1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

NEWS: Valve banning CSGO community servers that have custom weapon models/mods

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Xenophobia, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/server_guidelines/

What.

WHAT?!
    Katpolice and Enstage like this.
  2. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    I don't think I can facepalm hard enough with this one...
  3. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=266498
    As you can see here its been happening since middle of last year depending on modifications they use.
    Valve has warned people not to use these things to create false items yet people still do it and now they are finally getting busted for it.

This is the same sorta stuff that causes them NOT to allow community server owners to run certain new game features like in TF2 cause they are worried about abuse such as this. They would rather nuke every board rather hit the nail heads standing up.
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    This was already happening for years, with TF2 items etc. Its fine to have a mod server, but not just to claim to have what you don't. So its fine to adjust a weapons effects in damage or w/e on a server, but not change its name and/or skin etc.

To be honest, I miss the note that their server IP's have been banned as well, in order to block them of using the same servers to attrackt their old players when they created a new account and server ID's. If they had, those server owners had to re-attract all those players all over again to get into their server favorites etc. Well, they can't move IP with it as such now with their new account and ID"s. But that is a minor headache. Players will continue to play on it.
  5. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  6. Roudydogg1

SteamRep Admin:
    But his ban for a decade because of his mods wasn't fair [​IMG]
  7. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    If it was me doing the banning I would have not only banned their Tokens, their API key, and their phone number perm. Valve gave clear warning and in plenty of time - these users didn't believe them and many of those that have now gotten new tokens are still going to do it....no remorse from me.
  8. Roudydogg1

SteamRep Admin:
    Indeed...if it takes you that long to realize theyve been banning the Tokens I think it only makes sense. Their loss!
  9. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    This rule shouldn't exist in the first place though. All Valve cares about is $$$ now.
  10. n0:name

n0:name FoG Owner Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26752334
    Basically this.
    Another problem is them banning entirely innocent servers who just forgot to remove, for example, "knife" from their sv_tags.
    Or how they banned hundreds of servers for their (now stroke-through) "clarification" without any notice. Not even a ban reason is display.
    Enstage likes this.
  11. Sebastian Nielsen

Sebastian Nielsen New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:5443765
    No, those servers aren't innocent.
    According to their rules, providing inaccurate information in the sv_tags are also a bannable offense.
    so for example putting "armsrace" in your sv_tags in a classic-competitive server is also something that can get your GSLT banned.

Before, such offenses, including running custom mods, only got your IP banned from the master server, but now any server publishing inaccurate information, even if they don't partipicate in the master server (eg running a "private" server), will get banned.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.