1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

A Hypothetical Situation

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Duskfall -a^DF, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Duskfall -a^DF

Duskfall -a^DF New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41806566
    Suppose both I and an imaginary sibling had two separate steam accounts. We both played Team Fortress 2 for some time, accumulating their own items, hats, dueling wins, etc. Thus, we are essentially two different people on steam.

After some time, my imaginary brother decides to scam someone. He is marked on SteamRep as a result. A few months later, I am marked for having the same I.P. as my imaginary sibling (because we live in the same house). How would I go about proving that I am not an alternate account of my sibling's.

NOTE:
    This is not me. While I do have a sibling on steam with a separate account, he barely uses it. He doesn't even have Team Fortress.
  2. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

As any "proof" of having a "brother" can be faked, we can't discern between. We get way too often that kind of excuses, to be able to take them serious anyway. There are some excempts to this, but thats more to do how the internet works then the accounts, as we can look at that easily, we have no problems with giving that the right consideration.
  3. Duskfall -a^DF

Duskfall -a^DF New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41806566
    So, long story-short, there would be nothing I'd be able to do short of getting a degree in technology to actually know what I'd need to grab to prove my innocence?
  4. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

We've tried in the past with:
    - Pic with ID's with the accounts on the computer, looked promising, but too easy to fake.
    - chat with both and do some difficulty there
    - a load of other crap that doesn't prove anything.

But after deliberation, each of those where way too easy defeat-able. Its simply too easy to get a actual brother and get 'm to cooperate for this.

The type of evidence we have access to, tells us more, and is not within reach of you to provide to us. So we look at that ourselves instead. We normally don't provide that to others, for we don't like to divulge our methods too much.

If there was a real evidence to this, we would ask for it. As there isn't any that we know of, there isn't much to ask to provide. All we can do is look at the access we have to look into.

Computer science degree would not help in disproving a alt here. We've enough expertise in that.
  5. Moose M.D

Moose M.D New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35634275
    write a letter to customer support, same thing actually happened to me, i was able to trade after that