1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Code trade

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by ZooM | CSGOSell.com, Dec 14, 2016.

1. ZooM | CSGOSell.com

ZooM | CSGOSell.com New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:84841559
    So I recently tried to trade with someone, and I had a giftcard I have gotten from my friend. The thing is, how can you trade with giftcards safe?

I asked one guy to send me the item, and I then send him the code. I know, in my mind, that I won't scam, but the other dude don't know that.
    Of course he didn't agree to that.

So, I tried to convince him that he can't be scammed if I send half of the code, and then the other half. After reading some on the internet, this is a famous scam trick.
    He didn't agree to that either. He said he would report me here.

Now, I didn't scam, and it was never my intention to. I even asked him if we can trade with keys instead, but he strictly said no. Will I be banned?
  2. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92811415
    No, there is no "safe" way to trade codes, and SteamRep does not investigate code scams
  3. ZooM | CSGOSell.com

ZooM | CSGOSell.com New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:84841559
    The part where i wrote that I tried to trick him may sound a bit weird. I tried to trick him to feel safe, and then when he sent me his item, I would of sent him the rest.
  4. Dragoon™ ♛ | TRADING

Dragoon™ ♛ | TRADING Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:89145434
    As Nebras said, codes aren't easy to handle in a 'safe' way. There might be some Middlemen out there that handle codes, but it's very delicate. It is always hard since both parties are strangers to eachother and trust is a huge factor when trading codes. It's a common scam method to give 'half' of the code and then give the rest after the trade. You can easily give a fake/made up half of that code and give another part after your trade, it is also really hard to do research on this when handling scam reports.
  5. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    You don't. It might be fairly safe for you if the other guy goes first, but he's right to not agree because there are so many ways it can go wrong for him. Even if you went first, there's no guarantee that gift card wasn't bought with a stolen credit card, for example.

Offering to send half the code up front is something scammers often do, and it's suspicious. I'd have blocked you right then and there. It probably won't get you marked though, because no trade was completed.
  6. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Giving "half" of a code (or any partial code) is beyond worthless and involves zero trust, I could randomly type out some numbers/letters and the user would be none the wiser, very common for scammers to do this as the victim has a false sense of trust getting a "partial" code. No legit MM worth his mind should be involved in such transactions. Even with a full code, we reject virtually every such scam report by policy because its near impossible to prove if the code is/was valid or who/when it was redeemed.
    schmed and a Gentleman like this.