1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Identifying Scammers/Stopping Their Tracks

Discussion in 'SteamRep Guides' started by Virtro, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Virtro

Virtro New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:40272194
    Scammers are a huge thing to this day, you will 90% of the time go on a server and find out there might be a scammer waiting to take your precious items. Here's a little guide to know how to stop them in their tracks:

1. Common Sense
    Lots of you know your common sense; get the persons info about their rep, ask them for reccomendations, etc. But many of you still fall for it because you think it's safe NOT to use common sense all the time. Wrong.
    Percaution should be taken EVERY TIME to ensure fair trading. Unless they are recongnized as the trusted traders, be ready to get information on someone.

How to Use Common Sense
    First off, make sure you know what he's going to give you. If you both are trading TF2 Items, be sure to use the in game trading window provided by Steam.

If Someone however, is trading a game for money or TF2 items, get a tusted trader to help you if possible. This is where most of the people fall for everyones scamming routine. GET A TRUSTED TRADER, NOT A FRIEND AND NOT HIS FRIEND.

Also, be sure to ask for information. If he is clean, then proceed. However, it is to be believe that people who have scammer friends are scammers themselves. GET REFERENCES For example: if you use Source OP or Trading Outpost, check the people he has reccently traded with. If all is good, the proceed the trading.

If he seems to avoid giving you any kind of reference or SteamRep. Exit immediately. Remember, you have all the time in the world to get what you want. DON'T BE FOOLISH!

2. THEIR TRICKS
    Every scammer has a trick up their sleeve. They can copy an account, or they could be hijacking. Some scammers are not that smart however. People fall for that occasionally because they believe the names but not the evidence. GET THE EVIDENCE! Remember: You have all the time in the world.

Here are some techniques I have seen so far of how they will scam.

1. Site Hack.
    People will tell you to go to a certain site. If you have seen "How To Reconize Hijacking Sites" then you will know they use their tatics of hiding the links. IF they give you a link and tell you to log in. Dont do it. Unless you know they are trusted, do not go to that site. 50% could be possible it is a hacker site and someone could be getting your Steam Info.

2. Paying
    Scammers will try to make you pay with PayPal. Again, unless they have proof they are trustworthy to get the money, do not do it! If they seem they want you to pay through PayPal only and will not trade with items, end the trade.

3. "Trade Me First."
    We have all heard this line one too many times. They will use the excuse "I have trading paranoia" or "I got scammed too many time to trust anyone." Unless you know them and have done this whole line of work honestly, do not trust them. You will end up seeing "[their name here] is offline" in the chat room. An you wont get what you wanted.

4. Calling And Hacking.
    Hackers exist today, we all know this. But what we don't know is they can obtain info if you use steam calling. Do not talk to anyone within the voice chat unless they are your friend.

WARNING: Depending on the things that happen or what will happen, I will not garuntee everything will be 100% scam free trading. If there is anything else I should put down, please aware me.
    Dronefly and Erasmus Bollins like this.
  2. HAK

HAK New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:29044036
    Some very basic quick tips, very easy to remember with enough practice and good habits,

Thanks to recent ninja fix, click on the trader's name or avatar while in trade window to launch his real profile in Steam Browser

Check

- join date <- older better
    - public/private profile <- 99% private profiles are scammers.
    - TF 2 hours <- anything below 1k has twice the risk
    - comments/rep thread <- easy to fake OR accumulate, the further apart on date of posting between each, the better
    - friends list <- higher better

These are very easy to spot, won't even take 5 minutes to analyze, from there factor in risk of value in item VS reputation of the account of the person you're trading with
    (in other words, if you're him, would YOU do it)

SR quick check

Steam browser should be showing the person's steam URL link, if not, go to Settings -> Interface tab, check "Display Steam URL address bar when available", click OK

A typical person's steam profile link in Steam Browser address bar looks something like this

http://steamcommunity.com/id/iamnotascammer <- custom profile, this name can be changed any time and is not reliable, however, impersonators cannot use the same letters, hence they sometimes get away by using zero instead of O etc.

OR

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198123121667 <- also known as steamID64 addressed by Steam itself, cannot be changed, and is binded to the person's account, this is the most accurate data to determine impersonators.

Stick either one to steamrep.com to validate, or complete this link

http://www.steamrep.com/index.php?id= insert profile link here

Some wise words for keepsake:

If it sounds too good be to be true... it probably is.

Cash trading is a whole other can of worms that needs a lot more careful planning, check my rep thread link in my profile if you need some help.
    Erasmus Bollins likes this.
  3. Erasmus Bollins

Erasmus Bollins New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:29734802
    this has been good reading.
  4. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    4. Calling And Hacking.
    Hackers exist today, we all know this. But what we don't know is they can obtain info if you use steam calling. Do not talk to anyone within the voice chat unless they are your friend.

This is DEFINITELY A HUGE RISE IN SCAMS as of late. It is probably the most used one recently so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT use this feature. EVER!
  5. Melkor

Melkor New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:45978671
    I've never heard of it but when someone experienced recommend this I will listen...
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    On point 4, its not a huge risk, all that gets done is that that person gains the IP address. But one can gain that from a lot of sources.
  7. HAK

HAK New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:29044036
    The IP address can be gained even if the person being called does not pick up

this has been an ongoing issue for years @ SPUF
  8. Virtro

Virtro New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:40272194
    Ah, very well...

IGNORE #4 And Replace it With:
    Hackers:
    There are those willing to get what they want, even if it means taking it from your inventory. Do not share any kind of info that will lead to the situation of you being hacked by another. That major ones are, of course; Email(s) and Password(s).

Also... don't tick off the wrong people. 75% of the time, they will be a hacker... and they'll be wanting revenge...
  9. DJ_Machine

DJ_Machine New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:40896779
    Dont confuse the people who are skids with hackers. Your connected to the internet via your home/work/mindlink your privacy is gone expect that eveyone knows your password. be kind curtious and mind your own buisness flying low will keep you off the radar of the most scary of the bads.