1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Calling out Steam rep mods for help during this time

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Bank, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Bank

Bank New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:104595370
    Due to the nature of the season (The DOTA 2 International event), the amount of DOTA2 scammers are going through the roof with all of the forced gift giving due to valve's greediness and not letting us trade our items properly. I know there are tons of threads out there to look over and review, but I would plead with you during this time of year to pay special close attention to DOTA 2 scams to stop them before they can continue to do so throughout the event which isn't over until Aug 8th and the items aren't regularly tradeable by valve until Aug 31st so there is still plenty of time.

Again, I know there are tons of threads in here, and everyone deserves to get their case heard in all games, but IMO given the nature of the season, we should stop these vastly rising DOTA 2 scammers quick so they can't keep doing it. I don't even trade much and I, myself believe already have something like 4 or 5 cases open...Just a thought
  2. SIVARTZ

SIVARTZ Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:46928737
    We have 25,000 reports open right now. Tell all your Dota 2 friends to get in line like everyone else. I dont think ill be taking my vacation from my real job just to handle the influx of reports from a Dota convention.
    Roudydogg1 and Enstage like this.
  3. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    OR just help them not get scammed in the first place, that works too.
    {MN} Jesus Christ likes this.
  4. Bank

Bank New User

Steam:
    Pretty sure no one asked you to do that. It was a mere suggestion, I'm honestly surprised a moderator came back with such a response. "Due to our policies, we must take appropriate action as the cases come in. Therefore, we cannot specifically target an influx of Dota 2 reports at this time due to a current event." Now doesn't that sound more professional and less like a jerk?

Anyway, thanks for the response. Have a good one.
  5. SIVARTZ

SIVARTZ Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:46928737
    Touche, I stand corrected. I apologize for coming off like a jerk. Its just your title rubbed me the wrong way.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  6. Bank

Bank New User

Steam:
    Apology accepted. Thank you. I understand, a lot of people nag about getting their cases resolved. That was not my intent, it was pretty much just a warning that u guys are going to get a huge influx of reports from the Dota 2 community around this time and it would be NICE if they could have a priority, but like I said in the OP, I understand everyone deserves to have their case heard. I received my answer. No hard feelings. You can close the thread.
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    We have some priority tools implemented, those that are on a "spree" get more attention (all those with more then x reports are getting handled first) and that reports against green tagged partners etc are also a priority to us (to lower risk of abuse etc). Outside that, some mods and admins like to work on old reports, others on newer reports.

Unfortunately we have currently no way to express a value that was stolen by some to have that as a priority parameter, or a specific game type to get more attention during a period or so. In that, our tools are indifferent. I'm also not sure if I would want those parameters to become a factor. High value items should have been traded with a lot more carefulness, and low value doesn't mean lower priority anyhow. A specific game isn't really a factor for us either, it just requires the admin that handles that specific report for that specific game to have some specific knowledge of that game (what items must be gifted or special properties, or w/e).

Outside that, plays into consideration that for most of our admins its summer, and vacations are planned, daytrips to amusement parks, BBQ's, summer events, work, generally hot and not wanting to sit inside etc. Summer is always a time that less admins are fully active, for they are also trying to enjoy their lives instead of seeing more depressing reports that could have been prevented if the victim had just paid attention, and thought of to check better how to trade.

I'm only incidentally doing reports, for they come up due some investigation and encounter it, or difficulty high, or w/e reason. I wish I had time to do appeals, but I'm doing a project that takes a lot of time.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  8. Bank

Bank New User

Steam:
    Exceptional explanation that is completely understandable. Thank you very much.
  9. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    It's incredibly hard to deal with Dota reports since it's incredibly hard to track gift history. As well, not to be racist or anything but the number of russians in the dota community makes for a lot of really badly written reports.

There's not too much difference in a tag and a report if someone is smart enough to check SteamRep.

Also, keep in mind that more staff looking at dota reports could actually increase scams - all reports, no matter how badly written, are left up as warnings right now. But if you have 100x the staff manpower to deal with all the dota reports, you end up with those bad reports wiped away quickly. These scammers make alts really quick, I'd rather get warned by a report than a tag cause them to just go straight to a new acc with each scam.
  10. Bank

Bank New User

Steam:
    A good point as well, but if a scammer creates another account, you would be able to see the hours played on DOTA via steam, so you would be able to tell something is off if they're trying to get a high value item off of you...And if the scammer is truly that dedicated to scamming to put more hours into an account after they've been banned, then maybe they deserve to be free haha (not really). I mean you could say they'll go and buy an account somewhere, but that's a whole different story entirely. Definitely see where you're coming from though.
  11. Salmon

Steam:
    They buy new accounts, not create. Disturbingly easy to get them cheap. Or if they do create, they can easily idle the accounts in rotation so that by the time one gets caught, they have the next one ready.

This is part of why SteamRep has fallen off a lot - scammers are now giant networks of alts. When SteamRep started it was a very different community, with just TF2.
    Lava likes this.
  12. Bank

Bank New User

Steam:
    I never actually paid attention if "in game time" only adds up if you're actually playing the game or if you're idle...That's a very good point and good insight. Thanks.
  13. WarNev3rChanges

WarNev3rChanges New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46250366
    It might be worth making reports with r/Dota2Trade if there is an actual influx. @Captain Unicorn Smiles (because you're the first name to pop into my head :p ) or one of the others could confirm is that's a good idea. No idea how busy they are right now.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  14. Captain Unicorn Smiles

Captain Unicorn Smiles r/dota2trade moderator Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:55854370
    I'm planning on making a PSA today and beginning to process gifting scams. Reborn has allowed us to have a ton more information.
  15. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Cant prove much with gifting scams.
  16. Captain Unicorn Smiles

Captain Unicorn Smiles r/dota2trade moderator Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:55854370
    You used to not be able to prove much. Reborn has more information about who sent/received gifts.
  17. Penguin The Fluffy

Penguin The Fluffy Articus Birdicus Defenderus Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:10455403
    Even then that information isn't going to be 100% reliable. Hiccups in Steam API or even private backpacks ruin the information that can be retrieved for most systems.
  18. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    I'll bite, what is "Reborn" ?
  19. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    I think its a movie? Maybe new Alien vs Predator movie?
  20. Salmon

Steam:
    Dota 2 got a source 2 upgrade.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.