1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Hacker hacks my PC in game

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by FlyingMonkey, Oct 16, 2015.

1. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:48727199
    I joined a Comp match. Everyone had joined in warm up and one guy left, which was quite odd. A second later, my mouse starts going everywhere and the menu opens. I thought it was an issue with my PC until the mouse slowly dragged to the EXIT GAME bit on the menu. I turned off my PC by the plug and got scared so I waited 10 minutes and was worried if my computer had a RAT. Got on and I checked everything to make sure I didn't have a virus. Valve, please get better protection. This PC cost quite a lot and I'm sure you wouldn't want that to happen to your customers. Please fix.
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    You where "invited" by somebody you don't know to a "match" which "required" "anti-cheat" software to be "installed" to be able to "play" on their "server"....

The "anti-cheat" software they got you to install is malware that is stealing your account/steam items...
  3. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey New User

Steam:
    It was a valve competitive match. I was solo queuing.
  4. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Ok, well how did you inspect your computer for infections? If you feel as if you were infected by something, unplugging it won't help it go away. You either need to clean/check it properly yourself which apparently you don't know how or get someone locally that knows what they are doing to check it over for you.
  5. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey New User

Steam:
  6. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    ok well again doesn't appear you have any idea what your doing. I suggest you take it to someone and pay them to clean it properly.

Take it from someone that has been working on/cleaning systems for the last 20 years.
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    hmm was it a custom map?
  8. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey New User

Steam:
    It was a Valve competitive match. The one where you get your rank up.
  9. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Turn of Sprays in your game. Valve says (in the HLDS mailing list) they solved that like .... weeks ago... but valve is in that regard quite bad.
  10. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey New User

Steam:
  11. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Nothing Flying, SR was just referring to an issue a while back about spray files being infected but that has since been corrected.

Follow my advice and find someone that knows what they are doing to check over your system.
  12. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    A few weeks ago there where update notes regarding sprays or map content being used on servers with special plugins to get arbitrary code running on clients (gamers) computers. Apparently the sprays or injected map content where not loaded clientside in a "secure" memory area and the server then by a plugin sending commands to the players the client game commanding it to executing the code.

I may explain this wrongly, for I only skimmed it over for a few details on what the attack vectors where (sprays and custom maps/inserted content and a server side plugin). But if it was a valve server, this would have not worked (Valve doesn't put plugins on their servers or insert content into maps).

Sprays or "Inserted Content" are images placed on walls etc, showing a image of choice by a player (spray), or by the server owner (inserted content) like ads, or a image of "rules" on the wall of the spawnpoint etc.
  13. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Thats one that is really true.
  14. Dafty™

Dafty™ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:2120477
    • SteamRep strongly recommends against giving other traders view/control of your computer via applications such as Team Viewer.
    It's incredibly easy for someone to crypt their RAT, and your Windows Defender won't find it. I suggest downloading multiple standalone malware removers and running all of them. Clean your registry and also check running programs+processes in Task Manager.

I can do this on TeamViewer if you wish, but it's pretty straight forward. If you're interested I can also give you links to recommended official standalone malware removers.
  15. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey New User

Steam:
    If you could give me some links to some malware removers, it'd be great. Thanks.
  16. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    This is very bad advice, on multiple levels.

First off, registry cleaners are a scam. Performance "boosts" from those types of applications are negligible, and no matter how well-written they can be (usually aren't) a single wrongfully removed key can wreck your system.

Second, running multiple anti-viruses at the same time will destabilize your computer. Anti-viruses protect you with a feature generally known as "real time scanning", often with a different trademarked marketing name. This "automatic protection" works by adding what's called a "filter driver" into Windows which scans everything that is read from or written to the hard drive, as well as a couple other places. When you start chaining these together, you introduce what's known in computer science as a race condition, and in a very simplified explanation the 2 anti-viruses aren't expecting another anti-virus to be there, so they collide and cause the computer to give a blue screen of death. Furthermore, this deep system level tweak, among others, is behaviorally similar to malware under a microscope, and anti-viruses have been known to "attack" eachother. Both of these things can wreak havoc on your computer, and not really leave you any better off. Plus, if they aren't interfering with one another, multiple anti-viruses will cause your computer to substantially more sluggish.

Third, this above quoted user is NOT staff, and you should NOT trust them with remote control of your computer. If they or anyone else offers to help you over a remote desktop application, we strongly recommend you just say no. If you don't understand what they're doing, there is nothing to prevent them from installing a rogue "anti-virus" that gives them remote control of your computer for later, and then using it to hijack your Steam account or cause other problems you probably don't want to deal with.
    Roudydogg1 and Enstage like this.
  17. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
  18. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey New User

Steam:
    Thanks guys for all of your help. Downloading avast now. <3
  19. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey New User

Steam:
    Getting someone to clean my PC tomorrow, too.
  20. Dafty™

Dafty™ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:2120477
    Yeh I actually Major in Information Systems and Computer Science.

First of all. Malware removers and antivirus software are two different things let alone "standalone" malware removers. Malware removers seek out and find various viruses and trojans in different ways than antivirus software.

Secondly. I never said use a registry cleaner. I agree they are stupid and help no one, however, you can clean your registry easily with no addon programs. As for scanning your registry there are programs that find viruses hidden in the registry.

Thirdly. I am here to help and obviously know more than you about computers. I tried to be kind.

Lastly, and this is lastly.. You can modify TeamViewer to not allow keystrokes and file transfer. What could I possibly do with mouse clicks? You are an admin not a professor.

Also the warning was completely out of line. Trying to help a user with REAL informative knowledge that you obvious do not know anything about. If you'd like I'll upload my Bachelor of Information Systems (Major of Computer Science) certificate so you can pend the thought.

Whatever. Ill just leave, enjoy.

Oh to the random guy I offered my services to, PM me anytime man, I'll be more than happy to help (considering it is my full-time job that I love very very much).

Peace.