1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

I have been scammed for knives question!

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by OnePumpMan, Jan 7, 2017.

1. OnePumpMan

OnePumpMan New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:161935423
    Hello I got scammed out of skins and there is zero chat logs on steam no evidence at all.
    I reported this scammer to steam, How long does it usually take to get a reply?
    How likely is this scammer going to get a trade ban with zero evidence I can provide =(
    Please help
  2. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
  3. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    You have no proof but want punishment... that won't go far.
    You are telling me you saw Bigfoot yet you have no photo evidence. Ok
  4. OnePumpMan

OnePumpMan New User

Steam:
    Is Skype Logs considered proof to steam? What do you think should I even make a steam support ticket reporting the scammer since there is zero steam chat evidence
  5. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    nope not here they aren't and unlikely Valve will use them either - how do we/they know who you were really talking to..anyone can make up a skype name to say they were that user right.
    Report the user thru steam profile reporting and move on.
  6. OnePumpMan

OnePumpMan New User

Steam:
    Thanks for your time . So what you're saying is since there is zero steam chat logs the scammer is pretty much getting off scott free I wanted him to get trade banned at the very least to prevent him from scamming others.
  7. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    What you want and what you will get is two different things - without proof there is nothing your saying can be said to be valid.
    Be no different than someone saying you scammed them and wanting you trade banned but have no proof to show for it.. I'm sure you would be rather pissed if that was happening right?
  8. OnePumpMan

OnePumpMan New User

Steam:
    Ok I am just going to assume the person who scammed me nothing is going to happen to them ^^
  9. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Why would you agree to move the conversation to Skype to begin with? The only reason I've ever seen anyone request that is because they're trying to cover their tracks. There is no benefit to doing this, and it's a huge red flag you're dealing with a scammer if someone asks you to. Some of the problems with deals made in Skype:
    • Lines in Skype chat can be deleted at any time during or after the conversation. There is nothing you can do to prevent this.
    • Lines in Skype chat can be edited at any time during after being sent. There is nothing you can do to prevent this.
    • Skype screenshots are MUCH easier to fake than Steam, because you can change your display name and there's no way to provably determine the actual account from a screenshot. This gives the scammer plausible deniability.
    • Even if it were possible to establish the Skype conversation took place from a given account and not just something renamed, there is no way to prove or disprove any Skype account belongs to a respective Steam user. This is most common reason scammers request to talk through Facebook or Skype instead of Steam. This applies EVEN IF you video record a voice chat session, because again, we can't prove the accused scammer is the one talking through Skype.
    • (Not applicable to SteamRep) Conversations outside Steam, by nature, happen outside Valve's visibility. Steam Support could theoretically pull up logs of your chat in the event of fraud. Hardly ever happens in practice, but if the scammer is worried about hiding the codes/cash/account trading from Valve to avoid getting banned, they'll often try to move the conversation somewhere else.
    That should also explain why we don't take chat logs from Skype. Like I said, there is zero benefit for you to use Skype when negotiating trades, so pretty much only scammers will ask you to use it.

If you're asking us for a trade ban or other "punishment" or retribution, I'm afraid you misunderstand what we do here. We are not part of Steam Support, and we cannot ban Steam accounts. We're completely unaffiliated and independent volunteers, also regular Steam users, who happen to maintain a public database of known scammers. Our job is to educate and warn people about common types of scams, not some kind of cyber police. The purpose of a scammer tag is a warning label, to prevent other people (those who bother to look the scammer up on steamrep.com) from falling for the same thing, not a punishment to avenge and make you feel better. If you want revenge, go contact Steam Support, or your local police department.

But if you still want to look at it that way, with the "scammer" warning label serving as a punishment instead of warning for the rest of the community, then by moving to Skype you just gave your scammer everything he needs to hide from "justice".
  10. OnePumpMan

OnePumpMan New User

Steam:
    I really do not care about losing my knife I just do not want other people to fall victim to this guy.
    I reported him to steam and provided skype chat logs but I don't think that counts .
    But ATLEAST STEAM CAN SEE that he got a FREE knife and MAYBE trade ban him?
  11. Edward.

Edward. SteamRep Admin Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:30537130
    Steam:
    Getting a trade ban just because someone got a one sided trade without any crucial evidence that can actually prove that the user is a scammer is pretty dumb in my opinion. Not to mention the automated flagging system thingy Steam still has and sometimes trade banning users who are falsely spam reported by many other victims who fell for impersonation scams and similar.
  12. OnePumpMan

OnePumpMan New User

Steam:
    Well correct me if I am wrong but it is rare for people to get one sided trades ? Like i said maybe steam will see that and trade ban him because thats all the evidence I have is him getting the one sided trade
  13. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    I'm a middleman, getting one sided trades is my job. I also run a community where we take donations in return for benefits, my donation bot takes hundreds of one sided trades; I cash it out every so often, meaning even more one sided trades. Also, what about PayPal trades? Where people give items for real money, from Valves perspective those are one sided trades.

So yes, I do believe you are wrong on this one -- one sided trades are awfully common.

By your logic here, any person whose donated to my community could get me trade banned.
  14. Edward.

SteamRep Admin:
    Steam:
    I don't know if you are a newcomer to 'CS:GO' trading but there are many people who are cash trading and yes that is a one sided trade. Same goes for sites like OPSKINS, Bitskins and similar marketplace websites where you send the items before they are up for sale so that's again bunch of one sided trades, as Enstage already mentioned middlemen are getting one sided trades all the time if they're doing middlemanning of course.

As for me I don't even remember when I got a normal "item for item" trade I think it was like 2 years ago or so at least for CS:GO items (my friends sometimes exchange holiday trading cards with me and they send me a normal "item for item" trade), and I'm talking one sided trade offers involving at least $10,000 in 'CS:GO' skins on average per one trade not just a random skin or a few keys. So by your vague logic here most of the people doing this should be banned just because someone randomly spam reports someone else's Steam profile without evidence and for unknown reason(s)?

I understand that you are a bit angry because you got scammed and you seek punishment for that scammer but before you state something so vague please think about it does it make any sense or does it prove anything other than a random one sided trade that happened.
  15. derfy

derfy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:1948671
    I donated some Steam gifts to a user at Christmas and received nothing. So no, it's not a good indicator of 'scammyness'
  16. OnePumpMan

OnePumpMan New User

Steam:
    Legit One sided trades do not get steam ticket reported
  17. Edward.

SteamRep Admin:
    Steam:
    Still reports without evidence should not be considered against anyone, how would you feel if you did a "legit one sided trade" and the other party would report you just like that without evidence and later on you could even get a trade ban because of that report with no valid evidence? There were/are cases even when official middlemen received trade bans because of false reports by the victims that failed to report the actual imposter, and this shows that Steam is still banning users because of false spam reports that will eventually lead to a temporary or permanent trade ban. This can even happen to regular users whos inventories are used by scammers for impersonations so they can defraud the alleged victims, and this scam is pretty common nowadays.
    Not to mention sometimes scammers even fake report people on SteamRep and probably they send the fake report to Steam too so they can get the innocent user/trader SteamRep banned possibly out of revenge or something like that. So saying that legit trades or legit traders do not get reported to Steam or SteamRep is not correct.

I think I concluded my conversation about this topic with you and within this thread, and in my opinion you got your answer for your question already.

Regards!
    SilentReaper(SR) likes this.