1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

I think I'm getting scammed...

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by 「Not a Weeb」, Jan 5, 2018.

1. 「Not a Weeb」

「Not a Weeb」 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:49160223
    I think I'm getting scammed by these two:

(removed)

I'm not sure whether or not to trust them. If this is a scam then I already lost my items, something I can live with, but they want my account username and my Mobile authenticator number now, I'm fine with losing items but I refuse to give up my account. Need advice.

Iikka.PNG Iikka 2.PNG Curiosity.PNG
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative).**
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2018
  2. 「Not a Weeb」

「Not a Weeb」 New User

Steam:
    Sorry the images posted twice, I'm new to this forum and forums in general.
  3. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Hey, thanks for uploading the screenshots as attachments instead of deeplinking them from another site. I removed the Steam profile links from your post, because we don't name and shame outside of actual scam reports, in the interest of not inciting witch hunts and upholding stringent evidence requirements before trashing someone's reputation. What you're describing is definitely a scam though, and a very common one at that. I recommend taking your evidence, and filling out a scam report. Just like you did here, upload your evidence as attachments.

No need to try embedding your screenshots though, it just makes the whole page harder for our staff to read (hence why I turned your attachments into thumbnails).
  4. 「Not a Weeb」

「Not a Weeb」 New User

Steam:
    I think my account just got stolen, i need help now, like seriously, they've already gotten my email and passsword
  5. 「Not a Weeb」

「Not a Weeb」 New User

Steam:
    I feel so stupid, I should've just waited. I'm gonna lose all my stuff now. I managed to lock the account, but im not sure what damage they managed to do
  6. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
  7. 「Not a Weeb」

「Not a Weeb」 New User

Steam:
    I already did, about how long do these take, I don't know if I can sleep with all this stress.
    BTW if I start saying the problem is fixed here then it probably isn't me.
  8. 「Not a Weeb」

「Not a Weeb」 New User

Steam:
    Also do stolen accounts usually get recovered?
    I don't want to let any of my friends down.
  9. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    Yes, stolen accounts are usually recovered.

But you should make sure you change your email password as well, especially if it was the same as your Steam password, or if you gave that to the scammer. Or else the scammer will prevent you from getting it back and use your email account to take over anything else he can find in your life (Facebook/Twitter, banking, other accounts, etc).
  10. 「Not a Weeb」

「Not a Weeb」 New User

Steam:
    I made sure to change the password on my email account, and my steam account thankfully didn't seem to be linked to my bank account so that didn't take a hit. I am surprised as to how quickly they managed to do it but I am relieved by the fact that they usually recover these.
    Thanks for the help, I'll probably post something on this account or another tomorrow.
  11. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
  12. 「Not a Weeb」

「Not a Weeb」 New User

Steam:
    The issue got resolved at around 7 AM today, account is back in my possession, thanks for the help I'll definitely try to be more careful next time.
  13. GoProJuns

GoProJuns New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:195993160
    You should do a full computer scan to see if there are any viruses he may have transmitted to your computer.

Also check out: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

It will tell you whether you account has been compromised
  14. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    That won't help out at all. The website in question tells you if you're in a full user/password list from a data breach - in layman terms, when an entire website is successfully hacked - not if you yourself fell for a phishing scam.

We already established that the OP's account and password were compromised, because they explicitly gave it to the scammer.
  15. GoProJuns

GoProJuns New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:195993160
    Sorry about the mess-up up, I'll keep that in mind next time.