1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Ask A SteamRep Staff Member

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Xenophobia, Jan 14, 2013.

1. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    I'm not familiar with the item and the scam attempt, so its not really possible to comment upon without more information. How does one become eligible for the "Rust - Game shirt" ? and whats the attempt to scam look like?

/edit: just looked at the report. I would have to conclude its more like a shark attempt then anything else. Traders should look into the items that are offered, and think about if they really want the offered items. If it doesn't fit into their knowledge area, don't trade for it. Valve's "Buyers remorse" rule would be the best way to describe it.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    Tio José das Vacas likes this.
  2. prodigyaustralia

prodigyaustralia New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:52814116
    Its not really a shark attempt, did you see my post? Rust shirts are skins. Like skins for guns in CS:GO Rust has skins for clothes, its the exact same as H1Z1. These items are marketable, if you own Rust. You can't be EAC banned or VAC banned for rust in order to market them. You can't be family sharing either. They are hard to sell but you may get a buyer for that price. You'd sell it faster if you dropped the price 10 or 15 %. He doesn't own Rust that's why it appears as not-marketable.

How do I put it. Its like trading for an item a select few people want. It's mainly a collectors item.
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    I probably define sharking a bit different they you. Offering a unwanted, difficult to get rid off item....
    prodigyaustralia likes this.
  4. prodigyaustralia

Steam:
    Agreed

but even if he accepted it he could still make a small profit just not straight away. I saw a similar post to this on a Facebook csgo trade group regarding the same issue with the same shirt and a lower valued CS:GO item "ah he's a scammer report his profile pls".
  5. niczwerg

niczwerg New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:89535105
    I got the information of the scam from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensiveTrade/comments/3gm9mo/psa_rust_sandbox_game_shirt_scam/
    As in the posting stated, there are marketable shirts, but the vast majority of them seems to be not marketable.

BTW. how can I find out, if the shirt of a particular trade offer is marketable?

@SilentReaper(SR) : thx for the reply, I can follow your argumentation. Still this leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth, cause at least I haven't found a way to determine if the item is marketable or not.

I think in the next days and weeks you'll have to deal with a lot of people who did the trade. (at least I'm lucky to have found the Reddit-post, before doing the trade....)
    One victim wrote in the Reddit-thread: "Lol, got scammed by this. 20$, nothing much, but still. Tags aren't showing on the trade though, if someone wonders."

@prodigyaustralia: yeah that's why why in the last week 3 people wanted to trade me this shirt, and everyone would have overpaid me 10 - 20€ .... people are so generous in the market.... ;)

Best regards
  6. prodigyaustralia

Steam:
    You don't own Rust so it won't be marketable for you either.
  7. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    note that only a few t-shirts are marketable because if i'm not mistaken valve made tem all unmarketable at on point only the ones already in the market survived.
    niczwerg likes this.
  8. prodigyaustralia

Steam:
    Yeah cause facepunch stuffed something up with the skin and it was bugged as a "black shirt" or someshit I remember buying a black shirt and it gave me the Rust sandbox one (blue one we are talking about).
  9. Taihou

Taihou New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:2799384
    So, I have someone who scammed my friend saying that his account was Hijacked and the hacker was the one who actually scammed my friend.

He wants my friend to remove the steamrep report on him, should or should I not do this?

My friend says he doesn't believe him when he says that he was hijacked.
  10. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Its 99.98% just the scammer pretending to have been hijacked to avoid being tagged, submit all the details of the chats to the report and let the SR admins deal with it. they have ways to tell if an account was or was not hijacked.
  11. Salamence613

Salamence613 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:56433730
    Hello. This is my first post/reply, so sorry if there are any mistakes. I recently got scammed by this guy who was already banned, but he used an alt that hasn't been reported yet to scam me. I have an alt, and I have added him with that, and he does not know. Is it okay if I try to catch him by setting him up? For example, he impersonates other's profiles, so I can get my friend to be in the chat with me after he has added his fake account.
  12. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Sting operations like scamming the scammer have the same result. Often the scammers know better how to report then the victims.

I know, its tempting. But we also deal with that a scammer can be falsely accused by a "victim", which mostly stems from "buyers remorse" etc. In reaction the friends of the "victim" start up a sting operation against the scammer etc, where there was no real scam in the first place.

I cannot condone such sting operations for those reasons. I do feel for you on this, and if you would get reported, you can bring that forward as extenuating circumstances.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  13. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    On a slightly related note, is it considered a sting operation if (I'll speak in first person since its easier that way):

- I used to know a scammer (before they got marked)
    - They got marked and I cut off communications with them
    - The now marked scammer account goes inactive
    - A friend of the person (actual friend, not just on their friends list) tells me that the scammer now has an alternate account
    - I pretend I want to catch up with the owner of the marked account (the scammer) and try to get his friend to link me to the alternate account
  14. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    No, for the steps you describe aren't scamming, which is the main reason we do not allow sting operations to scam the scammers. You gathering information about any scammer to find their alts isn't against our rules (unless you start hijacking techniques etc). Question remains, as part of the build up proof you would have to include information how you got to the conclusion... and you may not want to post the conversations to those friends publicly.
  15. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Also, @Enstage you'd need to prove it's actually their alt, and not just a scammer saying it's their alt because they want that profile marked.
  16. Enstage

Steam:
    Of course. But you guys and your magical backend that seems to have an infinite amount of amazingly godly tools means I don't really have to lel
  17. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Magic doesn't mean easy, or fool proof. Your hypothetical situation could reveal someone completely undetected.
  18. Enstage

Steam:
    I'm very much aware. As for fool proof, I mentioned this to SilentReaper, but anyone can feed you guys false IP data, so yeah :/

I'm pretty sure you could deduce that wasn't a hypothetical situation, according to his friend this guy has an alt:
    https://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198158187321
    And according to my own magical backend, this is the alternate acc (I have records of them having the same static IP, however the clashes are about 2 weeks apart, you guys probs have more on this):
    http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198174665906
    And this is the friend, they have some IP clashes, since logging in at each others house I assume:
    http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198169910458
  19. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Right..we all know that Lava here is really an alt for YATO and his secret Pony fetish. I've been tryin to prove it since day one but just can't nail down the facts yet.
  20. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Its easy:

Take "YATO", lets start with the "T" you move the horizontal part to the bottom and attach the left side to the end of the vertical point, you have a "L". Then you have the "A" we make no changes there, we have then the "Y" to remove the vertical part of it (save it) and all that is left is a "V". The "O" you crack open at the bottom and flatten the sides till you have "/\" and the remainder of the "Y" that was removed you put in horizontally and you have an "A".