1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Why No feedback on reports?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by The Once and Future King, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:13684329
    I created a scam report (http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561198035715080-canadian-gladhe8her.7666/) a while back. I wasn't sure if this was really a scam, though it seemed like an attempted scam (even though he was unsuccessful) and was defiantly very dirty. It has now been archived without any feedback. Is that how Steamrep works, they just deny things for no reason? I mean if that's not considered a scam I guess I need to start trying to get people to give me free things in that method. It would be nice if they at least gave a reason when not accepting it.
  2. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Normally we do respond. Looks like the admin forgot in that case.

In this case, we just wanted the thread logged since the act didn't violate any policy of SteamRep's. Please be patient with us given the large volume of scam reports we receive each day. We don't have enough volunteers helping such that we can treat every not-a-scam reports (like yours) with the thoroughness that we handle actual scam reports where something was stolen.

Sorry about that.
  3. The Once and Future King

Steam:
    OK, well it is nice to at least know that. Now I know that if I want to report a scammer I have to actually let them take something from me or I shouldn't bother with the hassle of reporting him since people who attempt scams but are noticed before I give them anything apparently are ok.

Edit- Also, thanks for the response.
  4. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Please don't degenerate into rude responses. I offered you apologies on behalf of SteamRep, and ideally you understand our policies a bit better now and don't take it personally. We've already spent more time on this than it warrants, but I wanted to be sure you received a quick response to your inquiry.

In that reported case, the person was begging from you. Not trying to scam anyone by tricking them in a PayPal trade, quickswitching, etc. We don't tag item beggars and we're really not keen on spending more time on reports like that. If you look through the forums you'll find hundreds of scam reports that involve hijacking accounts, middleman injection, etc. You won't find people tagged simply for begging for items.

Good luck to you.
  5. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    There are many communities that partner with SR such as my own and if a scam happens or are attempted on one of these community sites or servers by all means report it to them cause we can get tags sometimes applied much faster than SR itself due to the amount coming into them. Basically what I'm saying is if something happens on my servers I WANT THE REPORT.... don't run off to SR and report it as I may have more evidence to drop into the case which will come in handy if this person appeals the tag vs SR whom may not have no idea and will end up wasting time running around looking for it.

In your case King, the guy likely didn't add you at random but found you on a server or thru a server and if it was infact one that partners with SR then report it thru them..just an example but you don't have random adds without a source unless of course they are using some sharking tool to hunt items.
  6. The Once and Future King

Steam:
    After talking to some people, I found out he found me through TF2R. He was adding a lot of the bigger raffles on the site and giving them the same story. I got him banned from the site within an hour of the attempt, but I guess in this case it is not considered an attempted scam because it is "begging". I would disagree; since he claimed to have played with me before when he hadn't, I would say that was attempting to scam me since I would give items to people whom I actually do game with if they got ripped off and needed help. Alas I am not the one who decides what is an attempted scam or not, and TF2R reports scammers for people who duplicate profiles of winners and try to claim someone elses prize. Scum like the guy who contacted me are allowed to continue doing what it is they do and probably getting free items from people who are not as quick to figure things out as I.
  7. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    You are welcome to file a complaint thru steam support ticket since you disagree with this method but "begging" is not a scam no matter how much you spin it. Now I have a rule against no begging on my servers - if you don't wish to have that happen without punishment then you are more than welcome.
  8. The Once and Future King

Steam:
    I get that, but it's not like the guy just added me and started begging it was the fact that he lied to me about having played with me that I did not like. He was also targeting people who have a habit of generously giving away items. Like I said, had he actually been someone who I played with and had a good game with I would have probably given him items so to me that lie is like trying to scam me. I wasn't going to report it but a couple of the other people he attempted to scam recommended that I did. It seems a shame that there is no way to mark people like that to warn other people that he will try to add for free items in the future but I do understand why begging is not scam, I just saw this as a case of more than just begging, I guess I just have higher moral standards than most.

Thanks for your feedback though.
  9. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    No you have a lesser grasp of reality.

SR cannot action such reports, and for obvious reasons. Do you know how many kiddies "beg" for items on a daily basis? Some of them are more persistent and inventive than others. What exactly are you suggesting, some kind of "Minority Report" scenario where we keel-haul everyone before they have done anything? It doesn't happen in real life, why should a game be any different?

Now certainly individual sites and networks can and do look into such issues as yours, and if an individual is found to be "begging" for stuff using less tactics which are rather crafty and attempting to do so on a regular basis, they can often be investigated and banned appropriately.

I do applaud your efforts to protect others, and admin on a lot of sites I often find myself locked in the dilemma of exactly how to prosecute similar cases, and believe me it isn't always easy "morally. Please be aware there are limitations on how different sites and networks can act and try to realize that we all have the same goals, just different ways of getting there.

Do not be dissuaded, just try to report such things in the first instance to the particular site where an incident has taken place. Remember if you come across someone who is a serial offender then admins will often warn other sites etc.
  10. The Once and Future King

Steam:
    Again, you seem to be incapable of reading before you respond. I understand that begging is not scamming, it was the intro of claiming to know me from previous interaction in game that I found to be extremely dirty and equal to scamming. Please attend school and learn to read. I did not want to make this into an argument and I have a response for my question so I do not see a need to argue further, apparently my standards are higher than others. Why wouldn't I be dissuaded from further action if I have problems with people trying to scam me? From what I can tell the only way anything can be done is if I let them actually scam me.
  11. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Oh dear, you Sir an utter twit it seems to me.

You obviously revel too much in your own prose, and pay little regard for what others say, so I won't ask you to peruse what people have posted since you clearly cannot fathom that your issue was responded to.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Ojos que a luz se abrieron
    un dia, para despues,
    ciegos tornar a la tierra
    hartos de mirar sin ver

*Lorca
  12. The Once and Future King

Steam:
    If you really want to continue the insults VanGanZa then lets take a look at some of the comments that you have made so far:

I don't know where you come from but where I live this does happen in real life. If someone attempts to kill another person but does not succeed they will be punished for attempted murder. If someone tries to rob a bank but they are stopped by the police before they get away with anything they will still go to jail, they don't walk free just because they were bad at robbing banks and didn't get any money. So yeah, it kind of does make sense to mark people who are attempted scammers, that would help keep them from actually succeding in pulling off a scam in the future.

This is an issue with not having read my comments, as it is not the begging that I was concerned with but rather how he started the conversation with outright lies about having known me etc. I have in fact had 5-6 people add me out of the blue and beg for items. This is the only one I've reported, partially because it was suggested to me by someone else whom he attempted to scam, and partially because he was the only one who tried giving me some bullshit lies about how he knew who I was, everyone else basically said "hey I saw your raffle. Your a really nice guy. I'm really poor can I have some items?" All the others I was content with blocking or trolling and taking screenshots of the conversation for future entertainment but this case was different as he was using outright deceitful and low tactics (not really any worse than sharking, only spinning some different lies).

Usually when people add you out of nowhere to beg for items you do not know what site they found you on. It happened on steam so it makes sense to report it to steamrep, the people who compile all of the scammer information. In this case I was able to figure out that he found me on TF2R due to his friends list having many people from that site on it and me asking them if the guy had contacted them at all (and the guy had contacted them using the same story to try to scam (or beg depending on how you look at it) them but most of the time when someone adds you and feeds you a bunch of lies it is harder to know how they found you. If the person adds me and tells me how he knows me truthfully then the whole thing isn't as big of an issue so I would have no need to report them to any sites since even though they are begging for items they are at least being honest.

No what I cannot fathom is the fact that people are focusing on the begging aspect of this and not the deceitful methods the guy used to try to trick me into giving him items. My issue was responded to in a timely fasion by Mattie, and Horsedick gave some helpful feedback. I thanked them both and there really was no need for furthur discussion but you sir felt the need to come here and immediately start insulting me:

So I really don't know what you were trying to accomplish by posting here.
  13. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    Both of you stop it. There's no reason for such things.

It's fine that you have "a higher moral standard", just don't come here telling us how SteamRep should work.

Since it happened through TF2R, report it on TF2R, and let them deal with it.
  14. The Once and Future King

Steam:
    And when people add us out of the blue and we don't know how they found us where do we report them then?
  15. The Once and Future King

Steam:

I apologize if it sounded like I was trying to tell you how steamrep should work.
    I was just looking for an answer as to why the reporst was not accepted and would have been content leaving it at that.
    I however cannot just sit by idly while someone hurls insults at me so I felt the need to point out the flaws in VanGanza's logic they were not directed at the people who run SteamRep.
  16. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    How anybody convinces somebody else to "donate" items, is up to them. As it was done without pretense on that the reported wanted it donated to him, w/e story someone hangs up to achieve this isn't relevant to SR. We can understand that you may be feeling insulted by lies or w/e of that person, but that is not relevant.

The topic has had its purpose, and I'll close it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.