comes to reports of this nature and this magnitude.

True, but how many people are willing to help with those? I am trying to have a discussion with you and you've ignored many of my points and questions. You say that you want to suggest, but just repeating the same idea without taking constructive criticism is hardly having a discussion. Another issue entirely is where are these people that you say can help? You have quoted us saying that we can't lower our standards, and you said that there's plenty of high reputation traders that could help. Where? Why haven't they applied for Moderator? If there are so many educated, reputable and able individuals, why are there so few applications, why so few people involved in suggestions and discussions? I'm not diverting your topic somewhere else, I'm bringing your idea into the realm we face.
    SilentReaper(SR) and Roudydogg1 like this.
  8. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    You don't give them the level of access in which they could abuse it and as I mentioned these people could have 10 + pages of rep

I see a lot of good people that have applied for mods, many with a lot of rep, if there was a clear path where they start off at lvl 1 where they perform functions that don't require the perfect reputation and the impacts of them going rogue is minimal to the community then this can be used to asses them and their commitment to the cause.
  9. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:
    What I'm trying to say is that it's hard to find a level that can't be abused in some way or another, and I suppose you are correct, that it would be nice if we could find a level that isn't abusable. Perhaps people willing to just privately review threads and make recommendations, although that would also require them to have a great load of time, and wouldn't have much 'glory'.

Not opposed to that, just would require finding a Level 1 that works, or training these people for Mod.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  10. Penguin The Fluffy

Penguin The Fluffy Articus Birdicus Defenderus Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:10455403
    What you think are good qualified people are not always the case. There is a lot more to it than being a nice guy. You have to have the proper mindset to do the job properly. Pages of trading rep do not translate into a person being able to perform a task.

What you are looking at here at SteamRep by no means is an entry level position. Even if we made a lvl 1 position it would not be an "entry level" position. Not to mention the process of developing an lvl 1 starting point and what meaningless tasks could be assigned to them, to "train them" and build trust, would do nothing more than generate more work for the entire staff.

Mainly because it would be New LVL 1 person A does whatever task, that task has to then be managed by a mod B, then that has to pass through an admin C. Generating more work is counter-productive to getting work done.

What we need are people that have experience in community management, are familiar with Steam Trading, and are able to comprehend and accurately identify the different types of fraud that can happen within Steam Trading. While all at the same time being able to do that without personal gain expected from it.

THAT is the entry level.

With the nature of what is dealt with here, there is no such thing as not trying to strive for a perfect reputation.

If the person isn't going to strive for a perfect reputation and exercise extreme caution at all times with every trade they do and every fraud related interaction they have. Then why apply?

To end this everything I have said is my own personal views and may or may not conflict with SteamRep's views and are not to be interpreted as SteamRep's. These are my views and my views alone.
    Hitman Sparky and Roudydogg1 like this.
  11. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    Who said that they aren't stiving for a perfect reputation? your just not giving them the opportunity and partners of yours are deleting them. You can't in one hand value reputation and in the other hand support it being deleted.

That is not what I am saying though, I am saying that there are functions you can give people to help out with the work load and there doesn't need to be concerns of corruption between them and the functions they are performing don't have the risks involved that should outweigh the benefits out of their support.