1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Ask A SteamRep Staff Member

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Xenophobia, Jan 14, 2013.

1. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Different types of scams have different influences on the outcome for appeals. I've NOT reviewed your case, but I'd guess it was either based on some of the circumstances or the scam type(s).
  2. Sniper Pro

Sniper Pro FirePowered Head Admin Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49525162
    Would just like to say that the "Appeal Denied" section of his SteamRep profile appears to be incorrectly linked to the first listed report against him, rather than to his appeal thread: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/appeal-76561198066402654-angus0920-trade-tf-sr-caution.143341/

Just wanted to point that out since I looked at his appeal out of curiosity and noticed the error. Hopefully an admin can do a quick fix for that. :)
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  3. [HCTG]Angus0920

[HCTG]Angus0920 Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:53068463
    Is there anyway I can get a second admin to review as it just seems quite hastily done compared to all other reports?
  4. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Don't know what your saying - PM me on steam to point it out I'll fix.
  5. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Per our FAQ, you are allowed to have your appeal reviewed by another admin to decide if you deserve a second appeal, only in the event of extenuating circumstances. To do this, you must choose one of these reasons, and explain:
    1. New evidence not produced in your original appeal.
    2. Unfair appeal. Note: A different appeal admin will review your original appeal and decide if their is enough to grant you a new appeal.
    3. Other extenuating circumstance at admins discretion (rarely granted).
    Under which of these grounds do you intend to have your appeal reviewed? And please explain your reasoning for whichever reason you choose.

Example of new evidence: Reporter was later banned for submitting fake reports/screenshots to maliciously harm people's reputation, supporting your claim to innocence.
    Example of unfair appeal: Appeals admin had a conflict of interest, or mishandled your case (e.g. rejected by same admin who accepted report).

NOTE: Appeal reviews are not appeals. You only get one appeal, and once denied you are out of options. Appeal reviews are intended as a level of oversight in case of admin abuse/mishandling or extenuating circumstances. Using the appeal review process to request a second chance or because you don't like the admin's decision will automatically result in your review being denied. You cannot request additional appeal reviews.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative).**
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    a Gentleman likes this.
  6. Sniper Pro

Sniper Pro FirePowered Head Admin Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49525162
    Looks like it was fixed, possibly before you saw it.
  7. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    Your caution is necessary considering you scammed people. Yes, you paid them back, but a lot of people don't get off so easy. You basically have a caution tag for scamming two people which is a pretty good deal.

I agree with the appeal decision.
    a Gentleman likes this.
  8. [HCTG]Angus0920

[HCTG]Angus0920 Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:53068463
    Ahhh ok, thanks for point that out for me guys, soorry to take time out of your day.
  9. ZakMcRofl

ZakMcRofl New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:460230
    Not sure what the correct procedure is to get cases re-opened so I will dump this here:
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561198043882860-mr-booom.18870/

This guy seems to be taking up his scamming business again and I was wondering why the old report was archived without banning him. It seems to have all required information.
    I did not file my own report because I canceled talks with him before I could get anything usable against him, but the old report(s) should be more than enough to paint a picture:
    http://forums.steamrep.com/search/6453353/?q=76561198043882860&o=date

Also interesting is him looking for random stuff for Paypal on Outpost:
    http://www.tf2outpost.com/user/8882
  10. ZakMcRofl

ZakMcRofl New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:460230
    Hmm apparently he really did buy some keys now from LeonSK, maybe he has stopped scamming. Either way its weird that this report just got archived.
  11. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    The report is old (circa early 2013), and at a glance doesn't have all the evidence we would require. Some of our evidence requirements got stricter over the years, which is why we handle reports slower now than before, so that may have played into it. Ultimately, there's a difference between knowing someone is a scammer, and proving they're a scammer, which means sometimes we have to close out, or archive, a report because we don't have enough evidence. A lot of people get upset by this, but it should really be seen as a protection for (potentially) innocent people to ensure we're absolutely sure someone is provably a scammer before applying a warning label.
  12. Cinos | yiff.tf

Cinos | yiff.tf New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32072447
    Someone just tried buying my items from paypal, after i told him im not interested he threatened to get me marked on steamrep if i didnt sell to him, is this reportable for harassment/extortion?
  13. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    No - you can block him on steam though.
  14. Cinos | yiff.tf

Cinos | yiff.tf New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32072447
    alright thanks!
  15. Quincy

Quincy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:97467352
    Today I got scammed for the first time (it was a scam by a Bitskins trade bot). I immediately closed everything (to take a breath, got myself some water), came back and wanted to report the person. I checked the requirements of the report and I read that I needed to provide screenshots. I went to the scammers profile and noticed he blocked me. At this point I realized I didn't have enough proof, because I didn't have the chat with the scammer. Some hours later I came up with this idea to just simply add his/her close friends (close friends aka friends that live in the same country). Two of the scammers friends said they knew about the scam after I questioned them.

I was wondering if this would be enough proof for him to be banned permanently. (I have the chat conversation with his friends recorded).
    Other questions:
    Is the appropriate tag for the report: [Rep Fraud] Impersonation with intent to defraud ?
    Is this enough proof or do I need to add more proof (if so, what do I need to add?):
    1. Screenshot of the fake bot I traded with.
    2. Recording of the chats with his friends confirming he scammed me.
    Last question: Would it be possible to add more proof after the scammer has been reported? (lets say I somehow get a hold of the chat)
    (long story short, the scammer had 2 accounts. Used one account to talk to me, used the other one to pretend to be the bot. Got the item with the BitSkins bot, and blocked me on his main).

Thanks for reading everything. (I'm sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes. English is not my foreign language).
  16. The Slow Scout

The Slow Scout New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:101591351
    Hey All,

I've always wanted to help out with SteamRep reports, but couldn't apply for staff here due to the fact that i'm fifteen years old. However, i've seen some people post in reports who aren't staff, helping the victims gather the right evidence and so on. My question is, am I allowed to help out with reports as a non SR staff member? I read this thread - Do Not Post Unless Directly Related to a Report and so i'm wondering if you guys no longer allow this since September 25th, 2016 (Date of when thread was posted).

4. "Have evidence directly related to the SAME INCIDENT" -- Does this include helping victims gather the evidence? (Saying that they need to provide uncropped screenshots, PayPal history, etc.) Sorry if i'm making something so simple into a complicated statement. Just want to make sure. I have experience with handling scam reports for Harpoon so I would like to help out here as well, if possible.
  17. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    We basically don't need users posting in reports unless for the reasons given.
    1. Are the reporter
    2. Are the accused
    3. Are the victim (which should be the reporter)
    4. Have evidence directly related to the SAME INCIDENT
    5. Were given permission by our staff
    We have too many posting in reports saying "Yes that person is a scammer!" or giving things that could compromise how we investigate them then it hurts them rather than help.
    Makes it hard to review them with so many other things posted.. slows the process way down.
  18. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Without the agreement - there is nothing we will investigate there. Talking to his friends is pointless and does not show the intent from the accused.
    If you don't have the required evidence up front then don't make the report - we can't just have reports hovering for days/weeks/months while we wait on it when most of the time someone makes a report then never comes back to it when we need more. We do have people making reports just to get a 'Pending Report' on someones SR profile even if they know they are lacking or they just make it with nothing at all - they have no intentions on coming back to it and hope it gets lost int he backlog - I've made it a task to keep that from happening from the beginning of this year.
    This is why I urge anyone making a report to TAKE THEIR TIME and GATHER EVERYTHING UP FRONT then make the report rather than do it and expect us to ask for everything.
    Quincy likes this.
  19. The Slow Scout

The Slow Scout New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:101591351
    Thank you Horse for responding to my question.
  20. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Np - you can still be active and involved in other ways aside from the reports/appeals here.