1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Suggsetion

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Legendary Derp Dog, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Legendary Derp Dog

Legendary Derp Dog New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:34039137
    I have an idea for the forum, that is a official that official steam adminstrators and develelpors have their own tag, so they can easyily be identidified as the real deal. It would also be harder to impersonate them, if this feature were implemented,
  2. Sniper Pro

Sniper Pro FirePowered Head Admin Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49525162
    If you're suggesting that on these forums, SteamRep staff members are labeled as such, then that's already the case. Both Moderators and Admins are labeled under their profile pictures. You'll notice this is also the case with community admins, such as myself and others.

If that's not what you mean, then I'm a bit confused what you're suggesting.
  3. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    Valve employees have tags on steamrep.com, last I heard the process was automatic (somewhat); don't think they have tags on forums.steamrep.com tho, but I've never seen one here so you've got me on that one.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  4. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    There is no such thing as a "Steam administrator" per se, only Valve employees, who all have access but will seldom interact with the community. They will automatically receive a banner when they log in through Steam. They just don't appear very often.

There is no reason to flag general game developers, because (if garbage in the Steam Store is any indication) there's a very low bar to entry, and there have been a number of documented cases where developers used that position to scam. We don't want to wrongly identify a Steamworks developer as trustworthy or credible.
    The forums are actually set up to automatically recognize and tag Valve employees too now, should one ever decide to post here.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating, SteamRep Friend Members, SteamRep Partner Members, Valve (Automatic)).**
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  5. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92811415
    I'm not sure what he meant, game devs definitely shouldn't have any special tags, but maybe steam community moderators?
  6. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    I dont think their is any functional reason for them to be flagged as such.
  7. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    I agree, but they are still trusted members in the community that are commonly impersonated
  8. You Are The One

Steam:
    Without a functional purpose/reason, its pointless. IMO.
    All issued tags have a functional reason/purpose, their actually was another "category" of users but that group was shut down years and years ago, they did not have a functional purpose for SRs sake. I actually think tags increase the likelihood of being impersonated and why I dont like wearing one.

Also, I know of at least one community moderator who abused their position and was removed by Valve/tagged on SR for scamming.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative).**
  9. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    What is the purpose for Valve employee tags?
  10. You Are The One

Steam:
    Lava's above post hinted at that already. Nice try tho.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  11. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    Impersonated? Yes. Trusted? Open to debate. They're "trusted" in that they have privileged access in Steam, and (presumably) haven't abused that access much, but as YATO above mentioned, there has been at least one case of a mod abusing that position. We run exhaustive background checks here, but not much is known about how Valve selects Steam moderators, except that they haven't hired any new ones for at least 3 years.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative).**
    Roudydogg1 and a Gentleman like this.
  12. Legendary Derp Dog

Steam:
    As you all seems slighty confused about what i mean, i will try to describe the best way possible what i mean.

I mean that i noticed that the volunteer adminstrator dont have tags when you look up their profil on steamrep.com and i have before witnessed somebody get scammed by an impersonator,

so what i suggest is putting tags on the real ones to distinguish them from impersonators.
  13. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Who are you referring to?
  14. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    What is a volunteer administrator?

Steamrep is not a repository for positive rep. Middlemen on the list are only tagged green due to their very specific, highly vetted position in the community. Someone being red means they're a scammer, someone being anything else means that you need to do your own research to determine whether or how to trust someone. In the case of a "volunteer administrator" there should be some other thing from what they administrate, and it's up to your judgement whether that rank means you want to trust them or not.

Considering how many scammers convince people of things just by sending a link rather than the person putting in the steamid themselves positive tagging smartly is not going to happen.
  15. Edward.

Edward. SteamRep Admin Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:30537130
    Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:30537130
    The most common scam is that malicious users tend to impersonate community admins and middlemen. Some people especially those who don't check users by themselves are getting scammed the most and in some situations they come and blame the real community admin or middlemen for the scam that occurred and they fail to find the impersonator who scammed them. Just had a situation like this recently but the alleged victim who got scammed by an impersonator of mine is just too lazy to check his Inventory History and find the impersonator so he can file a report.

Only "Administrators" tagged on SteamRep are SteamRep admins and partner community admins that's it, there isn't any other "volunteer administrator" other than I already mentioned previously.
  16. Legendary Derp Dog

Steam:
    I meant the steam community admins, as they are commonly impersonated to lure skins from unsuspecting users,

I have heard of impersonators treating to ban users from the discussion boards of various games that has a a large trade community like csgo and tf2, were the the impersonator would go after unskilled traders, and other newcommers that seems like easy victims, and then tell them that they broke a rule or were suspected of scamming treathing to ban them if they didnt give as skin.

thefor i think the official community mods/admins should have a special tag when looking them up on steamrep so they can be distuingquished from impersonators.
  17. You Are The One

Steam:
    Nearly a week with over a dozen replies from multiple community leaders and back to square one. Awesome, take care guys.
    Roudydogg1 and Nebras like this.
  18. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    There is no such thing. That's a made up term used by scammers, and yes they will threaten to ban you from forums, lock your account, VAC ban you, and more. They're lying, and trying to scare you into giving them your skins. No "admin" of any kind has any reason to take your skins. Ever. If someone claims to be a "Steam community admin", that's a 100% sign you're dealing with a scammer.

Based on the terminology you're using, I suspect you've seen a handful of guides explaining the importance of "item verification" and obeying/respecting "Steam admins", so let me make this very clear. They're all FAKE - written by scammers themselves. We have reported probably hundreds of them, if not more, only to have them re-posted a couple days after being deleted. Unfortunately, Steam has a problem with scammers, and one of the common things scammers spam is fake guides with maliciously wrong information, which they use as a pretext to steal items. There are no "admins" to impersonate.
    • Our own admins are already tagged in our database (example).
    • Admins from our partner communities are already tagged in our database (example).
    • Valve employees are already tagged in our database with a special, distinct tag to differentiate them from others (example).
    • When asked, Steam moderators have told us they prefer not to be tagged, so they aren't. Additionally, none of the moderators trade as far as I know, and few if any are even familiar with trading, so tagging them in our database is pointless.
      Hidden Content:
      **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    • "Steam community admins" don't exist. That's a made up term - one of several, actually - which scammers use to try and scare kids into giving away their skins. There are exactly zero legit steam community admins for us to tag.
    Sniper Pro and Roudydogg1 like this.
  19. Sniper Pro

Sniper Pro FirePowered Head Admin Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49525162
    Seeing this reply, perhaps it would make sense to then change the "Community Admins" tab of the SteamRep page to "Partner Admins" to avoid confusing people.
    Lava, Enstage, schmed and 2 others like this.