1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

How to chargeback correctly?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Zapotec, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Zapotec

Zapotec Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:47844133
    Hello steamrep members.
    Well yust few hours ago got scammed by one person ( he was selling buds via paypal), well i sent money as gift and i didnt get the items...
    Well its not a big of a deal 60 dollars, but still wont let that douche get away with my money :D
    So maybe anyone got experience of chargebacking back the money?

I sent the money as gift, and added notes tf2 items...

What kind of stuff i shoud write in? What proofs? (Well got only the discussion about the trading) Maybe i should calll credit card company? ( Well all the money i have in my paypal account is from tf2) or even i shoud call directly to the paypal company, im living in Latvia so i dont even know if its possible for me to do...
  2. WarNev3rChanges

WarNev3rChanges New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46250366
    I had a similar issue. I wanted to cancel a payment I made as a gift. I even called PayPal. They can't (more likely don't) do anything about money that isn't send as goods or services. He then suggested that I contact my bank or credit card company and begin the chargeback process through them. I paid from balance though, so there's nothing that can be done about it.

Short answer - don't bother calling PayPal. Stop the payment from your bank or credit card company.
  3. AF2 | SPIRIT

AF2 | SPIRIT New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35144733
    Tell PayPal that you did not authorize the payment (aka. you got hijacked), or similar reasons.
    I got chargeback-scammed 2 times, both for "Unauthorized payment".
  4. Starburst

Starburst New User

Don't defraud your banks or paypal, I'm sure they actually care when you defraud them rather then when some user defrauds you.

Further talk about defrauding banks/pp will be deleted, constructive ways to recover lost funds is fine tho.
  5. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    Although your statement about defrauding banks / pp is 100% accurate Starburst, I find it hard to sit back and let someone scam me and not do an "unauthorized account use" transaction dispute. Paypal or your bank do not get defrauded in this case. only person who loses out is the person who the chargeback is against in this case. Paypal will NEVER pay back money if they can not re-acquire the funds back. I have had real life purchases fraud cases (i have been using paypal for almost 15 years) where I did a chargeback on a SALE transaction and on a GIFT transaction where both times they could not get the money back from the frauding account so I got left "s✿✿✿ out of luck" (in different words but the same meaning). I think it is perfectly acceptable to do an "unauthorized use chargeback" if you have genuinely been frauded by sending money first. IF you are wrong and someone files a chargeback case against you and you have no evidence of the fraud happening, you run the risk of getting marked as a scammer, but if the scammer knows he scammed you he will simply attribute the loses to a failed scam. either way, your bank or paypal NEVER eat up the loss. one of the 2 partied involved is always the one to lose out and it is up to you to be honest and right when doing a chargeback, REGARDLESS of how you do it in paypal.
  6. Starburst

Starburst New User

Its fraud no matter who eats the cost.
  7. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    i dont know, i just have to disagree with you. is it fraud if you get back items / money from someone who stole from you without hurting anyone in the process or involving anyone else financially?
    I just cant agree with this generic statement. sorry.