1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Allow for a persistent login cookie

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Inu, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Inu

Inu TF2Bazaar Owner Retired Staff Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:62120987
    The current idle expiration timer for staying logged in is very short, and with the Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator it forces you to needlessly pull out your phone several times a day when wanting to log into the SteamRep forums.

As far as I see it there are two options:

a) Increase the cookie's lifespan by default
    b) Allow users to opt into a persistent login cookie via their user settings(this would be more of a hassle to code on XenForo so option a is probably for the best)

I'd appreciate any feedback and will take the liberty to tag @Mattie! as this is probably a task for him.
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Apply a password on the forum account (I do, and I never have to login, its persisting already since last re-install of my PC, about 8 months ago), and you wont be asked to login with steam. I suspect its inherited from the steam login plugin or w/e.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  3. Inu

Steam:
    Thanks for your reply. I do have a password set, always had one. The issue still persists.
  4. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Screenshot from 2016-03-27 14:29:21.png
    Never had a problem with that. If the above doesn't work, are you clearing your cookies, perhaps?
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Or, spagettimonster forbid, use "private browsing", lol.
  6. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    Was a quick and convenient way of opening a cookie-free browser session for a screenshot when running out the door. Not meant to advocate its use or anything...
  7. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    You shouldn't be having to steam mobile auth each time.

I believe that the cookies here persist for quite a while or until you log in from another device. I know that's how CSGL works.
  8. Inu

Steam:
    Still expires after about an hour. Very strange.
  9. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    Sounds like you might be clearing cookies after an hour.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  10. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Sounds to me that the cookie is never set, and that the "session id" is held by the browser/server for an hour, after which its no longer valid. What browser are you using, and is it in "private" mode? Do you have a plugin that is cleaning cookies? Was this always, or since a certain (recent) date? Might that coincide with a browser update of your browser?

Otherwise, I'll blame this guy.
  11. TFD_Industries™

TFD_Industries™ Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:23416765
    I also have the problem Inu encounters for a while now, and I have yet to find a solution to this minor complication.
    As for the mobile authentication entry, my steamMachineAuth cookie is set to expire in 2026 on my Chrome browser.
    However, it still requests me to mobile authenticate every time I login with steam as well.
    P.S. problem persists on Firefox too.
  12. Inu

Steam:
    I mainly use Waterfox, the problem also occurs on Chrome and Edge though and has been there for as long as I can think.
  13. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    I agree with Inu. On my laptop I have logged in using my username/password on the forums and that session never expires. On my main computer though it expires almost every time I open the forums, probably because I only log in through Steam on there, its annoying as hell and should be extended just a bit.
  14. n0:name

n0:name FoG Owner Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26752334
    Yea, seems to only occur when you sign in through Steam (happening for me too).