1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Ask A SteamRep Staff Member

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Xenophobia, Jan 14, 2013.

1. soil

soil New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:57579500
    someone added my friend and offered him an item with no price listing on the steam market for my friend's 20$ cosmetic, my friend didnt know the price of the item the scammer offered, so he made a steam discussion and asked if the trade is worth it, 3 users replied with yes and kept encouraging him to do the trade, but then i looked into their steam profiles and they all were friends, it seemed like a scam so i said so in the steam discussion and then the 3 users stopped replying on the discussion, then my friend told the scammer about this and the scammer told him they were his friends and they were trying to "help" him get that cosmetic for a set of items he want, also when my friend was in the chat window a message popped up to tell him that the scammer has been reported previously for scams. my friend also took screenshots of everything.

is this be considered a scam or what?
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    SR doesn't get involved with pricing/Value disputes - if you don't think the trade is worth it then don't do the trade.
  3. Emmathatsme

Emmathatsme New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:68138994
    Hello, i was wondering if it is okay if i post a scam report for my friend.

I didn't see anything in the FAQS about it being allowed or not.
  4. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92811415
  5. Caustle

Caustle New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:77282680
    Hi, I have a question. I'm planning to open up a commission style of work on steam profiles, and maybe drawings in the future. I want to know if I can do this type of business (get paid first, commission later) and not be reported. If I do get reported, because people think I'm scamming them, how do I dispute and prove that I'm innocent? I also don't know how to increase my trust rating, when dealing with 'pay first' method.
  6. ♠ Journey

♠ Journey New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:67772179
    Steamrep does not investigate something like that, it has to be in the realm of steam trading.

https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/steamrep-investigative-policy.140101/
    #1 of non investigated reports

As far as your reputation, you are free to make a reputation thread on a partner community that hosts them. The reputation within the thread should only consist of trades that involve risk (paypal, brokering etc.).
    But in your case for Artwork------>$ may or may not be accepted as official reputation as the burden of proof can be a problem, in which you would have to check the communities reputation thread constraints.
  7. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92811415
    additionally, you will never get banned because someone suspects you're doing a scam, you'll only get banned if you actually scam someone or do a clear scam attempt
  8. ReSPeKt

ReSPeKt New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:67306242
    Hello.I would like to ask something related to tags.I am an admin at a quite big CSGO trading site, and we are starting to get impersonators trying to scam our users.My question is, how can someone add let's say either a tag or a note alerting users of possible scams in their steamrep page, and also, what criteria does someone have to meet to get such tags/notes?Thanks in advance.
  9. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Hi @ReSPeKt, we can display public notes on profiles, but only for staff of affiliated communities, at request of said community's owner. Such notes appear under "Additional Info from Administrators". (Example.)

If you have a large trading community, especially centered in CS:GO, I recommend reviewing our criteria for friend communities, then having the site owner fill out this application to apply. Please bear in mind, you should be applying in the interest of working with SteamRep to curb scamming, not for your own special recognition.
  10. ReSPeKt

ReSPeKt New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:67306242
    That really clears it up, thanks.
  11. KıłłSwitch

KıłłSwitch New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:88099408
    So, I'm here to discuss about why you guys don't analyze reports in other languages. Damn, I got one report of scammer denied because the chat image (proof) was in portuguese. So I sent another, without the chat image, and the guy told me that wasn't a scam situation. Both of my reports locked by ЩĄ | Horse, because of some stupid s✿✿✿. I mean, why can't you get some guys who can help you in reports that are in other languages? In a forum like this, that wants to help the community, should have more capacitated personal. That's why most of those cases finish in nothing.
  12. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    Report them to partner communities with people that can speak that language. I see you're writing in Portuguese, I know that we do accept reports at FoG ( https://f-o-g.trade/ ) for that language- can't speak for other communities.
    KıłłSwitch likes this.
  13. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    We'd have to be able to guarantee their availability to properly handle the appeal at any later point. Having a single staff who happens to know another language is nice, but staff will come and go over time, and we don't want to be stuck sorting out the finer details of a trade agreement where nobody on staff sufficiently knows the language to fairly handle the case.

Therefore, we leave it up to partner communities from around the world who may have dedicated staff speaking various languages.
  14. KıłłSwitch

KıłłSwitch New User

Steam:
    Well, this explains a lot. Thanks for answering. I'm gonna report my situation on that forum.
  15. KıłłSwitch

KıłłSwitch New User

Steam:
    I really want to thank you, man. He got what he deserved. But let me ask one more thing: I know you guys aren't related to Valve, but will the guy I reported get a ban in Steam? Or at least increases his chances to get one?
  16. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Nobody gets what they deserve - remember this system is for educational purposes not a form of punishment so make sure you understand our purpose.
    Nothing we do here thru our database will result in any action from Valve/Steam - we are in no way affiliated with them.
    The tags here are only applied as a form of warning to others that this user had some issues/history and they should trade with caution to this user if at all.
  17. Another Evan

Another Evan New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:38720048
    Hello, I'm one of the currently active moderators on tf2r.com, hopefully this is an acceptable place to ask this.
    A bit over a week ago all the mods/admins on our site lost our trusted tags, I won't try to argue with this decision, I was just wondering why the decision was made.
    If it's because our site hasn't been as relevant for a while I understand, although I did usually enjoy giving safe trading advice to the random people who would add me from here.
    If it was because of an action made by a member of staff that showed an untrustworthy nature, I was not aware of any such activity and I apologize. Thank you for your time, have a good day.
  18. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    @Another Evan, you should talk to your comm leaders, we discussed it with them prior to any changes we made, this is not going to be the right place to talk about it otherwise. If you still have questions after speaking with your comm leaders, you should contact our PR team directly.
  19. GingaNinja 2

GingaNinja 2 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:101155028
    i found a scammer
    {removed}
    he tried to scam me. I started messing with him because i knew he was scamming. he figured out he wouldn't get me and then blocked me.
    ban him
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2017
  20. GingaNinja 2

GingaNinja 2 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:101155028
    before he gets someone else