1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Accepted Report: 76561198081399403 - ([TF2] Team Fortress 2 Items)

Discussion in 'Archived Reports' started by USAFMike, Dec 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USAFMike

USAFMike New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:20981877
    Scam Report

Report Type: [Money] PayPal scam or scam attempt
    Virtual item type involved: [TF2] Team Fortress 2 Items

Accused profile: 76561198081399403

Victim profile: 76561198002229482

What happened? Description:
    I'm brokering a Burning Flames Law for a friend that unboxed it. Pretty expensive and rare, so I've attracted some big traders. Tooth Fairy came to me and offered $3100 for it. I've seen him around a lot, he's done a ton of trading and PayPal transactions. And he has a lot to lose (his backpack is worth way more than the Law), so I trusted him. It wasn't far from our buyout and we (Davito (the owner of the hat) and I) decided to take the offer. He said he needed to wait a few days to make sure his funds get in.

So fast forward to today. I'm at work and Steam happened to be open on my phone and he messages me saying he has the money. I express my happiness and gave him my Paypal email. He says he needs 30 minutes. I was confused but said ok. I was at work and very busy, but at the same time, I was pumped to get this trade done. 30 minutes passes and he comes back, asks for my Paypal email, and to confirm in chat that the deal was $3100 for a Burning Flames Law. Good to go. Some time goes by and he says he sends the money. I go to PayPal, nothing in my balance and I relay that to him. He posts a screenshot of it saying he sent the money. Looked legit but still no money sent. A lot of time goes by and I ask him to click on the transaction and take a screenshot of that, because something just wasn't right. Then he says for me to wait 5 minutes. Then the screenshot comes and it looks legit but in the "Sent To" part, my last name is misspelled with my email showing the correct email. I didn't know how the heck that was possible. He said it didn't matter but I told him it did. It's automated for PayPal to display the account name associated with the email. I've been using PayPal since 2009. That has never happened (displaying my last name wrong).

More time goes by and he keeps telling me not to worry, it happens, etc etc. He messages me if I'm there and I tell him that I was in the process of sending an email to PayPal and that I was going to call them. He tells me to wait and asks that I keep what he says next private. Now I'm really pissed and concerned. He says he's recently been having a rough time financially and he thought this was a quick way to make money. Goes on saying he was sickened about what he was planning to do in desperate times and for me to send a trade offer back for my items. Now all of that didn't immediately click in my head. He explains that he was going to keep the Law and run because he needed money.

Thankfully, I was able to get the Burning Law back and he repeatedly apologized. Now, I'm very relieved that he snapped out of it and gave it back. But at the same time.....what the hell. After talking with another admin, the PayPal screenshots seemed weirder. As in shopped. There's no way for it to display my info like that with my last name misspelled. I thought he just sent the money, took a screenshot of it, then canceled. But I would've had a notification on my end. Which lead me to believe that's why he took so long when I asked for a screenshot. So I was told he could have inspected the page source, edited the text, saved as a document, and reuploaded. Premeditated stuff like that is just wrong, IF that's the case.​

Provide Evidence:
    I've uploaded screenshots of: our initial agreement for a trade, deal confirmation of $3100 for a Burning Law, me trading him the Burning Law, screenshots of his supposed sent payment of $3100, and his confession of planning to scam me.​

Attached Files:

Mattie! likes this.
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    The two screenshots of the payments you provided - I want them unedited please. @USAFMike
  3. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Also
    Please provide a full screen shot of your Trade Inventory History for last few days to present (NOT TRADE OFFER!!)- open this with a web browser, move your mouse over the users name in question so it shows up the hypertext popup URL at the bottom of the screen - take the screen shot DO NOT edit it in anyway and upload.

I want this done for both trades sending and receiving of the item in question.
  4. USAFMike

USAFMike New User

Steam:
    So, no black lines over the sensitive stuff? And the second one that has the left side deleted, that's the way he sent it to me.
  5. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Don't give me a summary shot then - would rather have activity anyway which won't show "Sensitive stuff" - so the other was what he sent you... how did you receive the image by link or what?
  6. USAFMike

USAFMike New User

Steam:
    Screenshots of the trades. Ctrl + Print Screen won't show my cursor over his name but it shows is info in the bottom.

Attached Files:

7. USAFMike

USAFMike New User

Steam:
    Those screenshots were sent to me via imgur link from him.

I'm uploading a pic of my PayPal activity, showing I didn't receive any payment from him.

Attached Files:

8. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Show me a screenshot of the chat where you got the imgur link and the link itself pasted?
  9. USAFMike

USAFMike New User

Steam:
    Here's the two links he sent me on my phone (I was at work).

Attached Files:

10. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
  11. USAFMike

USAFMike New User

Steam:
    Yeah, that's the first one, and all I did was edit out the names/balance, etc. The second one, you'll see it was already edited. And I only added the black out of names.
  12. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    the first one? you get another?
  13. USAFMike

USAFMike New User

Steam:
    No, the first screenshot as in the one where it actually shows his paypal balance to the left. That's the first one. The second one is the one where, in the chat, I ask for him to click on the transaction and screenshot it. That's the screenshot where the left side is not there.
  14. USAFMike

USAFMike New User

Steam:
    Oh jesus. I didn't even realize he admits he faked the screenshots. Good grief I'm oblivious. In the "Admission of intent to scam" screenshot, he says he used the Inspect Element route to fake the payment. Well, there you go. Pretty much what Butane thought.
  15. Tooth Fairy

Tooth Fairy Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:60566837
    I am not going to sit here and lie about these actions.I don't see any reason other than to just be honest. I was in the need of the money. However the items been returned simply because I am not that guy no matter what my reasons are for the cash. I have had 4 years of service and held middlemans way larger. It was a moment and night of madness from the 4 years of being present in this community. I felt morally awful for my actions hence returning the taken. I'm not going to sit back here and deny the accusation but what I will say is that it was a moment of madness, nothing was scammed or stolen the items were obtained in my backpack for no longer than an hour without being returned. Nothig was scammed and in addition to this I would like to issue my apology here nonetheless. I hope you can understand the drive I needed for capital however I realised I realised I had too many friends here in this community to continue further with such actions as well as the moral disgust I had immediately after.

- tooth
  16. Tooth Fairy

Steam:
    There's been numerous cases of individuals committing charge back scams and returning the money and therefore getting the reputation sorted. I was not in the right frame of mind at all that night, hence such events occurred on one night and one night only. Mike states himself in the report that I have trusted and built a strong image in this community and would be gutted to lose as such from one silly mistake. As I said, there's been various charge backs in the past which were sent back to the rightful people - sorting the incident and their reputation being sorted. Please - do not get me mistaken here what I did is nothing to be proud of and has no excuses no matter what's going on where and when. I realized this immediately after and of course decide to return the items within the hour. No excuse I know but no single items not a cent more remains in my backpack which wrongly not mine.
    I apologize hugely for my actions, it was a stupid error, a blip, and no excuse can cover my actions. The items have all been returned and have seen similar incidents be sorted before (again not using that as any excuse by all means). I simply ask for forgiveness from this stupid mistake I made that night.
  17. USAFMike

USAFMike New User

Steam:
    I am very thankful you returned the hat. But the fact that you faked those PayPal transactions (in the way in which you edited them) and continued to lie when I was questioning it, it's very frustrating and unsettling. Especially considering when we first started talking yesterday I had said I was really busy at work. So all of that unnecessary stress and frustration with this trade gaggle while at work dealing with another kind of stress just really ruined my evening. In one of the screenshots above you say that you "needed money, but not urgently". Well what happens when you desperately need money? Very disappointed and ultimately...pissed.
    Roudydogg1 and Enstage like this.
  18. Tooth Fairy

Steam:
    I know man I am not giving excuses, for what I need money for I don't feel is necessary to publish here whether I needed money or not I feel and think you would agree it doesn't affect what's happened here actually - either way what i did was has no excuse behind it but the point of the Mather in my eyes also I realised it was wrong quite swiftly after it was done which the time logs can show and the items returned.
  19. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    The amount or item isn't important - its the premeditated act to scam someone that is what we are focusing on here.
    When I say premeditated I'm certainly pointing to the fake/adjusted screenshots provided to show funds sent when they weren't.
    Similar acts from others are irrelevant to my decision - regardless of $3100 or $3 it makes no different you had every intention on taking the item and running.
    This may have been an isolated incident but there is no reason anyone can trust you beyond this point IMO.

Regardless of the fact that you were a community Admin which you should have known better right from the get go and shown a good example for the community but you failed that. For all we know you used the tags to show reputation in this or other trades which if that is the case it be even worse IMO.
    Even at this moment you still boast about it on your steam profile as if it means something to show you are a trustworthy user when its the complete opposite.

So due to the evidence and what I've stated above the accused will be tagged/banned.
    A report can also be submitted directly to Valve
    In order to do that, you have to:
    1. Visit the accuseds profile
    2. Click MORE drop-down located at the top right of the page
    3. Choose REPORT VIOLATION
    4. Select the violation, then describe it and provide the evidence
    5. Click SUBMIT REPORT

Click here to view an animated gif that shows how to report a violation.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.