1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Is this markable?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by FireballNitro, May 19, 2015.

1. FireballNitro

FireballNitro New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:57327886
    We had a clear screenshotted agreement that he would trade me on a certain date since one of his items was untradable, and then he backed off.

Just wondering if it calls for any type of punishment, I have a report ready.

I got someone else marked for witholding items he promised on a certain date as well, but that was different since he already traded some items to me before.
  2. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    Submit the report, if anything extra is required you will be told by a mod or one of the many helpers that hang around in the reports section.
  3. FireballNitro

FireballNitro New User

Steam:
    Alright, I put it up on FoG for response time. I guess we'll see?
  4. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    Best of luck. Next time just wait until everything's tradable, perhaps?
  5. FireballNitro

FireballNitro New User

Steam:
    I didn't want to wait, since I also had a guy offering just a little bit less in cash which I turned down cause of this. So I got an agreement in case he ran so he could potentially face some sort of punishment.
  6. Penguin The Fluffy

Penguin The Fluffy Articus Birdicus Defenderus Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:10455403
    Was there any exchange of items?

If not then the other trader has every right to back out of a trade at anytime. Simply saying I will trade you can be broken if nothing had moved from either account.
    USAFMike likes this.
  7. FireballNitro

FireballNitro New User

Steam:
    Oh well, guess I lost two deals for nothing. He agreed to not back out as well.
  8. USAFMike

USAFMike New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:20981877
    I agree.

But I will say depending on the type of trade, it's really really low and dirty. For example when I unboxed a Secret Moon SamurEye and Eerie Executioner on Halloween a few years ago, a guy (that had no signs of being a jerk or w/e) offered my buyout on both. He had other high tier Unusuals so I had no reason to think he couldn't afford it. He lead me on for 2 months, 2 friggen months, leading me to reject some great offers. Messaged and he said that he wouldn't get them and removed me. Really....really pissed me off. Made me think this was a scheme to purposely screw me rather than him just innocently deciding not to buy them.
  9. Penguin The Fluffy

Steam:
    There is a distinct difference in losing out on a deal and fraud.

We are not here to make sure you made a profitable trade. We do what we do to protect traders from fraud.

Making a trader state they wont back out of a deal as a "trade agreement" so that they are "forced" to trade you or face punishment is a deceptive and goes against their right to back out. We can not and will not punish traders for exercising their right to back out of a trade that hasn't happened yet.

Now do not misunderstand me either. If you make an agreement ,and you do a partial trade, the other party involved will be expected to complete said agreement. For doing a partial trade and not completing it is fraud.
  10. FireballNitro

FireballNitro New User

Steam:
    So if he gave me 1 key and still agreed to do the trade, but backed out, he'd be marked? Or did I have to trade the unusual as well?
  11. FireballNitro

FireballNitro New User

Steam:
    I didn't make him say anything either, I asked him if he could and if he didn't want to I would have just taken the other cash offer for safety
  12. a Gentleman

Steam:
    Like what Fluffy said. If the trade was initiated, i.e., if an item was traded with a mutual agreement that something would be traded in return for it, and one person fails to hold up their end of the agreement, you should definitely file a report.

However, if a tacit agreement is reached, but nothing was traded or funds transferred, then no one is liable for anything. A moderator or admin can probably clarify this better than I can.
  13. FireballNitro

FireballNitro New User

Steam:
    What if he gave me an item, but then wanted to back out of the agreement? Implying I did not give anything also.
  14. a Gentleman

Steam:
    I think you should return the item, being a good person and all that! Let's wait for an SR Mod to hop on and clear this up for you. :)
  15. Penguin The Fluffy

Steam:
    If he gave you and item and then decided to not complete the deal, I would expect you to return the item. Otherwise you obtained an item from outside of a trade agreement and/or failed to complete the agreement. Meaning you would be at fault and held responsible.

Keep in mind, if you complete a trade and they want to trade back you have no obligations to return items from completed trades. That would be buyers remorse.

I would also expect you to not intentionally put yourself in these situations. As that also is my eyes deceptive trading by consistently baiting traders hoping for a payout.
    a Gentleman likes this.
  16. FireballNitro

FireballNitro New User

Steam:
    This is my first time in a situation like this except when I got scammed this way, I was just curious in case something like this happens to me again. I have no intention to do anything morally wrong.
    a Gentleman likes this.
  17. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Let me make another situation clear.

Trader A wants game XX for keys/items he has, Trader B is willing to buy for that deal the game from steam or w/e he may find it. Once they agree and Trader B purchased it, Trader A cannot back-out. For Trader B did part of the deal already. (as long as trader B tells: I need to buy this game, once we agree, I buy it).

And waiting for a deal: nope, never do that, unless you can see the items in their backpack having a X time before becoming available. After that, and still excuses: walk away.
    Too many trolls to wait for ppl.
  18. FireballNitro

FireballNitro New User

Steam:
    Ok cool, I won't put myself in this situation again. Hopefully my other guy still wants to trade.

Thanks and I thought you handled d0's report really well, even though many don't; I took the time to read everything and it made enough sense to me
  19. BigMac187

BigMac187 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32620293
    I remember that, not sure if you remember but I was offering some nice value on the Eerie Exec and you told me you had someone collecting for your B.O. Then as things go with Halloween more unusuals unboxed and you then had less interest in your items once they other guy backed out :(
    ---
    I was thinking about your case OP and it did remind me of the D0 case, like didn't D0 get marked for not going ahead with an agreement deal and then I though that could open a can of worms where people do pull out of deals daily and I don't think that pulling out of deals is or should be markable.
  20. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    You should re-read the D0's report. Your main problem is reading what you want and forget the rest.